2002 Gs300 Brakes And Rotors Replacement Cost ?

My 2002 GS300 has after market front brakes. The car vibrates on braking at any speed and the Lexus dealer thinks that putting new Lexus brake pads (front and back) and replacing all the 4 rotors would solve the problem. I was quoted $1200 for the job !!!

- what would be the reasonable cost for this ?

- is there any special thing required that I have to get this done by Lexus dealer ?

- what is the expected cost for just machining the rotors ?

Thanks for your help

PeeAm

My 2002 GS300 has after market front brakes. The car vibrates on braking at any speed and the Lexus dealer thinks that putting new Lexus brake pads (front and back) and replacing all the 4 rotors would solve the problem. I was quoted $1200 for the job !!!

- what would be the reasonable cost for this ?

- is there any special thing required that I have to get this done by Lexus dealer ?

- what is the expected cost for just machining the rotors ?

Thanks for your help

PeeAm

questions:

1. what brand of aftermarket brakes do you have, and specifically what? pads? drilled/slotted discs? or some sort of big brake upgrade?

2. are you singling out the front brakes for some reason? who did the work? if there is a specific reason for the front brakes to be bad i don't understand why the rears have to be done as well unless they are worn out.

a private mechanic quoted me $75 to machine four discs, including re/re, but my rears are almost at min. allowable thickness, and my rear pads are at below 50%, so there was no choice but to replace.

but as for the $1200 cost from the dealer... it sounds about right for 4 pads and discs, plus re/re labor, and it may also include having to bleed the brakes if necessary.

questions:

1. what brand of aftermarket brakes do you have, and specifically what? pads? drilled/slotted discs? or some sort of big brake upgrade?

2. are you singling out the front brakes for some reason? who did the work? if there is a specific reason for the front brakes to be bad i don't understand why the rears have to be done as well unless they are worn out.

a private mechanic quoted me $75 to machine four discs, including re/re, but my rears are almost at min. allowable thickness, and my rear pads are at below 50%, so there was no choice but to replace.

but as for the $1200 cost from the dealer... it sounds about right for 4 pads and discs, plus re/re labor, and it may also include having to bleed the brakes if necessary.

The car was 3 years old when I bought it and only at the service at a Lexus dealer I discovered the after-market front brakes. The dealer told me that both the front and the rear pads have adequate thickness and therefore not considered a safety risk. But I guess that they would like to replace them along with new rotors to solve the vibration problem- maybe a sledgehammer approach. Should I just try to get the rotors machined at some private mechanic ?

$1200.00 sounds cheap to me. My Lexus service dept wanted about twice that for brakes and rotors on my old ES300 (1995, 175k mi, 20% left on brake pads).

There was a lot more wrong with the ES, so I just traded the whole thing in towards my GS300

you guys are mad... I paid 120 for pads, 400 for new rotors, and a shop charged 100 to put it all on. $620 out the door

buy your own parts from lexus online parts places like sewell lexus parts..and bring it all to a shop for installation. youll save a ton

you guys are mad... I paid 120 for pads, 400 for new rotors, and a shop charged 100 to put it all on. $620 out the door

buy your own parts from lexus online parts places like sewell lexus parts..and bring it all to a shop for installation. youll save a ton

Point taken- would you recommend installation at a Lexus dealer or any half decent mechanic can do it ?

• 3 weeks later...

Point taken- would you recommend installation at a Lexus dealer or any half decent mechanic can do it ?

Any half decent mechanic can do it, its not a hard or complicated job. Just find a place with a decent rep and you should be fine. Thats one of the benefits to owning a lexus, they're not difficult vehicles to maintain.

Why pay Lexus huge $$$$ for labour? I just did my brakes in my GS400 all 4 rotors, and pads for around $600. I bought Brembo rotors, and Hawk street pads. The brakes are easy to change all you really need is a jack some stands and a 17 mm wrench or socket and a c clamp. I did mine in about 1 1/2 hours. Check TireRack for pricing they have decent pricing on brakes. Just my 2 cents......

