Half Ass Bfi

Well after many questions and many questions answered by the wonderful headz at LOC I finally did the BFI and its much more than i thought it would be however i didnt go the extra yard to build the insulation shielding, just gutted the airbox, but i noticed an impressive imrovement in the trottle response and its loud as bleep. So this is just thanx to everyone who answered all my questions as stupid as they may have been. P.S. there is no need to remove the front headlight to get the airbox out, it comes right out with all the screws removed.

P.P.S. Is there any other reason behind building the insulation shield aside from just keeping the air cool? Thanx again

hmm... don't you need to take out the headlight to make the plastic cardboard chamber?

The insulation shield helps block air from deflecting from the airbox. Basically you'll get more air at lower speeds. At higher speeds that might be a bad thing (full throttle sucks in too much air for computer to deal with).

I say this tongue and check, but you should get your @ss back out there and finish the job, you will be glad you did. There is another level you have not yet tapped.

You did not quite get to the stage of "Half-@ss BFI". At best you got to one third. You have eliminated the ridiculously small intake snorkel that feeds cold sucked from under the headlight. Your new conversion now sucks hot air directly from the engine compartment without the restriction of the snorkel.

The real (Big Freaken Intake) is a huge air scoop literally ramming cold air from the leading edge of the fender at presumably high pressure directly to the air filter/intake. This is the essence of BFI and what the other two steps involve.

Hats off to you for getting this started! I am amazed more people are not on to this, though it is not all that easy.

:cheers:

I too have begun the BFI but was curious about the design. I noticed that it was for the turbo soarer but i only have a sc300 non turbo. now what i heard was the reason for going to the center of the grill was because there is somthing directly under the head light. is that true b/c there is nothing stopping me from going straight down to my right grill and making a very nice 2 chamber scoop directly to my box. hard to explain :wacko: i will take pictures to show what i have done and what i plan on doing B)

get back to me with any downfalls to my new design or with any ideas you might have

thanks

ps i plan on making my chambers out of fiberglass. good idea?

:cheers:

Saw the same vast chamber just in front of the passenger side wheel well and wondered the same thing. What settled it for me was I felt I was reinventing the wheel. I did not want to take the time to fabricate a scoop (using fiberglass or tweaking some pipes of some kind). Second was some uneasiness about the possibility of water making its way to the air filter with such a direct route as my reward for being creative.

The scoop conversion from the center grill was so extremely quick to do once I got that pesky small sensor aside (overlooked in those Soarer posts). Spent most of my time fabing the second chamber out of a black plastic cut and heat gunned into place (a slightly textured sheet from Tap Plastics, $4.95). I think fiberglass would be the way to go here if you are good with the stuff. What is referred to as the second chamber is likely the area you are potentially drawing air from. That had to be sealed the way I went. The appeal of using this zone to grab air was not lost on me though.

Ok, I was chickenstick to screw with what was "tried and true".

I was too lazy to go with using fiberglass, so there.

Interested in your pix when available. I just finished the conversion in late August, sort of fresh in my mind. :cheers:

If you make another pipe from the right grill, you'll end up routing bugs and water to the filter. Just remember that there's a limit for the amount of air the car will take until the fuel management gets wacko. Let alone that if the air is coming too fast (say if you travel 100+ mph every day) the filter might break.

• 3 months later...

Thanks for all the info on the SC. I have a question about the need to remove the headlight to perform my BFI. I can get the airbox out easily enough with the light in, but I can't get the snorkel out. The pictures I have seen look like there is another screw holding in the snorkel, and it is under the headlight. Has anyone had any luck getting this snorkel out with the light in?

.... there is another screw holding in the snorkel, and it is under the headlight. Has anyone had any luck getting this snorkel out with the light in?

Yes,

You need to go at it from the passenger side wheel well. Remove the retaining screws around the front section of the plastic shroud. When you've taken out enough to get your hand in there with a long extension socket your in business. Use a flashlight and you'll see the bolt the same size as the others (10mm?). It comes out very easily then.