P302

lenore

Hey a buddy of mine has a 99rx just like my wifes, came over and said it was running poorly. Cel light on but he hadnt read the codes. I read a P302. cylinder 2 missfire. His car has 199k miles and he has never changed the plugs. Took the COP off number 2 and it was corroaded....not good. Cleaned it up and moved it to cylinder 4 for troubleshooting....Code moved to cylinder 4...Dont let your plugs go too long and get the corrosion.... probably took the COP (coil over plug) out....Toyota wants $119 and didnt have one, but Napa did.... for $93 fixed the problem... Thought I would share...

Yep, change those iridium-tipped plugs at 120,000 miles. The original plugs will still look clean and operate normally at that interval, but 120,000 miles is just about the maximum they're designed to run for according to the manufacturers. I do know of some cases where owners ran 150,000 miles before changing their iridium-tipped plugs with no reported problems, though. I did quite a bit of research on the topic before I changed the plugs in my wife's previous 2000 RX300 at 120,000 miles last October. We sold the vehicle in late January so the new owner is good to go with the plugs for years to come....

Many dealers will attempt to convince you to change your plugs at 60,000 or 90,000 miles. Don't do it - your iridium-tipped plugs are still running strong at those intervals (assuming you've taken proper care to keep your fluids and filters changed) and you'll be wasting your money if you change your plugs that early....

Stick with Denso or NGK plugs and you'll be good to go for another 120,000 miles....