Speaker Size Need

sc300rye1

No, they are absolutely not six inch unless the '92 is a unique run.

As I type this my 1994 SC300 seat cushions and speaker trim deck are out of my car and I can walk into the garage and stare at the 4" factory component speakers.

I am installing new component speakers (6-1/4") this week and will have to do major fabrication to get them to fit.

Two weeks ago I was in a salvage yard (TAP in Sacramento). I saw the remains of as least six different SC300-400, all had the exact same rear deck speaker cuts as my 4".

So I'll respectfully disagree with AWJ, who I would refer to as the oracle of this forum on these things 99% of the time.

:rolleyes:

So maybe they are 4". Honestly, I don't give a hoot about the sound system. Typically, most cars run sixers or 6*9 in the rear deck. So I'm surprised they are not. But I didn't go look or even consult the manual - so there you have it. Honestly, how hard is it to pull the panel in the trunk and take a tap measure to it? Or do a search?

... Oh yea, they are 4 inches?... that's pretty damn small.

Carry on...

I actually don't think they're 4" because they look bigger than that but who knows.

I was not expressing an opinion on sc300rye1's question. Who knows?; those who have looked and done the work know. I am doing these speakers right now, I can look at them and have digital pictures of what the whole thing looks like, including a tape measure that reads 4" when you apply it to the rear mid-range speaker.

Tell me how to post a picture here and I'll put it up.

:whistles:

The speakers are 4" all around and a 10" subwoofer. In the rear deck, though, the 4" sit in a plastic pod. If you remove the pod with the paper wizzer they put there, I've heard of people dropping 6.5" in there without a problem. I haven't done it yet, so I don't know the exact size of the opening.

t0ked is correct. The 4" rear speaker sit in a plastic pod. I removed mine yesterday. The paper cone was competely gone. The sun had dried it to dust. The hole in the metal rear deck is 4 1/4 inches in dia. and the span across the specker bolt down holes is 7 inches. I am going today and find a speker that will fit the precut opening. I will post the size that fits --hopefully-- tomorrow.

• 6 months later...
It all depends. I had my upgraded to 6in by the Lexus dealership when I first purchased my SC in '92. Best thing to do is just call your Lexus dealership and give them your vin #. They should have it on file.

Factory upgrade to 6" speakers? This is the first I've heard of such a thing, especially since the door mounts would have to be totally different. I'd love to upgrade to 6 1/2's in the front, but it looks like a bunch of work to me. If this is indeed untrue, maybe the mods should consder editing that post to stop misinformation.

if you look underneath your rear panel at the speakers where the tank is. it looks like a 6 1/2 inch because the magnet is the same size as the cone. you can easily cut that metal to fit any size speaker you want. the fronts would be much harder to fit a diff size speaker because of depth issues and the fact that the surroundings of the speakers drop off.

I didn't have time to read over all of the arguing, but I will reinforce whomever is correct by stating the obvious (to me) fact below:

The real deck can have one of two configurations:

1) Approx 7" sub woofer fit in a 10" bracket + two 4" rounds fit into 6.5" brackets

2) 10" sub woofer + two 4" rounds fit into 6.5" brackets

God only knows why Lexus did such a thing (fitting smaller speakers into brackets of different sizes), but they did. It's quite easy to fit actual 6.5" speakers into the rear with a dremel tool (a VERY fast drill): you can either cut out the excess metal or make "washers" out of the brackets (that's what I've done to all 3 of my Lexî).

Listen to an experienced Lexus member... there are NOT 6.x" speakers in any OEM setup in any SC Lexus!

I've installed a system in my SC and I was able to put a 6 1/2" Coaxial in the rear deck. I installed a Pioneer TSG1647, it's specially made to fit GM & Infiniti 6 3/4" I then bent the connectors down a bit so they won't touch. The other thing you have to do is drill holes for the screws, as there are no existing holes that you can just put them into. I drilled from under and angled the screw in.

for the fronts, I installed a 6 1/2" Nakamichi, these wouldn't fit in the back because of the basket. But there's a whole lot of room up front to put them in, you just have to remove the whole speaker pod. I ghetto rigged it by just removing the front of the pod where the 4" sits and screwed the 6 1/2 in.

For the original sub, I removed it so that more bass could come through, but you must retain the bracket the light sits on.

Another thing that I thought, since our SCs are factory amplified, I'm not sure you can just buy any speaker and replace it, because the factory amp and speaker have different ohms. Kind of like the Bose systems. You might have to do a whole system replacement, which is what I did.

But to conclude 6 1/2" fit.

I've installed a system in my SC and I was able to put a 6 1/2" Coaxial in the rear deck. I installed a Pioneer TSG1647, it's specially made to fit GM & Infiniti 6 3/4" I then bent the connectors down a bit so they won't touch. The other thing you have to do is drill holes for the screws, as there are no existing holes that you can just put them into. I drilled from under and angled the screw in.

for the fronts, I installed a 6 1/2" Nakamichi, these wouldn't fit in the back because of the basket. But there's a whole lot of room up front to put them in, you just have to remove the whole speaker pod. I ghetto rigged it by just removing the front of the pod where the 4" sits and screwed the 6 1/2 in.

For the original sub, I removed it so that more bass could come through, but you must retain the bracket the light sits on.

I'd give anything to see a pic of your 6 1/2" door install. Just by looking at the arm rest on the door panel, it looks nearly impossible to fit a larger speaker than stock, unless it was recessed deeper into the door. I'm beginning to hate the sound of my front stage, so fitting some nice warm 6 1/2's would be a welcome change. What model Nak did you use for the front?

• 17 years later...
On 9/10/2003 at 9:52 AM, SCoupe said:

I was not expressing an opinion on sc300rye1's question. Who knows?; those who have looked and done the work know. I am doing these speakers right now, I can look at them and have digital pictures of what the whole thing looks like, including a tape measure that reads 4" when you apply it to the rear mid-range speaker.

Tell me how to post a picture here and I'll put it up.

:whistles:

Imgur is where you want to put the pics then copy the url and post it here.

So I was told today 4 inch speakers.  
Im going to ask what size are the door speakers and what size are the rear deck speakers?  Since the OEM aren’t available what speaker will fit the front doors?  I’ve got some troubleshooting to do to get my Nakahishi did I spell it right?) radio to sound right.  After the speakers I’ll try the amplifier.