Advice - Rx 400h Vs Rx 350

Greetings everyone.

Just had our first baby and I am looking to get an SUV which I never thought I would do (turning in her Audi a4 soon). This car is for my wife, so looking for smooth, quiet, safe, large rear seat room for rear facing carseat, efficient/clean.

The lease rates look great on the RX, mostly since my friend works at the dealership ($1k below invoice - let me know if you can get better)

I like the 350 but am debating on getting the 400h. I own a prius already and am a scientist, so am educated on emissions/efficiency. I like that the 400h is SULEV and gets better gas mileage, but from what I read, not much better. If you are spending extra $ to save on fuel costs, it's not worth it. I already ready on forbes.com the rx400 had the lowest ownership cost of any vehicle in the country. So I just have to decide if the additional monthly payments are worth the state of mind of getting SULEV emissions and lower fuel cost reminders every time I fill up.

So what options are necessry or recommended for this car? Trying to get the best bang/buck without breaking the piggy bank.

I live in S Cali with minimal rain/snow, so I dont think I will need AWD (extra weight/less efficient). I think the RX and Highlander Hybrid are the most popular cars in Manhattan Beach..haha.

I know there are tons of SUVs in this segment but nothing else really interests me other than the Subaru Tribeca

I look forward to the RX objective and veteraned advice

Thanks

Jason

Manhattan Beach, CA

06 Toyota Prius (package 8 all options)

1st Time SUV buyer (with new infant child)

Greetings everyone.

Just had our first baby and I am looking to get an SUV which I never thought I would do (turning in her Audi a4 soon). This car is for my wife, so looking for smooth, quiet, safe, large rear seat room for rear facing carseat, efficient/clean.

I like the 350 but am debating on getting the 400h. I own a prius already and am a scientist, so am educated on emissions/efficiency. I like that the 400h is SULEV and gets better gas mileage, but from what I read, not much better. If you are spending extra $ to save on fuel costs, it's not worth it. I already ready on forbes.com the rx400 had the lowest ownership cost of any vehicle in the country. So I just have to decide if the additional monthly payments are worth the state of mind of getting SULEV emissions and lower fuel cost reminders every time I fill up.

Jason

Welcome Jason, & congrats on your first child. Our 1st and only just finished college and got married. Our 2nd car is the Prius too. Regarding mpg, comparing the 350 vs 400h is about the same as with any two similarly weighted / class vehicles ... in the neighborhood of 16%-20% ... meaning if one is a hybrid & one is not, than that's the ballpark outcome. So combining highway/city driving, that works out to maybe 4 or 5mpg's better on the hybrid SUV's. So if you're strictly penciling out the dollars from gas savings, it'll take a while to make up the difference, at least until gas hits $5 or $6 a gallon. That may not be far off though. Our neighbor in CA has the same auto arrangements as us. A Prius, and the Highlander hybrid SUV. If you are concerned with the extra $$ you'd pay for the Lexus, well the Hy Hi is virtually the same car. My wife though, needing to impress her customers factored the cost difference from that angle. If not for that, we'd have the HyHi in our garage. Both are great cars. Good luck with your decision.

Greetings everyone.

Jason

Welcome Jason, & congrats on your first child. Our 1st and only just finished college and got married. Our 2nd car is the Prius too. Regarding mpg, comparing the 350 vs 400h is about the same as with any two similarly weighted / class vehicles ... in the neighborhood of 16%-20% ... meaning if one is a hybrid & one is not, than that's the ballpark outcome. So combining highway/city driving, that works out to maybe 4 or 5mpg's better on the hybrid SUV's. So if you're strictly penciling out the dollars from gas savings, it'll take a while to make up the difference, at least until gas hits $5 or $6 a gallon. That may not be far off though. Our neighbor in CA has the same auto arrangements as us. A Prius, and the Highlander hybrid SUV. If you are concerned with the extra $$ you'd pay for the Lexus, well the Hy Hi is virtually the same car. My wife though, needing to impress her customers factored the cost difference from that angle. If not for that, we'd have the HyHi in our garage. Both are great cars. Good luck with your decision.

