'08 400h On Lexus.com Now

Jim, the EPA retroactively modified all CAFE rating back to 1987 recently, to reflect more "real world" conditions. And, the numbers you are quoting are all 4WD versions. That being said, I rarely achieve the 27/25 that my 2WD 400h is supposed to get.

Tom

Jim, the EPA retroactively modified all CAFE rating back to 1987 recently, to reflect more "real world" conditions. And, the numbers you are quoting are all 4WD versions. That being said, I rarely achieve the 27/25 that my 2WD 400h is supposed to get.

Tom

Yes, I realize the CAFE ratings were modified. I don't think it fares well for the RX400h though. I think the margin of gas savings between the two models is narrowing and it makes it more difficult now than ever to justify the additional cost between the RX400h and RX350. I realize the "green" aspect still needs to be considered, SULEV vs ULEVII... Hopefully the Lithium Ion bugs will get worked out and the mileage numbers can increase. I'd put money on the 2008 RX400h sales decreasing or the percentage of 400h's being sold to decrease vs the RX350's sales to be more accurate.

Jim

Tom

One additional comment... The 07 RX350's CAFE recalculation took the rating down from 19/24 to 17/22 for the 08 model. Compared to the 07 RX400h which went from 31/27 to 26/24 in 08 (AWD models). A more significant drop when comparing the two...

The biggest advantage of choosing an RX400h over an RX350, IMO, is the city mileage. Even when choosing a Prius over a Corolla, for instance, makes no sense if most of your driving is leisurely, 65 MPH highway driving on low-density roads. 26 MPG is a 53% increase - very significant if you are going to keep your hybrid for many years. Most of our driving includes a heavy mixture of stop & go and slow-moving. Whereas before buying our RX, we had to fuel up every week, we now fuel up every two weeks - a minimum of $40 savings per week. Multiply that by 52 weeks and it's esy to see that owning our RX for just 10 years handily pays off any increase in cost for the hybrid powertrain.

For big-city people (or those who live near big cities), it's a no-brainer!

Dave

The biggest advantage of choosing an RX400h over an RX350, IMO, is the city mileage. Even when choosing a Prius over a Corolla, for instance, makes no sense if most of your driving is leisurely, 65 MPH highway driving on low-density roads. 26 MPG is a 53% increase - very significant if you are going to keep your hybrid for many years. Most of our driving includes a heavy mixture of stop & go and slow-moving. Whereas before buying our RX, we had to fuel up every week, we now fuel up every two weeks - a minimum of $40 savings per week. Multiply that by 52 weeks and it's esy to see that owning our RX for just 10 years handily pays off any increase in cost for the hybrid powertrain.

For big-city people (or those who live near big cities), it's a no-brainer!

Dave

(31/27 to 26/24) I'm surprised the highway number took such a hit. In both of my current vehicles I meet or exeed highway rating.

A 1994 Camry XLE rated at 23 highway gets 24-25 on occasion (long highways trips, few mountain passes). An 01 Acuta TL rated at 28

on the highway gets 29-30 mpg! (the TL is amaxingly efficient at 70+ MPH!).

That being saig I am considering the 400h not only for the 8 mph (which I believe is significant) additional MPG over the 350 but

fot the CVT tranny and overall power. To me the CVT tranny elimination of shift points is very luxurious (based on a test drive).

I am most curious to find out if there have been any fixes to the vehile for issues on the 06/07 models like the reported surging

etc. Refinements in the trip computer (miles to empty) and so forth.

/Steve

Both your Camry and Acura have a big advantage when driving at typical CA highway speeds - much lower coeficcient of drag. All Toyota-designed hybrids are running almost entirely on gas-power at cruising speeds, so I wouldn't expect a 4600 lb SUV to achieve much more than mid-twenties on a long highway run.

I believe there is a software download (at the dealership) to help fix any surging complaints. Our 2006 RX400h has had no such issue. In fact, in the 2+ years since we've owned this vehicle, my only complaint was the 30 psi tire inflation recommendation that is clearly labeled on the door jam. This pressure should be 35-36 psi.

Both your Camry and Acura have a big advantage when driving at typical CA highway speeds - much lower coeficcient of drag. All Toyota-designed hybrids are running almost entirely on gas-power at cruising speeds, so I wouldn't expect a 4600 lb SUV to achieve much more than mid-twenties on a long highway run.

I believe there is a software download (at the dealership) to help fix any surging complaints. Our 2006 RX400h has had no such issue. In fact, in the 2+ years since we've owned this vehicle, my only complaint was the 30 psi tire inflation recommendation that is clearly labeled on the door jam. This pressure should be 35-36 psi.

I agree completely with what you are saying. My point was that usually I have found that I was able to get pretty close to if not exceed

the EPA highway ratings with both sedans (Toyota and Acura). What I would have expected is that the highway rating be pretty close to what

they were before and the city ratings to take a big hit because of the nature of the electric drive and ICE in real world traffic.

In the case of the Acura TL the old EPA ratings were 19/29 and new 17/27. I easily meet or beat the highway ratings of 29 even traveling in

excess of 70-75 MPH.

Perhaps the frontal area and CD of 0.35 and weight take more of a toll on the Rx in terms of real world driving (it's ability to meet EPA highway rating).

That coupled with what the RX tranny is doing at highway speeds. The Acura TL is at a measily 2k RPM at 75 mph. I've no idea what the RX CVT

is doing at highway speeds. Maybe it's geared more towards performance? Then there is the weight factor too (as you mention). That would

impact results much more in hilly areas than flat highway speeds where CD is the biggest factor.

I think mid 20's+ for city ratings is actually not bad at all for a vehicle like this. 24 highway is just...OK.

Too bad I couldn't rent one of these things for a week or two and see what I get.

I've set my minimum requirements for fuel at 25 MPG for any next vehicle and 30+ preferable. Looks like the RX just makes it.

What intrigues me most about the RX is the whole package: Performance, CVT, and somewhat reasonable EPA figures combines

with luxury and one of the best looking, classy body styles. It's actually THE only SUV styled vehicle I would consider. I don't like

ANY other SUV out there.

/Steve

Steve,

That was our reasoning, exactly. My wife needed something that placed her high enough to survey much of the road ahead, and my prerequisite was good gas mileage and plenty of luxury amenities. No other vehicle comes close in those regards. I did read recently that Porsche will be coming out with a hybrid Cayenne within the next two years. Let's face it, in the US, diesels are not very popular when it comes to passenger vehicles, much to the chagrin of the German car companies.

Dave