Need New Tire Before Driving 20,000 Miles?

Good-Man

I just purchased an 07 ES 350 with Michelin tires (13,500 miles) and the tires are worn far beyond what I had expected. Honestly, I failed to due my due diligence and did not check the tire tread wear before I bought the vehicle. Who expects a new-used car with only 13,500 miles to need new tires? It's NOT a sports car with Z rated tires!

My wife has Goodyear Assurance (triple tread) tires on her Accord and the tires have completely changed the handling and ride comfort of the car! Not sure if they make that size tire for the ES 350.

Good luck!

What size tires do you need on your 350? I also have the Triple Tred's on my short list for my ES 330 & agree with your comments.....I've had several sets of them on different vehicles & they are indeed fantastic.

Do you also use a set of winter tires for each vehicle? Noticed your from Denver.

:cheers:

The brake pad issue may be due to the fact that you use your emergency brake! My wifes Accord brakes wore out at 30K miles and they stated that the emergency brake may tend to "stick" and not fully release, especially in cold climate areas of the country.

Thought I would share.

Using the parking brake will accelerate rear pad wear.

But using that as an excuse for premature failure is not acceptable. The parking brake should be used EVERY time you park for safety, it is NOT an "emergency" brake. The transmission on an automatic transmission car is not designed to hold it in place when parked using just the parking prawl. A lot of people think they are, but they aren't.

I just purchased an 07 ES 350 with Michelin tires (13,500 miles) and the tires are worn far beyond what I had expected. Honestly, I failed to due my due diligence and did not check the tire tread wear before I bought the vehicle. Who expects a new-used car with only 13,500 miles to need new tires? It's NOT a sports car with Z rated tires!

My wife has Goodyear Assurance (triple tread) tires on her Accord and the tires have completely changed the handling and ride comfort of the car! Not sure if they make that size tire for the ES 350.

Good luck!

What size tires do you need on your 350? I also have the Triple Tred's on my short list for my ES 330 & agree with your comments.....I've had several sets of them on different vehicles & they are indeed fantastic.

Do you also use a set of winter tires for each vehicle? Noticed your from Denver.

The tire size is 215/55/R17. We do not use a set of winter tires, especially since the Assurance tire has been more than adequate in snow and rain. However, when I looked up the tire size on my local Goodyear's website, they did recommend the Assurance tire for the ES 350; rather, they recommended the Eagle ResponsEdge. Contrary to what most people believe, we do not get a ton of snow in Denver and when we do get snow it usually has completely melted within a week and the streets are clean within a day :D

I have to do some additional research on tires, but I do not plan on replacing my existing tires until this fall, unless we see a lot of rain this summer and the car starts to hydroplane - YIKES!

Best of luck to you!

The tire size is 215/55/R17. We do not use a set of winter tires, especially since the Assurance tire has been more than adequate in snow and rain. However, when I looked up the tire size on my local Goodyear's website, they did recommend the Assurance tire for the ES 350; rather, they recommended the Eagle ResponsEdge. Contrary to what most people believe, we do not get a ton of snow in Denver and when we do get snow it usually has completely melted within a week and the streets are clean within a day :D

I have to do some additional research on tires, but I do not plan on replacing my existing tires until this fall, unless we see a lot of rain this summer and the car starts to hydroplane - YIKES!

Best of luck to you!

The reason they did not recommend it is our cars come with V speed rated as standard equipment. The TT in the size we need is 1 speed rating lower (H rated). You are just fine to use an H speed rated tire such as the TT without any worries (they are good for speeds up to 130 MPH vs. the V speed at 149 MPH) The top speed of the ES is 145 MPH last I checked & I doubt any of us will even come close to those speeds. ;)

Best of luck to you!

The reason they did not recommend it is our cars come with V speed rated as standard equipment. The TT in the size we need is 1 speed rating lower (H rated). You are just fine to use an H speed rated tire such as the TT without any worries (they are good for speeds up to 130 MPH vs. the V speed at 149 MPH) The top speed of the ES is 145 MPH last I checked & I doubt any of us will even come close to those speeds. ;)

LexusFreak -

Thanks for educating me on the speed rating of the ES 350. I definintely do not see myself driving that fast, especially with a family to support :) I've been reading through a ton of posts to try and educate myself as much as possible about my new purchase and just as an FYI - some other posts have stated that the 07 ES 350 is chip limited to 137 MPH, but what do I know - just quoting what I have read on LOC.

If I do decide to go the route of a separate set of snow tires and rims do you have any suggestions? I've heard great things about Blizzak (sp?).

Thanks again!

LexusFreak -

Thanks for educating me on the speed rating of the ES 350. I definintely do not see myself driving that fast, especially with a family to support :) I've been reading through a ton of posts to try and educate myself as much as possible about my new purchase and just as an FYI - some other posts have stated that the 07 ES 350 is chip limited to 137 MPH, but what do I know - just quoting what I have read on LOC.

If I do decide to go the route of a separate set of snow tires and rims do you have any suggestions? I've heard great things about Blizzak (sp?).

Thanks again!

That's what this forum is here for bud. ;)

As for winter tires in the 215 55 17 size....here is a list of the ones available (The Blizzak's are very good, but do not come in our size however). I'm really thinking about the Pirelli's & they are on sale right now to boot...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Compare1.jsp...p;x=56&y=10

I just spent a week with a 2006 IS 250 AWD with 16" Blizzak's & we had snowfall 4 of the 7 days here......what a difference the winter rubber makes let me tell ya! :)

One thing I've said several times though that you need to keep in mind:

There is more to a tire's speed rating than the speed you can travel.

It has to do with rubber composition, hardness, sidewall stiffness, etc. The suspension geometry of the car is designed around v rated tires. Otherwise why put v rated tires on it? It costs the manufacturer more too.

I think you'd be okay with H rated tires, but personally the price difference is small and I want to have what the manufacturer intended the vehicle to have.

I bought ES350 on May 2006, and mileage is about 18,000.

The inflation warning light was on yesterday and I went to dealer to check it.

They told me that all tires are worn out and I should replace all 4 tires. (Asked $1,270)

Based on Toyo tire warantee manual, the mileage is not warranted.

Can you believe that I have to purchase all 4 tires even though I haven't driven 20,000 miles yet?

If I should purchase them, could you recommend better place than a dealer?

Discount tires and try the yokohama YK520s theyre great