Thanks for your help. The HyHi's were about $5-8K off last month as Toyota prepped for the 08s to come out but we still were in a lease so couldnt jump on that deal. Never been a big fan of the Hy styling and seemed too big for our needs. Also, when it comes to leasing, sometimes a $40k car can have the same payments as a $30K car. The RX lease looks pretty good, mostly with my connection there. I just have to see how much more it will be to lease the hybrid..probabably $50-100/month more. Many of the options come standard in the RX Hi that I might not need, so I am not just paying for the SULEV and fuel savings, but standard options. Hhhmmm....i will crunch the numbers.

Of course, the 09's will be coming out next year with a completely new design, although no special deals.

thanks!

hello mr. scientist

last year i bought a 2007 subaru outback and it was great except for the wild handling = not so great

so i traded it in on a 2007 toyota highlander the ride was jerky side to side so then i bought a 2007 lexus rx400h

and guess what ? it is the best ride !!! no jerking no wild ride and plenty of power. almost all of my trips are in the city less than 5 miles - so far i am getting about 24-28 mpg - but who cares about gas - i feel like a king in the 400h

it is a great car and does everything right !! so take your time and try them out - the toyotaHy is cheaper but will you feel the difference ?? good luck and after all it's not about the money or the gas - it is about what makes you happy.

snip

good luck and after all it's not about the money or the gas - it is about what makes you happy.

Hi Richard

The HyHi suffers from the same spongy ride as the Prius according to our neighbor. We both discovered the same cure. Junk the stinkin' stock Good Years. Once completed, his HyHi, and our Prius were cured. So it wasn't the cars after all. Our Michelins Energy's made the world of difference. I still can't believe how much tire chemestry makes the difference.

snip

good luck and after all it's not about the money or the gas - it is about what makes you happy.

Hi Richard

The HyHi suffers from the same spongy ride as the Prius according to our neighbor. We both discovered the same cure. Junk the stinkin' stock Good Years. Once completed, his HyHi, and our Prius were cured. So it wasn't the cars after all. Our Michelins Energy's made the world of difference. I still can't believe how much tire chemestry makes the difference.

In the racing world, the difference between 1st place and also ran :D

Welcome GG.

Following is a reprint of a letter to the editor that makes an interesting argument for choosing a hybrid.

"In your long-term 2006 Lexus RX400h AWD story (April 2007), you use a common financial argument which suggest that buying hybrids often doesn't pay. In doing so, you miss a huge point that does our nation and our troops abroad a disservice.

You write, "Assuming premium gasoline stays at $2.39 a gallon, it would take more than 91,000 miles of driving the RX400h to recoup that $3800 difference in base price compared with the RX350. That's a lot of driving. Purely on a financial basis, it doesn't make sense to pay the extra money for the RX400h, unless you're thinking it will help save the planet."

No! The issue is not just how much money one saves or spends but also where that money goes. In other words, even if I don't drive 91,000 miles, I'd rather give a little extra money to a hybrid automaker, realizing that in doing so I'm sending less money to Saudi Arabia and Kuwait.

Environmental issues aside, any effort that saves gasoline reduces the money we send to the largely unfriendly countries from whom we purchase oil and the anti-American cause they often fund or support."

Tom

snip

Hi Richard

mine came with the michelins - evidently the goodyears are the worst tires for this suv - i was forewarned about this

Thanks for your help. The HyHi's were about $5-8K off last month as Toyota prepped for the 08s to come out but we still were in a lease so couldnt jump on that deal. Never been a big fan of the Hy styling and seemed too big for our needs. Also, when it comes to leasing, sometimes a $40k car can have the same payments as a $30K car. The RX lease looks pretty good, mostly with my connection there. I just have to see how much more it will be to lease the hybrid..probabably $50-100/month more. Many of the options come standard in the RX Hi that I might not need, so I am not just paying for the SULEV and fuel savings, but standard options. Hhhmmm....i will crunch the numbers.

