Maintinence

stocksc3

did i spell maintinence right?

but anyways...

i bought my lexus sc3 with 107k miles on it, and now it has 108k, i have now settled down and have time to pay more attention to the lex.. what are the regular Maintenances that need to be done.. so far i have noticed that the air filter is onyx black :ph34r: , looks like the person before took care of the interior but the engine. Also when i start up my car i have to crank it twice because i dont want to keep cranking the starter for more than 2-3 sec, so i think i should change my spark plugs, any suggestions to what else needs to be looked, and what brand products do you suggest, keep in mind i'm a balla on a budget, i go to texas tech university in lubbock and gotta pay rent and tuition.... thank you

It's in your owner's manual. There's schedule A, and schedule B. A is for most cars.

You might want to change the spark plugs. One way to check to make sure you need to is open up the hood and look for the spark plug (ignition) wires. There's six of them. They should have a date printed on them. Usually wires are changed at the same time as spark plugs. If the wire is older than 72 months (6 years), then it would be a good time to change them. Stock Denso brand is good.

For the air filter, if you want to save money, take some compressed air and blow out the particles from the back side of the filter, then do it from the front side. Stock Denso brand is good, you can try K&N it might increase airflow and it's reuseable so long term it might be good. I'm a little worried about the filtration performance of K&N filters because they state that over time the filtering gets better and better, hence the filter gets clogged up fast yet they state horsepower increases.

As for the starter, I have the same situation on my manual sc300 w/ 130k.

Change oil every 3 or 4 months, 3-3.75k miles, whichever is first.

Check to see when the timing belt was changed. It needs to be changed every 60,000 miles.

my car didn't come with a maual, i looked on eaby and they were selling one for 35, kinda steep for just paper :huh: but i dunno, might buy it one day

btw, i'm trying to keep my car as stock as possible, cuase i have no money and go to college, i know if i start modding it, i will starve myself cause every penny will be saved for a turbo, so i am trying to stop myself from any high performance mods, but anything that helps gas mileage will be done :D

maybe in 3 yrs after i graduate and take over my dads businees i might be one of faster sc3s out there

thanks again

If you want to save gas you can try the BFI cold air intake. If you keep the RPMs below 3500 and no full throttle you should be able to save gas. It'll cost you about $15 or depending on what tools you have (screwdriver, rachet, saw). I did it on mine and I'm not sure as to what mileage I used to get, but right now I get 21 mpg on a manual sc. I give it a run through the canyon once before every fill up and that eats a ton of gas.

Like my friend who started the talk I am in College, and therefore don't have crap (workshop,tools,garage) sooo...does anyone want or think they can, make a BFI that will ship out to Phoenix that I will be able to just put on w/ a screw driver?? Sounds like alot but i'd be willing to spend about 30 or so dollars for time spent, (i'd pay shipping) That would be awesome, thanks

-Robert

this bfi looks very similiar to a ram air mod for ls1's. this was the first mod me and my bro did when we shared a car. but cutting the stock air box was not fun.

as the gentlemen above me stated its easier if someone who has already made one makes it and sells it, it will be better.. i dunno if you guys are familiar with the terrane in lubbock, but it is extremely dusty and have many dust storms, so i need something i can just drop in and clean later on