How To Access The Power Antenna?

Badams

On my 1999 LX470 the antenna recently stopped going up and down. It is stopped half way up. I have tried the up and down button for the antenna in the car and hear what sounds like the electric motor running for the antenna but it does not move. When I turn the car off there is a loud sound that is clearly the motor trying to pull the antenna down but it does not move. I have tried lubricating the antenna but that does not seem to be the problem as the loose sections of the partially extended antenna appear to move very easily. I removed the chrome ring that I thought would release the antenna but it would not come out. I started looking at the bolts under the hood that look like they would release the front right quarter panel but chickened out at that point :-). Any advice or direction as to troubleshoot / solve this problem ... including alternate antenna solutions if it sounds like my only option would be to replace the antenna electric motor? Directions as to how to access / remove the antenna would be greatly appreciated :-)

Sounds like its just the antenna rod thats broken. The fact that you can hear the motor is a good sign. The antenna rod has a nylon cord inside with teeth. Most likely some of the teeth are broken. You don't have to remove the antenna assembly to change the antenna rod. Unfortunately I've never replace one before, but I've some do it, and it doesn't look too dificult.

I just replaced mine and it's pretty easy, helps to have someone inside the truck. I purchased the replacement mast at the Toyota dealer, it is a universal part. Loosen the chrome ring and when you start the vehicle the antenna will start to go up just keep pulling it and the person inside should push the UP on the power button to extended all the way. You should notice how the teeth are facing when you pull out the old. Insert the new mast as far as you can and the person inside should turn the car off so the motor grabs the teeth and pulls the mast into the fender. Make sure you put the chrome ring on the mast before inserting and tighten it after the mast has been pulled back completely.

Next time I'll remember to lower all the way when going through the car wash!

I just replaced mine and it's pretty easy, helps to have someone inside the truck. I purchased the replacement mast at the Toyota dealer, it is a universal part. Loosen the chrome ring and when you start the vehicle the antenna will start to go up just keep pulling it and the person inside should push the UP on the power button to extended all the way. You should notice how the teeth are facing when you pull out the old. Insert the new mast as far as you can and the person inside should turn the car off so the motor grabs the teeth and pulls the mast into the fender. Make sure you put the chrome ring on the mast before inserting and tighten it after the mast has been pulled back completely.

Hi, first a quick hello, as I am new to this forum. Have a LX470 in addition to an 2003 M5, and a 1995 928 GTS, and a '08 Rubicon on order.

Hope to be able to contribute.

Anyhow, my antenna internal mast appears to have snapped oof within the motor, as nothing comes up when I remove the antenna. How do I get to the motor to remove the old antenna? Through the wheel well looks like my best guess. Any help for this not so mechanically inclined newbie would be appreciated.

• 2 months later...

Hi, first a quick hello, as I am new to this forum. Have a LX470 in addition to an 2003 M5, and a 1995 928 GTS, and a '08 Rubicon on order.

Hope to be able to contribute.

Anyhow, my antenna internal mast appears to have snapped oof within the motor, as nothing comes up when I remove the antenna. How do I get to the motor to remove the old antenna? Through the wheel well looks like my best guess. Any help for this not so mechanically inclined newbie would be appreciated.

come on someone please reply as I have the same problem and joined this forum today to try and find out how to take off the antenna motor???

Thanks for any help

• 4 weeks later...

I am about to have my mechanic do this bit for me. It's accessed under the hood via the bolts that hold on that quarter panel. His explanation was rather lengthy, and intimidating enough (and I completely trust this guy--if he thought I could/should do it myself, I think he would have told me). So, for about $100, it'll be done, and done right...

Good luck...