Navigation Problem

My navigation system has, on multiple occasions, taken me to the wrong final destination. It has missed the final destination from a few hundred yards to several miles. But sometimes it is right on the final address. The dealer has "recalibrated" the system, but the problem continues. Has anyone had the same problem and its solution?

UPDATE: The dealer admitted the problem and called in a factory service person. I am told that there is "focus" in the navigation system that is adjustable. The focus in my system was not precise and just gave a general location. The system has presumedly been adjusted to a more precise location. So far, I have not had the same problem but I have only given it limited testing.

After more testing, the problem of faulty final destinations continue. So far, it has tried to reroute me OFF of the street with the final destination and send me to the wrong place. The navigation system has also refused to accept addresses that do exist and does not show streets that have existed for decades. Even when the final destination is close to the actual one, it often gives a route that is clearly not the shortest. The navigation system on my GX470 and my former LS430 were accurate and on target every time. The LS460 system is clearly defective and Lexus acts like the problem does not exist. My confidence is dropping fast on Lexus quality and service. The service people tell me that I am the only one to complain of this problem. The messages on this forum show that this is BS. It appears that a long battle is shaping up until Lexus can come up with a solution.

Nov. 20, 2007 update; The Navigation system remains inaccurate. In the latest trip it wanted to send me to someplace that was completely in the wrong direction. When I ignored the wrong direction, it then recalculated and sent me to the correct location. Other trials resulted in many wrong directions. My conclustion is that THE NAVIGATION SYSTEM IS UNRELIABLE AND CANNOT BE TRUSTED. It was a $3,000. waste of money.

I would appreciate more reader's feedback who do and do not have this problem. If there are units without any problem and are accurate all of the time, I can go the dealer and demand that it be replaced or reprogrammed. However, if all of the 2007 Nav systems are defective, then there is no use trying to get it fixed. Thanks.

12/27/07 The Lexus service manager, my salesman and I took a tour of a couple of places that had given me wrong directions in the past in my LS460. The nav system was completely in error on a major intersection near my home. It had the screen and the voice contradicting one another in one direction and in the opposite direction, both the screen and the voice were wrong. The service manager then said that he took two or three other new Lexus over the same route and they made the same mistakes. It was Lexus' conclusion therefore that the satellites were the problem and NOT the nav systems. WOW, what convenient reasoning powers. I wonder how my GX470 nav system received the correct signals at the same location from these faulty satellites?

On another route, the nav system routed the car to the wrong place by about 1/2 mile when the address was put in manually. But when the name of the club was put in then the nav system went to the correct address. How are we supposed to know when to put in the name or the address? Shouldn't it give the correct directions for both the name and the address?

I have to give the agency credit for at least sending out its people to see what the problem is. Howver, my impression is that the service manager is fearful of Lexus and is following the factory orders. My salesman was more honest and said that he has had many complaints about the nav system.

My only resort seems to be to buy a Garmin and set it on the dash or return the car as a lemon. Maybe I will do both. Why can't Lexus own up to its problems?

My navigation system has, on multiple occasions, taken me to the wrong final destination. It has missed the final destination from a few hundred yards to several miles. But sometimes it is right on the final address. The dealer has "recalibrated" the system, but the problem continues. Has anyone had the same problem and its solution?

IMHO, these problems are not caused by Lexus or the Nav system, but by companies like NAVTEQ who provide the mapping database. Computers are only as good as the programmers and the quality of data...

IMHO, these problems are not caused by Lexus or the Nav system, but by companies like NAVTEQ who provide the mapping database. Computers are only as good as the programmers and the quality of data...

Yes, it is passable, but does not seem to be as good as the LS430 version. On the other hand the traffic reporting is awesome.

Just today, I too had the same problem. I was right in front of my destination but it was asking me to keep going in a new direction. Until today, I did not realize that this problem even existed.

Also, another question: Lets say we picked a destination. It shows the exits to be taken. In the previous (98) version, I could tap ahead to see all the exits to be taken. But now, we cant fast forward. Besides, I can't tell whether they are exits which I need to take or just names of passing exits. It seems there are two options. I did not bother to look into it too much. Too many choices in this system! Certainly, its superior to the Idrive of bmw, audio and merc but they are making it too complicated. I find that the $300 Garmin is much more user friendly and simple to use!

Just today, I too had the same problem. I was right in front of my destination but it was asking me to keep going in a new direction. Until today, I did not realize that this problem even existed.

