Ticking Lifters

IlyaIlya

Hey, I have a 97 es300 with 140k miles on it. Since i bought it 3 yrs ago I had a TICKING sound from engine. SOme said its injectors, but I think its lifters.

I tried using thicker oil - no help. I tried lucas oil added with oil change, so far its a bit better, but not all gone. ANy real way to get rid of the ticking or quiten it some more without replacing lifter?

thank you

I guess no real simple fix with oils etc for it. Thanks

I guess I will just have to live with the Ticking ;)

I remember when you first bought your ES..........you came over to my house, and I heard the ticking. I mentioned at that time it sounded like some of your valve lifters needed adjustment or replacement. I'm surprised that it's been about 3 years already!

Like you mentioned, you either have to live with the ticking or spend big bucks to have this engine work done. :cries:

HEy ALan, yep, its been a while. 3 years went by quick. I see you got a 07 es350, nice looking car, you got to let me drive it once ;)

Hope everything is well, I guess I will just live with the ticking ( which I did for 3 yrs already) . I might try to sell it and maybe pick up a vette, m3, or something else. But for now $ is tight so not sure if I will choose that route.

thanks

Ilya

the average person could adjust the valves & fix the top-end oil leaks from rotting seals in a weekend with about 40 bucks.

the key is getting all the measuring done ASAP by sat afternoon. that way you can call a toyota deal while it's open & be sure to have the needed shims on-hand to put it back together.

it's not hard, it just takes some time. re-use shims where possible too.

I've got the same problem if it makes you feel any better lol... hardly bothers me tbh. I can't hear em inside the car so it's all good.

NO IT DOES NOT Make me feel better ; ) ye inside the car you can not hear it, but when you come out its a bit annoying, or if you end up opening a window standing next to a car you hear it resinating. BUt not really huge deal. I probably will keep the car for another 2 yrs like this. Have to fix the rear rattle though, its starting to annoy me a bit . I believe its the bushings.

thanks

• 6 months later...

I have a noticable ticking engine that ticks all the time-

Not low on oil-

Ticking speeds up with engine speed-

I have to replace the valve cover gaskets here soon, what should I look for regarding lifters-

I'm going to attempt to adjust valves as well...

• 12 years later...
  • 9 months later...

I also have a 96 ES300. It has been very hard to find anything about it. Always 97 and up, occasionally a 92 or something. It has a ticking noise as well that also picks up with the RPMs. I ran a scan on her with a personal scanner, got back 2 to 3, maybe 4 codes, stating issues with the EGR and exhaust recirculation systems. Could this have anything to do with or contribute to the tapping and/or vice versa? I'm no mechanic but I can keep a car going, don't need a college degree to reverse engineer. Its basic bolts, nuts, screws, hoses, etc.. Not familiar with foreign, my first foreign model. Really different!! But she also has 287k miles. She's in good mechanical shape for that age and has a lot of sentimental value! So much so i will not sell it for less than 2x the Blue Book, also I absolutely fell in love with this car! Any advice or knowledge it greatly appreciated!

• 1 month later...

Add 1 pint to 1 quart of Dexron III/IV to engine oil to replace the same volume of engine oil at oil change.  The ATF is a lubricant, but a very high detergent lubricant and it will disolve the varnish on the components of the hydraulic lifters allowing proper pump-up of the lifters and eliminate most if not all ticking of the lifters.  It also improves oil flow to the top of the cylinder heads to improve lubrication of the valve stems and seals.  This has worked for me in EVERY car I have owned, foreign and domestic, for the past 50 years.  It will not harm the engine.  It has not harmed any of mine.  Also, after the lifter noise has been fixed, exchange 1 quart of oil for 1 quart of Rislone Oil Additive (another high detergent engine additive to prevent varnishing of engine parts) with EVERY routine oil change.  Also, try to not run too far past oil change recommended mileage.  There is NO reason you cannot attain 250K+ miles on your automobile if properly maintained.