Lexus Smells Like Gas

I have a 93 ES300 and it smells like gas really bad. It also has smoke coming out of the exhaust. The idle has gotten really bad too. The gas mileage has gotten really bad. It smells rich. It does not have water in the oil I checked that out.

Please help me out cant seem to figure this thing out.

• 3 weeks later...

• 5 months later...

Did you ever figure out what the problem was with the gas smell and such? I have the "exact" same car and the "exact" same problem. I've been searching for weeks to try and figure out what the problem is with no luck. I don't have the money to take it to a dealer and I'm going CRAZY trying to figure it out on my own. :wacko:

I also have another small problem now too. I let a friend look over the car and he unplugged a few vacuum hoses and forgot how to put them back the way they were. I've tried everything I could think of to figure out which one goes where. I've even posted here and other forums, looking for a picture of the Emission Control Set (the VSV's on top of the engine) and I can't seem to find one anywhere. Even asked around to see if someone would take a picture of theirs and still...nothing. :( BUT all of that was after the gas smell, etc...

Edited by j3ffr3y

• 1 year later...
I have a 93 ES300 and it smells like gas really bad. It also has smoke coming out of the exhaust. The idle has gotten really bad too. The gas mileage has gotten really bad. It smells rich. It does not have water in the oil I checked that out.

Please help me out cant seem to figure this thing out.

I had this on my 97 ES300 and it turned out to be a gas tank leak on top of the tank. Could not see it, could not get at it. It did not leak enough to leave anything on the ground. Just would spash or seep out when filled up. You can try only filling tank to half for a few days and if smell goes away, chances are this is your problem. My mechanic found a used tank in good shape and installed for a total of around $400. Otherwise it was going to be about $630.