Also, another question: Lets say we picked a destination. It shows the exits to be taken. In the previous (98) version, I could tap ahead to see all the exits to be taken. But now, we cant fast forward. Besides, I can't tell whether they are exits which I need to take or just names of passing exits. It seems there are two options. I did not bother to look into it too much. Too many choices in this system! Certainly, its superior to the Idrive of bmw, audio and merc but they are making it too complicated. I find that the $300 Garmin is much more user friendly and simple to use!

These systems are nearly alway on the money but they are made by humans and humans make mistakes. Anyone expecting perfection in a vehicles navigation system is only fooling themself and should be overjoyed by all the accurate destinations it delivers and stop complaining about the 1 or two cases it wasn't spot on. There is so little to complain about with this car that some of us just feel a need to dig deep. This forum is incredibly boring and it's Lexus to thank for delivering such a fine product with very little to talk about except the postive things which so rarely make it on this site.

We just returned from a 2000 mile loop vacation and learned not to trust our nav package! It lost us about an hour when we drove by a previously deleted interim destination for some reason. The only thing that saved us later was to only put a single destination in at any one time. Then the only problem is that it sometimes tells you to turn long after you have passed the intended exit or road. Our 430 never missed. This nav package is great if you already know where your're going, but for the added cost, it's not "Ther relentless pursuit of perfection" like a number of other stupid (i.e. cost cutting) design flaws in the LS460L. After less than 10,000 miles, We could write a booik.

These systems are nearly alway on the money but they are made by humans and humans make mistakes. Anyone expecting perfection in a vehicles navigation system is only fooling themself and should be overjoyed by all the accurate destinations it delivers and stop complaining about the 1 or two cases it wasn't spot on. There is so little to complain about with this car that some of us just feel a need to dig deep. This forum is incredibly boring and it's Lexus to thank for delivering such a fine product with very little to talk about except the postive things which so rarely make it on this site.

I disagree with you. Compare the Lexus navigator with Garmin, the Garmin works a lot better and also a lot cheaper ($300 vs $3K).

We do not expect the navigator of Lexus works perfect but we expect Lexus will buy a better software which is also wrote by the smarter people.

• 3 weeks later...

I learned my lesson....driving from louisville to Roanoke Virginia .....nav took me 2 hours out of my way....DONT TRUST the Nav.......Luckily i printed out directions before leaving and after noticing i was lost i looked and found my way back .....2 HOURS LATER......WAKE UP LEXUS......70k car with poor navi.......sad sad sad

I learned my lesson....driving from louisville to Roanoke Virginia .....nav took me 2 hours out of my way....DONT TRUST the Nav.......Luckily i printed out directions before leaving and after noticing i was lost i looked and found my way back .....2 HOURS LATER......WAKE UP LEXUS......70k car with poor navi.......sad sad sad

Hehehe I did make the test using Nuvi 660C against Lexus Nav. by setting the same destination.

I followed the instructions from the Lexus Nav and get the longer way finally I arrived few hundred yard from the destination.

Using Garmen 660; I drive axactly the destination point I set without any detour.

Oh my God, my previous car was Lexus LS400; that's the reason why I bought this LS460 but LS460 really disappoint me.

Copy you, I need to yell too: LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS.... WAKE UP WAKE UP PLEASE AND HEAR WHAT THE USERS SAID......

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE: The dealer admitted the problem and called in a factory service person. I am told that there is "focus" in the navigation system that is adjustable. The focus in my system was not precise and just gave a general location. The system has presumedly been adjusted to a more precise location. So far, I have not had the same problem but I have only given it limited testing.

After more testing, the problem of faulty final destinations continue. So far, it has tried to reroute me OFF of the street with the final destination and send me to the wrong place. The navigation system has also refused to accept addresses that do exist and does not show streets that have existed for decades. Even when the final destination is close to the actual one, it often gives a route that is clearly not the shortest. The navigation system on my GX470 and my former LS430 were accurate and on target every time. The LS460 system is clearly defective and Lexus acts like the problem does not exist. My confidence is dropping fast on Lexus quality and service. The service people tell me that I am the only one to complain of this problem. The messages on this forum show that this is BS. It appears that a long battle is shaping up until Lexus can come up with a solution.

I'm not happy at all with my Nav system. Our 06 Toyo Avalon was spot on in every situation. My 460 Nav sys is sometimes several miles off from our home address and I've set it several times with no luck

• 1 month later...