20" Or 21" Wheels For The 460l Touring Version

I am told that LS 460L Touring version will not accept the standard OEM 18" Lexus Rims. The parts dept manager at my local lexus said he thought so but he is checking on it. Reason: The touring/sport version has different brake system and the 18" oem wheels might not fit. He is not completely sure either way. They sold only 2 or 3 of these touring version cars. It comes standard with 19" wheels and air suspension and different brakes.

Personally, i have never been fond of the Lexus wheel styling (this is my 5th LS). These 19" wheels are not bad but they are not that hot either.

Anyway, I am considering putting winter tires and will probably put the Michelin x-ice (rated high by consumer reports). I have had all blizzaks for past 10 years, which were ok.

For next spring, I want to get 20" wheels. 21" wheels might be too rough? If any of you have experience with 21" wheels - even on a 430 but with air suspension, please post comments. Since my car has air suspension, I am hoping that the "comfort setting" will reduce the jarring of low profile 20" or 21" tires.

I am looking for inexpensive wheel+rim options - Perhaps around $2000 (I saw a few sites which had packages in that price range). The real fancy sites seem to cost $5000+ for rims. Certainly, those are beautiful wheels but I don't want to spend that much. I think i saw 20" tires at tirerack for around $250 each. Hopefully, I can find rims at around $250 each? I really like tirerack but unfortunately, they don't seem to have any wheels for my car. They offer wheels upto 19" for the standard 460L but not the touring version. I guess the normal wheels won't fit my car?

My car is white and I am considering wheels with mostly black wheels ( to hide brake dust). Besides, the black wheels seem much less expensive than Chrome wheels. My car has horrible brake dust problem - which I expected because I was told at the time of ordering the touring package that the brakes and tires will last only 15,000 miles. This is not a complaint against lexus. I ordered it with full knowledge.

i added 20inch chrome wheels after being told that i couldnt do it and that it would make the care run funny. I ordered my wheels from these guys and they took the time to contact a lexus engineer and found the right wheels and the right sensors for the tire presure. Give them a call and ask for brian or phil at www.wheelplay.net

I am told that LS 460L Touring version will not accept the standard OEM 18" Lexus Rims. The parts dept manager at my local lexus said he thought so but he is checking on it. Reason: The touring/sport version has different brake system and the 18" oem wheels might not fit. He is not completely sure either way. They sold only 2 or 3 of these touring version cars. It comes standard with 19" wheels and air suspension and different brakes.

Personally, i have never been fond of the Lexus wheel styling (this is my 5th LS). These 19" wheels are not bad but they are not that hot either.

Anyway, I am considering putting winter tires and will probably put the Michelin x-ice (rated high by consumer reports). I have had all blizzaks for past 10 years, which were ok.

For next spring, I want to get 20" wheels. 21" wheels might be too rough? If any of you have experience with 21" wheels - even on a 430 but with air suspension, please post comments. Since my car has air suspension, I am hoping that the "comfort setting" will reduce the jarring of low profile 20" or 21" tires.

I am looking for inexpensive wheel+rim options - Perhaps around $2000 (I saw a few sites which had packages in that price range). The real fancy sites seem to cost $5000+ for rims. Certainly, those are beautiful wheels but I don't want to spend that much. I think i saw 20" tires at tirerack for around $250 each. Hopefully, I can find rims at around $250 each? I really like tirerack but unfortunately, they don't seem to have any wheels for my car. They offer wheels upto 19" for the standard 460L but not the touring version. I guess the normal wheels won't fit my car?

My car is white and I am considering wheels with mostly black wheels ( to hide brake dust). Besides, the black wheels seem much less expensive than Chrome wheels. My car has horrible brake dust problem - which I expected because I was told at the time of ordering the touring package that the brakes and tires will last only 15,000 miles. This is not a complaint against lexus. I ordered it with full knowledge.

I sent an email to wheelplay and have not heard back. If you don't mind me asking, can you tell me what you paid for your wheels? They look quite nice. You can post or send me a private message if you prefer.

• 5 months later...

Spring oncoming and I am trying to find a good cost effective source..

I liked these wheels - price of $1600 is quite good. Has anyone done business with them? Any other sources in that price range?

Also, anything specially different about the 460l Touring that usual 20X8.5, 40mm 5X120 bolt pattern wheels would not work?

Thank you.

Just a couple things to keep in mind, one the wider the wheel the harder to balance, Two the installer will keep from putting weight's on the outside which also compromises the balancing. A good tire shop will balance the outside and the inside of the wheel. Three You will ride harsher, I have had 18"19" 20" on you can feel the difference with each tire size increase. Obviously ppl put wheels on for looks so most of this will be rebutted by those who say they feel no difference and do it for looks. It makes no difference if you have air springs or not. this is true for all cars. I personally like others to buy big wheels and keep the ride on my car, to each his own.

Just a couple things to keep in mind, one the wider the wheel the harder to balance, Two the installer will keep from putting weight's on the outside which also compromises the balancing. A good tire shop will balance the outside and the inside of the wheel. Three You will ride harsher, I have had 18"19" 20" on you can feel the difference with each tire size increase. Obviously ppl put wheels on for looks so most of this will be rebutted by those who say they feel no difference and do it for looks. It makes no difference if you have air springs or not. this is true for all cars. I personally like others to buy big wheels and keep the ride on my car, to each his own.
I decided to go with 20" tires. I think 22" would be too harsh. Are you in Milwaukee? I liked Foresthome tires. The owner seems to be a very decent guy with good knowledge. He helped me with the selection.

I decided to go with 20" tires. I think 22" would be too harsh. Are you in Milwaukee? I liked Foresthome tires. The owner seems to be a very decent guy with good knowledge. He helped me with the selection.

If you want to go where the high end dealers go try Big Bear tire in Oconomowoc, even the Safros go there. I have a few Doc buddy's the go there for their track cars and buy there Hoosier tires from them. They are the only ones I trust. All the sales guys at International know about the place. Marty or John are great the place knows how to balance tires I think I almost tried them all. A friend of mine went to Forest home I guess they did OK I really cannot speak about them. I sold my 20" wheels and tires Lexus consigned them for me. only lost $2300.00.. Here is a pix of those wheels

Good Luck

post-62647-1205880652_thumb.jpg