Bad Steering Pump?

VMF

i was askin this question b4 but no clear response was given. my steering wheel is really hard to turn. and i mean really hard. you have to really apply force to turn it. its not like this all the time but once a day i get this. there are no leaks anywhere and no noises as well. i'm lost. i dont know what to do. i saw a good deal on ebay for a rebuilt steering pump. should i get it? should i change it? what else could it be?

VMF I can turn mine with about one finger. Definitely sounds like something is wrong. Do you hear any noise or anything? The other thing it could be and I hate to even bring this up, is the steering rack. I was looking at mine when I was changing the oil and it leaks but not enough to drip. They don't look like they're much fun to replace. I saw a show TWO GUYS GARAGE where they changed a steering rack. Mannnnnnnnnn!

I replaced my PS pump at 121,000 because it was starting to leak and I didn't want to wipe out the alternator. It still worked great, just leaked. In my Cadillac I had the PS pump leaking for two or three years until it got so bad I had to park it in the street because my driveway looked like Saudi Arabia with all the oil. I think they run forever or until they run out of fluid. The Cady's pump sang like a canary when it was empty and I just filled it and it went on and on.

Sounds really weird. I've been working on cars for a long time and I've never heard of one getting bad like yours. Maybe it' something to do with the speed sensitive steering and a sensor is bad or something. I'd probably take it to the dealer for a diagnosis and pay them the 100 bucks to diagnose.

Might end up being your best bet. I'm gonna do that with my AC problem.

in my experince the dealer after gettin 100$ from me told me exaclty what i told him:) plus he told me i need to change my spark cables and plugs..... i changed them like 1 week b4 i went to the dealer and it was hard not to notice the new wires.... he prolly didnt even open the hood:(

ok class is over goin home:)

Years ago GM had a problem with some car models power steering racks having "morning sickness". The cars were very hard to steer until after the power steering fluid heated up and then the power steering was normal. Maybe your rack is having a similar problem, don't know, just a thought. It was a rack problem, not the pumps in that case.

Curt

nah thats not the problem in this case. i have morning sickness on my legend. when its really cold outisde. i mean the water is freezing and stuff the rack is frozen as well. cant urn steering wheel at all or it turns but really hard

ok, you forced me to read the shop manual. Wasn't even aware of it but there is an electronic control unit for the power steering that controls a solenoid in a control valve located on the rack. The solenoid controls steering effort, when checking, manual says that at idle, it should take a max of 8.8 lbs steering effort and when you disconnect connector to solenoid, steering effort should almost double to 15.5 lbs max. If steering effort does not increase with the solenoid disconnected, manuall says replace solenoid/control valve on rack. The power steering ecu output is controlled by the vehicle speed signal. The solenoid connector is located on the rack, near where the power steering hydraulic lines attach. I assume this electronic control is for increased steering effort at higher speeds. Sounds like a fairly simple check and it might be worth while to make sure your high steering forces are not caused by the power steering ecu or wiring or a loose connector?? Just a thought.

Curt

:cheers:Going thru your post, I thought it would be possible for that solenoid to be bad. Also you might want to flush the Power Steering system and replace the fluid. It's not hard to do. I have done it , and I replaced the fuid using brand new type IV ATF.

( Be careful not to soak the alternator down below, ask a friend to help you flush the system) I can give you detailed instructions how to do it. Let me know.

:ph34r:welgaby@msn.com :ph34r:

obergc where is the connector located? please tell me.

mig25 can you tell me how to do the flush on my own? i was thinking of doing it but didnt know how. your help would be greatly appreciated.

The connector to the solenoid is located under the car (naturally), near where the steering column attachs to the rack. At least that is where it is shown in my shop manual, if you have a DVM, solenoid coil should measure 6 to 11 ohms. good luck.

Curt