Of course, the 09's will be coming out next year with a completely new design, although no special deals.

thanks!

You do know that the 07 Highlander and RX are pretty much the exact same car underneath and thus the same size, right? I don't blame you on the styling comment though ... the Highlander is just too plain for my liking.

All the above being said ... you will only get about 5mpg better with an RX hybrid over a gas-powered RX (less if you are doing mostly highway/interstate driving) ... it just doesn't make sense financially to buy a 400h over the RX 350 given the gas savings PLUS the fact you will not get nearly as much off of the 400h compared to the 350.

However, some people are willing to pay more for any reduced emissions and quiets stops at lights. The transmission is probably smoother as well. I was REALLY close to getting a 400h, but in the end I couldn't warrant it b/c a lot of my miles are on the highway. Doesn't mean I made the right choice though.

Sounds like the new '08 Highlander Hybrids won't be out until near Thanksgiving.

All the above being said ... you will only get about 5mpg better with an RX hybrid over a gas-powered RX (less if you are doing mostly highway/interstate driving) ... it just doesn't make sense financially to buy a 400h over the RX 350 given the gas savings PLUS the fact you will not get nearly as much off of the 400h compared to the 350.

This is certainly not true if you live or drive in a large metro area, like Los Angeles, San Diego, or any other similar city. We live 30 minutes from downtown San Diego, yet we encounter heavy trffic both in the morning and afternoon. Our minivan, which was getting about the same fuel mileage as would an RX350 (14-16 MPG in the city), required a fillup every week. Our RX400h, which achieves 27 MPG during weekly city driving and about 24.5 - 25 MPG after factoring 75 MPH highway use during the weekends, requires a fillup only every 2 weeks, saving us $40 per week. That's $2000 per year and $20,000 in the 10 years we typically keep our main driving vehicle.

Happily, we made the right choice when choosing between a hybrid and non-hybrid SUV, especially with pump prices as high as they are.

thanks!

You do know that the 07 Highlander and RX are pretty much the exact same car underneath and thus the same size, right? I don't blame you on the styling comment though ... the Highlander is just too plain for my liking.

However, some people are willing to pay more for any reduced emissions and quiets stops at lights. The transmission is probably smoother as well. I was REALLY close to getting a 400h, but in the end I couldn't warrant it b/c a lot of my miles are on the highway. Doesn't mean I made the right choice though.

Sounds like the new '08 Highlander Hybrids won't be out until near Thanksgiving.

Well, for what it's worth, my best fuel economy was over 33mpg in city and highway driving (about 30% city cycle, 70% highway mainly during rush hour).

I highly doubt you would ever be able to pull off 33+mpg with a RX 350. On average in the summer I get easily 30+ mpg

Cheers,

MadloR

If you really want to save gas, you probably should be looking at other vehicles. My friend with an RX400h just spent a week in a Mercury Mariner Hybrid and was astonished at how good it was at gas mileage (38 mpg at sustained 70 mph). On the other hand, it ain't a Lexus. I love being able to cruise around in pure electric (stealth) mode in the RX400h.

There's nothing magical or difficult about getting 24-28 MPG in typical city driving. I've known two RX330 owners who were averaging 16 MPG in the same general area of town. Needless to say, they were not too happy when I told them we were getting about 25 MPG with our RX400h.

I own a 2006 AWD RX400h, and just recently had a RX 350 as a loaner while my vehicle was in for service. Here are my thoughts on the differences.. the 350 does not have the acceleration of the 400h , both from stop and while cruising at HWY speeds. It is quite noticeable. The RX400h caries more weight and you can feel it under heavy breaking compared to the 350. I wish that when people report their milage for the 400h that they would specify whether FWD or AWD as it seems to make a difference. I get 24.5 on average for my 400h which is a 60/40 mix of HWY/City driving...

That said , the things I really like about the 400h.

