Seafoaming?

Roy1928

Seafoaming is good idea when your car gets up in mileage and age...

What happens basically is that you have what is called an EGR system on your engine which recycles spent exhaust gases back thru the engine...What that does is cause carbon buildup on the internals of the engine over time...Over the years it gets caked on...Good for emissions but not to good for your engine..

Basically the seafoam disolves all the years of carbon buildup in your combustion chambers and throws it right out thru the exhaust... That is why you get the tremendous smoke clouds when seafoaming your engine...

Some people have seen as much as 10hp gains when seafoaming, but it should make the car run a bit smoother as well...

It's a good idea to do it with cars over 50,000 miles or so in my humble opinion... Just make sure when and if you seafoam your car to warn your neighbors or do it in a very open area...The fire departement may just show up...

You can purchase Seafoam at most auto parts stores or I bought mine on Amazon.com...

• 1 month later...
Just make sure when and if you seafoam your car to warn your neighbors or do it in a very open area...The fire departement may just show up...

After all the talk about the Seafoam, I tried it tonight on my 91 with 158000 on it. I slowly allowed a third of a can to be sucked in through a vacuum line, noted a bit of smoke, and then killed the engine for 5-6 minutes. It died twice upon restart and smoked a little, but NOTHING like what I have seen on the various youtube videos.

Is my engine just that clean or did I somehow do something wrong?

Just make sure when and if you seafoam your car to warn your neighbors or do it in a very open area...The fire departement may just show up...

After all the talk about the Seafoam, I tried it tonight on my 91 with 158000 on it. I slowly allowed a third of a can to be sucked in through a vacuum line, noted a bit of smoke, and then killed the engine for 5-6 minutes. It died twice upon restart and smoked a little, but NOTHING like what I have seen on the various youtube videos.

The more build up the more smoke. If it doesn't smoke a lot, that means you didn't need it as much.

I've been doing it every 6 months for the past year and I notice a significant improvement in mileage and engine smoothness.

The first time I did it, I got a decent amount of smoke. I followed the directions as you did, but aftre the 5 minutes I took it for a 10 mile drive to really work it through. When I first took off I had plenty of embarrassing smoke for about the first 3-4 miles and after that it dissipated 95%+. This last time I did it, it smoked some, but not near as much.

My guess is that your engine was/is pretty clean. Less smoke = less buildup. Keep an eye on your mileage to see if it improves ast all...my guess, it should improve a bit. Mine went from 14-15 city/hwy to about 18-19 city/hwy...hope yours improves just as much. Wose case, your engine's cleaner.

I use that stuff in every single car I own. It's incredible. Do it right before you change your oil as to avoid it eating any seals (may be possible). Run it through your gas and everything.

Great stuff.

• 8 months later...

you shouldn't use that much!! one can would be enough, after you suck it up kill the car for 15 - 20 min then turn it on an rev it around 3500 4000 rpm you should get pretty good amount of smoke. i just did it in my 93 sc400 w/ 154k

i strongly encourage anyone and everyone that drives a car with more then 50,000 miles or thats older then about 5 years old to use seafoam. you can get it from autozone for about $6 a can. i usualy do between 2\3 and 3\4 n the gas then the last little bit in the oil. i only suggest putting it in the oil if you are going to be changing your oil and oil filter in the next month or so. as far as in the intake a third a can is way too much in the intake. i would say do maybe a fifth of a can at most, if you feel thats not enough do a couple stages of a little at a time, it should not kill the engine, but you let it suck some up then turn the car off and let it sit for 5-10 min then start it up and rev it, it will probaly smoke alot.

this stuff is amazing it helps with MPG, a smoother ride, smoother and improved acceleration, and in some cases even an improved sound. this stuff is amazing and if used properly i suggest to everyone.

I have a 99 4runner with over 200K on it, Ill do the Seafoam about every 3-6 months, except I let it sit for atleast an hour, IMO letting it sit for 10 -20 minutes is not enough time, I try to do this at night, and let it soak overnight, DO NOT do this in the garage, lol

It does work, it does smooth things out, a little better response.

i came across this video on youtube and i was wondering if this really works and if so how?? i wanna try it on my 93' sc300 but im scared that itll just ruin my car. where would i get that seafoam stuff anyway?? thanks!

:blush:

One thing noone has mentioned is that you CAN use too much of this stuff and if you do, your engine is toast. As in locked up and ruined. I'm speaking of course in terms of letting the running engine suck it up through the vacuum hose attached to the valve cover (I never can remember whether this is PCV, EGR, or if the terms are interchangable since they both appear to do the same thing to me). Follow the directions precisely. Call a Lexus dealership if you want assurance of this, they'll tell you the same thing as will most mechanics. Half a pint at most!!!!

i strongly encourage anyone and everyone that drives a car with more then 50,000 miles or thats older then about 5 years old to use seafoam. you can get it from autozone for about $6 a can. i usualy do between 2\3 and 3\4 n the gas then the last little bit in the oil. i only suggest putting it in the oil if you are going to be changing your oil and oil filter in the next month or so. as far as in the intake a third a can is way too much in the intake. i would say do maybe a fifth of a can at most, if you feel thats not enough do a couple stages of a little at a time, it should not kill the engine, but you let it suck some up then turn the car off and let it sit for 5-10 min then start it up and rev it, it will probaly smoke alot.

this stuff is amazing it helps with MPG, a smoother ride, smoother and improved acceleration, and in some cases even an improved sound. this stuff is amazing and if used properly i suggest to everyone.

How about in the gas tank? I just put in 16 ounces of seafoam and topped off the tank. The can said one ounce for each gallon, and with the SC400 20 gallon tank I figured it should be good. Anyone knows if it's a good fuel injector cleaner applied this way.

Exactly how do you siphon the seafoam through the egr system???