Difference In Transmission Fluid?

Thank you for the information. I suspect the shop rebuilt my transmission put in Dex III. Sometimes the car has a little hesitation going from 2nd to 3rd gear. I suspect they put in the wrong fluid. They charged $2.75 a quart while I buy it at the dealer for $5.25. Even with a shop discount, I don't think he can buy it for $2.75.

Is there a way to tell which ATF they used from looking at the fluid???

Thanks a lot!!!

• 2 months later...
Crap, I put Type IV in my 2000 Solora the other day, I was supposed to use DexIII but I was doing it back to back with my GS and didn't realize it at the time. What should I do??? Drain and fill several times? or fork out the big bucks for a flush?

Check with the dealer. I think they all started using type t-4 on all services now. i don't think it's going to matter because type t-4 provides better friction protection than dexIII. you probably just end up wasting a few bucks.

I think of it like this (you are fine). You can use Dot 4 brake in a Dot 3 but not visa versa.

Another reason to use Amsoil ATF. One fluid does many apps. :rolleyes:

Btt I suspect more adds, oxd/tbn control and seal swealing in T-4.

oxd/tbn?

oxidation control along with acid control.

has anyone seen type 4 in a store? I have not, but have just started looking into it.

do i really need to pay Lexus dealer prices?

type 4 is only sold at the dealers. you can try toyota for a cheaper deal. sometimes you might find it online, but who knows where those are coming from.

if you want to go the cheapest route, you can put in dex III and add a modifier into it. a lot of shops use the modifiers rather than straight type 4. the modifier is suppose to modify the dex III into the same friction properties as type 4. i forgot the name of the modifier, but you can find online. it's around $10/bottle.

I think of it like this (you are fine). You can use Dot 4 brake in a Dot 3 but not visa versa.

Another reason to use Amsoil ATF. One fluid does many apps. :rolleyes:

Btt I suspect more adds, oxd/tbn control and seal swealing in T-4.

oxd/tbn?

oxidation control along with acid control.

Thanks again, the input is greatly appreciated. I just did a drain and fill again, this time with Castrol MutliVehicle ATF for Imports, only about 3 quarts were replaced. The car is shifting much smoother however, I wasn't expecting any change. In a couple of weeks I'm going to switch over to amsoil when i pull the pan and change the filter and gasket, would phasing it in be alright ( a series of drains and fills)?

man, you really got the time. going from type 4 to castro to amsoil in just a few weeks. i don't know if castro works on our cars or not.

the transmission holds anywhere 8 to 10 quarts of atf. drain and fill would only be half of that. you can phase in with drain and fill. i find that is too much timing consuming and you only get a small percentage out after the first two drain intervals. here is what i did

1. drain and install the plug

2. pull the tranny cooler hose off the radiator and turn the engine on. do not put car into gears. the atf will pump out of the cooler hose

3. add about 5 quarts of atf

4. turn the car on and let the atf pump out of the hose again

5. repeat step 3 and 4

6. remove pan and filter. put in a new filter and re-install the pan

7. add atf and feel the difference

have about 15 quarts or so of aft on hand. seems like you do waste quite a bit of $$$ on that fill and drain off the cooler hose, but you flush out the old atf this way more effectively than the drain and fill phase in method.

Thanks again, the input is greatly appreciated. I just did a drain and fill again, this time with Castrol MutliVehicle ATF for Imports, only about 3 quarts were replaced. The car is shifting much smoother however, I wasn't expecting any change. In a couple of weeks I'm going to switch over to amsoil when i pull the pan and change the filter and gasket, would phasing it in be alright ( a series of drains and fills)?

You would be fine. Just only go like 20K on this ATF, more next time.

• 1 month later...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I love this forum but it does get confusing. This is what "I" am going to do with my 96 es300 w/125k mi.

1. The manual says to "inspect" at 125k but says nothing else about oil transfusion or what to use.

2. The dip stick says to use Dex II and to check the rear end oil at the filler hole. However my understanding is that Dex III can be used in place of all before it. I am not sure when Dex II was superseded/discontinued but I thought it was before 96 as stated below. I am sure the stick is OEM and has all the jap lingo on it. I concluded that maybe the stick is older than 96 but then what did the factory really use? I assume it had to be Dex III. (Democratic disclaimer: No disrespect meant on the Jap statement.)

3. The forum seems avid against using Dexron. So I called the Dealer...Bell Road Lexus in Phoenix @ (602) 866-1474 and they told me...:

"Pre 1999- Dexron III ATF. 1999 to 2004- Toyota ATF. 2004+ World Standard ATF what ever that is...you new guys can fight it out. I asked about the synthetic and he said with older cars it would not really matter but suggested "no". I asked about using the Valvoline vv337 Dex/Merc Extended Life and he said it was a good product and a good replacement for the Dexron".

4. So...I want all the oil changed out... so I am doing the flush method irregardless of the damage threat (I'm such a rebel) and pulling/cleaning the pan/changing the internal screen filter. And I am using the Extended Life Valvoline. Because the Valvoline can be used and will mix with everything I feel safer useing it. It takes 9 qts plus one or 2 for the flush. If interested in the Valvoline I have posted more info on it...read on:

http://www.valvoline.com/products/consumer...ission-fluid/37

Overview from the site above:

MaxLife DEX/MERC ATF contains a blend of superior base oils and a unique additive package to help extend the life of transmissions with over 75,000 miles. It is formulated to maximize transmission performance, reduce transmission wear, and improve and maintain smooth shifting longer than conventional fluids. MaxLife DEX/MERC ATF is compatible with new and rebuilt transmissions and will not void new car warranties.

Recommended for use where DEXRON, DEXRON II, III and VI, Toyota T-IV and WS, MERCON®, MERCON® SP and LV, Allison TES 295 and 389, Nissan Matic-D, Matic-J and Matic-K, Honda Z-1 (except CVT), Mercedes NAG-1, Mitsubishi Diamond SP-II and SP-III and many others are required.

WIKIPEDIA:

All previous DEXRON specifications were replaced once DEXRON-VI was introduced. There are no valid approved products that carry the DEXRON approval unless they have a DEXRON-VI approval and associated license.

DEXRON-IIE has been surpassed by DEXRON-III as of January 1, 1994. It is no longer available and its use is no longer recommended. DEXRON-IIE is not compatible in systems requiring DEXRON-III or DEXRON-VI.

DEXRON-III is not compatible with the most recently designed transmissions, and the use of these earlier type fluids could result in transmission damage. All DEXRON-III licenses expired at the end of 2006, and will not be renewed. Beyond that date, General Motors will only support the use of DEXRON-VI fluids for use in Hydra-Matic transmissions. Fluids claiming DEXRON-III type performance continue to be sold under abbreviated names such as Dex/Merc, and D/M however since the DEXRON-III licensing system no longer exists, these fluids are not regulated in any way.

DEXRON-VI

DEXRON-VI was introduced in 2005. It was designed to replace all prior specifications, and is therefore backwards-compatible with applications calling for DEXRON of any type. The specification (GMN 10060) defines both a performance level and specific additives that provide improved shift feel, friction durability and oxidative stability compared to earlier specified fluids.

Hope this helps and not hinder...