Break In Period

I'm a newbie, just got the IS 250 RWD MT last week, I was told by the dealer that there is no break in period for the vehicle. Is this true?

The only thing I would say is DO NOT DRIVER AT A FIXED SPEED! i.e. NO CRUISE for at least the first 500 miles. Other wise, once it is fully warmed up drive it as you would any other car.

• 3 months later...

+1 don't cruise at any speed for an extended period. Another is that you should keep it below 3k b4 warmup. after that you can do whatever you want. I suggest maybe you replace the engine oil at 1-2kmiles to flush out the break in metals that could be in the oil.

When I got my new IS 250 AWD, I drove it soft for a few miles maybe until it got 700 miles I started driving like any car, but what they say is true, dont use cruise control, and when your going on a trip or sumthing, just try to check your rpms and try to not stay in one rpm for too long. Have fun in your new IS. :cheers:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
I think 1000 - 1500 miles is a good amount of break in time. But what is the consensus of the board?

The owner's manual says 1000 km (620 mi), although my dealer said that driving it too carefully right away would not be good. I drove it pretty much like normal, but no WOT and no cruise. Now I'm at 965, and ready to roll.

Man you IS guys hate reading the manual! :D

The Owners Manual (it lives in that leathery pouch-like thing in the glovebox!) describes how to break in your new Lexus and why you shouldn't maintain a steady speed for long periods of time.

:cheers:

For the average daily drive it would be almost impossible to "break the rules" for break-in.

Break-in periods for engines in waaaaaayyyyy in the past. There is NO break-in periods for today's engines....

Get out of the 19th Century!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stupidly in 1982 I asked a German Mecerdes Benz mechanic "Do I need to break in this engine"??.... He laughed at me..... and said "Drive it like you want it to run"!!!! "Don't baby it"!!!

Dang Randy! You are such a hippy!

There are rules to be followed, dang it! RULES!

:lol:

This is what my manual says about ye olde break-in period:

BREAK-IN PERIOD

Drive gently and avoid high speeds.

You need not follow a break-in schedule with your new Lexus.

But following a few simple tips for the first 1600 km (1000 miles)

can add to the future economy and long life of your vehicle:

Avoid full throttle acceleration when starting and driving.

Avoid racing the hybrid system.

Try to avoid hard stops during the first 300 km (200 miles).

Do not tow a trailer during the first 800 km (500 miles).

Do not allow Randy to drive your Lexus for the first 30,000 km (20,000 miles).

Respect the rools!

Man you IS guys hate reading the manual! :D

The Owners Manual (it lives in that leathery pouch-like thing in the glovebox!) describes how to break in your new Lexus and why you shouldn't maintain a steady speed for long periods of time.

:cheers:

You mean that pouch that contains 10 manuals and reads like a Microsoft Certification book? :)

I brought my car in Carlsbad, Southern Cali, but I live in Sacamento, CA

I had to drive 650miles over the Mountains and up the Valley

and I didn't use the Cruise.

The 08 IS250 X-package, I brought was on the lot for 11months and I ask

to get the oil changed also because of the long drive home.

The other Day I waxed a IS300, so it runs strong at 1000.

Just had my 1000 mile services last weekend.