Electric AC (Perfect for those times while you wait in the RX for the significant other to complete their shopping)

CVT transmission (The RX 350 is Jarring by comparison)

Quiet... The RX 400h is noticeably more quiet on the HWY.

Thanks for the direct comparison. A while back, another member asked that we include AWD or FWD in our avatar/info area on the left side of our post window. If you look at mine, you'll see the "AWD" letters.

Dave

If you really want to save gas, you probably should be looking at other vehicles. My friend with an RX400h just spent a week in a Mercury Mariner Hybrid and was astonished at how good it was at gas mileage (38 mpg at sustained 70 mph). On the other hand, it ain't a Lexus. I love being able to cruise around in pure electric (stealth) mode in the RX400h.

We looked at the Hybrid Mariner and it DOES have the same ability to glide stealth. The options were certainly more spartin than our 400h. The Mariner has less cubic feet going on inside, compared to the 400h. Still, if you want to save a bit on a SUV hybrid, and those tradeoffs aren't deal breakers, the Mariner's not a bad way to go. It's basicly the same synergy drive system as the Toyota/Lexus line. Another sweet deal re: the Mariner is that there's a company in CO that converts certain hybrids over to a pluggable version, allowing up to 30 miles on pure EV (if you can afford the extra 5 figures in cost). The Mariner is the platform of SUV they chose to convert.

Oh, and thanks Dave, for pointing out the easy way to update FWD / AWD data on our personal I.D.

• 2 weeks later...

I own a '06 RX400h FWD that replaced an '04 RX330 FWD. The 330 averaged 19 with my wife driving it most of the time in a 22 mile commute that is about 50% town and 50% highway driving. The RX400h is pulling 29-30 on the exact same trip burning 89RON (mid grade in NC). Anyway we cut it that about a 50% increase in milage---2 weeks on a tank if we wish instead of 1 a week. I change engine air filters at 10K increments, run the Michelins at 33F/31R on the 18" wheels and use Mobil1 5W-30 on 5K change cycles. You have to drive the 400h much differently than the standard 330/350. No engine breaking to speak of so go easy of braking, coast a lot, stay out of the loud pedal until you really need it, plan your driving patterns ahead as far as you can...

In my experience you'll see a 1.5-2.0 mpg improvement with the 89 over the 87. Also we just passed 22K on the RX400h and I believe that the motor is just getting broken in well (it just runs better in the last 6 months or so). I was fortunate enough to jump on the 400h the first quarter of '06 so I got the $2,200 federal tax credit and that helped a bunch as well.

Just to share this with the group.

I agree, but it sure does feel good when I occasionally rocket past a BMW X5 whose owner intended to pass me before cutting into my lane (instead of falling in behind me). The "ultimate driving machine" just can't get by the "ultimate technological wonder machine"! :whistles:

I own a '06 RX400h FWD that replaced an '04 RX330 FWD. The 330 averaged 19 with my wife driving it most of the time in a 22 mile commute that is about 50% town and 50% highway driving. The RX400h is pulling 29-30 on the exact same trip burning 89RON (mid grade in NC). Anyway we cut it that about a 50% increase in milage---2 weeks on a tank if we wish instead of 1 a week. I change engine air filters at 10K increments, run the Michelins at 33F/31R on the 18" wheels and use Mobil1 5W-30 on 5K change cycles. You have to drive the 400h much differently than the standard 330/350. No engine breaking to speak of so go easy of braking, coast a lot, stay out of the loud pedal until you really need it, plan your driving patterns ahead as far as you can...

In my experience you'll see a 1.5-2.0 mpg improvement with the 89 over the 87. Also we just passed 22K on the RX400h and I believe that the motor is just getting broken in well (it just runs better in the last 6 months or so). I was fortunate enough to jump on the 400h the first quarter of '06 so I got the $2,200 federal tax credit and that helped a bunch as well.

"One" has to wonder, at least this "one" does, just what the FE of the '04 RX330 would have been in comparison to the RX400h had you driven it just as CONSERVATIVELY as you seemingly have adopted for the RXh.