Dave

Why pay Lexus huge $$$$ for labour? I just did my brakes in my GS400 all 4 rotors, and pads for around $600. I bought Brembo rotors, and Hawk street pads. The brakes are easy to change all you really need is a jack some stands and a 17 mm wrench or socket and a c clamp. I did mine in about 1 1/2 hours. Check TireRack for pricing they have decent pricing on brakes. Just my 2 cents......

Dave

Unless the pads and rotors are special for the GS400, $600 is steep. I replaced my rotors and pads on my '98 ES300 for $300 out the door. I did the replacement myself. Peace of Cake to change. $200 for rotors and $100 for pads.

Unless the pads and rotors are special for the GS400, $600 is steep. I replaced my rotors and pads on my '98 ES300 for $300 out the door. I did the replacement myself. Peace of Cake to change. $200 for rotors and $100 for pads.

Did you buy Brembo rotors and hawk pads or just the cheap stuff? I could have gone cheaper if wanted but I like having good brakes.

Did you buy Brembo rotors and hawk pads or just the cheap stuff? I could have gone cheaper if wanted but I like having good brakes.

Is the brembo (i'm assuming you went crossdrilled) and the hawk pads a huge improvement over stock? My rotors up front are warped.. again so i'm thinking about trying something else.

Get on Ebay and get yourself some Drilled and Slotted rotors and OEM pads...Your braking will be improved by 20% and the rotors will last as long as you own the car...They will not crack or warp as I've ran mine hard for 4 years now, braking is great, no problems to report...I also own a heavier car...

Oh they look awesome too and you will save money..

My two cents...

• 2 weeks later...
i guess i'll just play it safe then....

I too found the www.brakeplanet.com stuff, but found the prices too good to be true so I searched for reviews on them on Google and returned some very interesting stuff. End result is don't buy from BrakePlanet. Irontoad has great prices on factory pads and rotors, www.irontoad.com.

I too found the www.brakeplanet.com stuff, but found the prices too good to be true so I searched for reviews on them on Google and returned some very interesting stuff. End result is don't buy from BrakePlanet. Irontoad has great prices on factory pads and rotors, www.irontoad.com.

I usually get my stuff from irontoad, but these rotors warp a little too frequently for my liking. Any specific complaints about brakeplanets products? I know they're cheap and you get what you pay for, but anything specific other than shipping issues?

Just my 2 cents worth. I too have the brembo but in slotted with TRD pads.

IMO, I would not say it's a huge improvement but it does perform better over stockies. They do brake harder with less effort over stock. For the price I paid comparing to everything else in Australia, it definately's worth every cent.

The downside of this combo is that i now have a load of brake dust and it does squeal a little (if you have your windows down u'll hear it for afew seconds at a certain speed). But with windows shut and in the car, you'll not hear nor see of this downside.:chairshot:

• 2 months later...

I usually get my stuff from irontoad, but these rotors warp a little too frequently for my liking. Any specific complaints about brakeplanets products? I know they're cheap and you get what you pay for, but anything specific other than shipping issues?

The problem with Brake planet is they have huge wait times. on both there products and refunds And the people a heartless. Google Brakeplanet 2 complaints in the top 10 out of 18,200

GO FOR THE SERVICE FROM THE DEALERSHIP !!!!!! I WAS HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM WITH MY 2000 GS 300. VIBRATION, SHIMMYING STEERING WHEEL, THE WHOLE NINE YARDS. I SERVICED IT AT THE DEALERSHIP, AND BANG PROBLEM SOLVED. SOMETIMES IT'S JUST WORTH THE MONEY. FOR WE CARE ABOUT OUR CARS SO VERY MUCH.

Dave

I have a 2001 GS 300, and wanted to know after the calipers are removed, what tool(s) were necessary to remove the rear rotors for replacement.

Thanks,