Audio Stereo

BrIsKxXx43

I'm having my deck and full stereo installed today. It's a basic Alpine CD/MP3 deck, with some Infinity 4" Reference Series speakers, a Pioneer 10" free-air subwoofer, and an Alpine 5-channel amp to power everything. I'm paying 390 dollars (labor only plus some wires--I bought a 4 channel amp kit on Ebay cheap) to have it done by a place that looks like they know what they're doing (they've worked on the SC300/400 before and know all of the intricancies). I also bought the cosmetic smooth plastic piece from www.sc400tuner.com that fills in the void around the radio because of the double DIN space. I'm still awaiting the final product in about 4 hours or so so I'll let you know how it went!

As for self installation I was thinking about it, but then decided to opt for a professional place to do it because of my unfamiliarity with car stereo installations and the odd attributes of our vehicle. I checked out www.carstereohelp.com for pics showing the removal of our speakers and head unit and I was like...hmmm...I think I'll save up for a pro install!

Good luck with your project--or just work some overtime and save up for it like me! :magic:

Got the SC back yesterday with the new stereo in it. Al and Ed's in Pasadena, CA did a fine job installing it, and didn't report any problems putting my components in. The cosmetic piece looks great, like it was meant to be there, and the sub sounds really good too for a free air sub. Only problem is that with Infinity 4" speakers all around I've gots lots of bass, good highs, and no midrange. I think I'll go and try and fine tune the stereo today, and/or hope the speakers "break in" with time. All in all, 4" speakers all around, 10" free air sub seemed to be nothing too hard to put in for the fellas there!

PS-- GO BUCS!!! what a Monday Night SHELLACKING!

PS--fixed the speaker problem. Apparently I didn't listen closely enough and one of the speakers was out, because the RCA cable was defective. They fixed it today and after messing around with the ridiculous amount of sound options on the Alpine head unit (there's like some MX sound thing, like 3 bass adjustments and "zones"...pretty crazy, head unit amp power on or off with or w/o amp etc.) the whole system sounds pretty nice. They set it up for heavy rap/hip hop music but I turned all the bass boosts off for my hard rock/metal music. I'm already thinking of getting 6.5's in the rear for more midrange and tight bass...

Good luck!

• 2 months later...

How much did all of this cost you? I just bought a 93 400 and i love it, however i don't use cassettes anymore and i'd rather have a cd player than a slow changer. i'm deciding whether to change the head or replace the changer.

sounds nice, id like to see some pics to, im getting my install tomorrow, ill post pics after i get it done, i got the alpine CDA-9815 head unit and a special piece that no one "hopefully" has ever used. im getting my install at earmark car audio in plano tx (highly suggest for anyone in the area). your set up sounds awsome. infinity references are known to not be good at all with mids. check out if your alpine has i-personalize as an option, if so go to www.alpine.com and go through their i-personalize section, you will crap you self in confusion but be overwhelmed with such a grand option, you can fine tweak your head unit like nuts, but i think you hafta have a cd-burner to use it.

• 3 weeks later...