Not denigrating the RXh in any way, just wondering what it is that makes people think they need to revise a lifetime of learning in order to drive an RXh advantageously over an RX.

"One" has to wonder, at least this "one" does, just what the FE of the '04 RX330 would have been in comparison to the RX400h had you driven it just as CONSERVATIVELY as you seemingly have adopted for the RXh.

Not denigrating the RXh in any way, just wondering what it is that makes people think they need to revise a lifetime of learning in order to drive an RXh advantageously over an RX.

I don't driver my 400h advantageously. I just drive it for fun and enjoy the performance when I can. The price I pay, so to speak, is around 22 mpg.

Tom

Greetings everyone.

Jason

thanks!

Buy or Lease a 1 or 2 year old Certified PreOwned Lexus ... you'll save $10K easily and get a better warranty (3 yr 100,000). When you rotate out in 3 years it'll be worth the same as the guy who bought it new 5 years ago. Repeat this process and as the years go by (as they do - unfortunately), you will EASILY make the hybrid pay off. Best of luck with the new baby.

Warm Regards

We looked at the Hybrid Mariner and it DOES have the same ability to glide stealth. The options were certainly more spartin than our 400h. The Mariner has less cubic feet going on inside, compared to the 400h. Still, if you want to save a bit on a SUV hybrid, and those tradeoffs aren't deal breakers, the Mariner's not a bad way to go. It's basicly the same synergy drive system as the Toyota/Lexus line. Another sweet deal re: the Mariner is that there's a company in CO that converts certain hybrids over to a pluggable version, allowing up to 30 miles on pure EV (if you can afford the extra 5 figures in cost). The Mariner is the platform of SUV they chose to convert.

Oh, and thanks Dave, for pointing out the easy way to update FWD / AWD data on our personal I.D.

I have the RX400h and my son has a Ford Escape Hybrid. The power of my car just floored him when he drove it. He also commented that the airconditioner on his Ford didn't keep cooling when it was stopped at a red light ... the Lex does. Apparently, the Escape's AC compressor is still driven off the engine ... no engine running - no compressor running. We live in Texas and that is not a good plan here. Just a "quirk" in the design differences between Ford and Lexus (Toyota).

I have the RX400h and my son has a Ford Escape Hybrid. The power of my car just floored him when he drove it. He also commented that the airconditioner on his Ford didn't keep cooling when it was stopped at a red light ... the Lex does. Apparently, the Escape's AC compressor is still driven off the engine ... no engine running - no compressor running. We live in Texas and that is not a good plan here. Just a "quirk" in the design differences between Ford and Lexus (Toyota).

No! The issue is not just how much money one saves or spends but also where that money goes. In other words, even if I don't drive 91,000 miles, I'd rather give a little extra money to a hybrid automaker, realizing that in doing so I'm sending less money to Saudi Arabia and Kuwait.

Environmental issues aside, any effort that saves gasoline reduces the money we send to the largely unfriendly countries from whom we purchase oil and the anti-American cause they often fund or support."

Tom

I read this and I thought I was reading my own mind. I literally just said the same thing to my wife. I traded in a 2006 Range Rover Sport that I loved, but that got 13mpg even with me driving like I was 90, for the RX 400h. I can't tell you how good it feels to look at the energy screen and see the yellow lines denoting full electric power and then the 99.9mpg right underneath it. Averaging 28mpg after my first weekend with the car in a mixture of around 50/50 city/highway.

Forget the fact that the car is amazing (btw, the new NAV system has the sharpest screen I have ever seen in a car, it is as good as my computer monitor) you can drive on electic power, that is just so awesome. And at the same time you are not sending any money to countries that use oil money to fund the purchase of guns that are killing our young men.

So while I haven't driven the 350, I would suggest that you get the rx 400h instead. It will be the best money you have spent.

Lastly, why doesn't every car capture the kinetic energy from the wheels when coasting? It just makes so much sense and it is free energy, like a dam on a river.

Go for the 400h, you won't be disappointed.