New Owner, Bluetooth / Voice Command Question

I just bought 2007 IS250 with Navigation. After driving 95 Nissan Altima for 12 years, this is a welcoming change. However, I do have a couple of questions regarding Lexus Bluetooth functionality / voice commands. My cell phone is LG VX8700 (“Shine”) and my career is Verizon Wireless.

Bluetooth issues;

1. After struggling for couple of days, I found out that I can perform the following functions with my phone and Lexus Bluetooth system.

-pair the phone

-receive calls using the steering wheel

-initiate a call by using voice dialing (dial by phone number only)

However, I cannot do the following functions;

-transfer phone numbers (one or multiple) – Bluetooth connection drops whenever I attempt this.

-initiate a call by using voice dialing, using names instead of numbers

First issues seem to be dealing with the fact that Verizon disabled OBEX profile in Bluetooth for most of its phones (yes I did some research). I know there are solutions out there, including buying unlocked GSM phone and transferring numbers through it. Before I tried this though, is there anyone with Verizon wireless that successfully transferred phone numbers with ease?

Second issue is actually what concerns me more; I am used to voice-dialing using names instead of a number. I use the voice command “Dial by name” from the phone screen, but it does not seem to work. Can someone show me how?

2. Bluetooth Consultant: I have an appointment with a Bluetooth Consultant in a few weeks. Would he be able to resolve some of the issues noted above?

3. Voice Commands and POI: I was trying to use voice commands when finding POI, but this seems impossible when I was trying to find nearby “Costco”. Does Voice Command only work POI categories and not POI names?

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

The "Dial By Name" voice command works, but you have to know a trick, not documented properly in the manual.

When editing a phone book entry, use the "next page" button on the bottom-left of your screen. You'll see that you need to train that entry for dial by name. You need to come up with a couple of syllables for these names, like "Jim's cell" rather than just "Jim", for example.

Then you say that trained name as a response to "say the name".

Its true that Verizon disables file sharing in its bluetooth protocol and has always had the worst experience with the Lexus bluetooth, but its not all bleak for you as you have a newer model Lexus. Some of the Verizons phones will transfer contacts to the newer Lexus. Just go through the list and see which one will allow contact transfer.

http://lexusbluetooth.letstalk.com/product...=1&model=IS

Make sure you also check the quick guide pairing instructions for each phone. There seems to be an error with the K1m. Bluetooth functions say no transfer, but the quick pairing instructions says yes.

• 2 months later...
The "Dial By Name" voice command works, but you have to know a trick, not documented properly in the manual.

When editing a phone book entry, use the "next page" button on the bottom-left of your screen. You'll see that you need to train that entry for dial by name. You need to come up with a couple of syllables for these names, like "Jim's cell" rather than just "Jim", for example.

Then you say that trained name as a response to "say the name".

Hi sharpcolorado,

I'm having no luck with Dial by Name voice command.

I know it's a chore, but could you possibly give me the step by step, (screen by screen) input to make calls by name?

I get hung up in the first Phone Book screen, and I need all the help I can get.

The Dealer is of no help.

Thanks,

Vegas

I just upgraded to the LG VX8550 from Verizon with Bluetooth. I selected this phone based in part on it having the best compatibility from the Lexus Bluetooth list that was referenced in a previous reply.

I was able to link two phones to the ML/Nav system in my IS250. The complete phone books were also transferred over successfully as a second step. Basically you have to tell the vehicle to prepare for data transfer, next tell the phone to transfer the data. I made sure that all of my phone entries had the “1” prefix in the phone number as well.

The voice command needs to be trained for each of the numbers that you wish to call. Looks doable but have not tried it yet. Just go the new phones over the holiday weekend.

I am hoping that I can link my phone to my key fob just like the driver’s seat settings. That way, my wife’s phone and phone book will be automatically loaded when she is using the vehicle. However I have not read that this is possible so far but I am still looking in to it.

Regards,

• 2 weeks later...

dial by name:

say dial buy name

car responds 'dial by name has been chosen, when the display has updated please say the name'

you press talk switch

it says please say the name

you say the name

it says the name you just said

then it says push off hook switch to dial orsay dial

oir something like that

ANNOYING

blackberry 8830 was able to transfer phone book no problem.

my older blackberry (7250) didnt work

• 1 year later...

On my Blackberry I can speed dial my voice mail number including password. For example 555 555 5555p#5555#

This coding sequence dials the number, pauses and waits for the voicemail and then adds the password and gets me into my voicemail in one step.

The Lexus speed dial function drops the last sequence and I have to do this off of my Blackberry to complete the call.

Any suggestions? The car is a 2009 ES 350 with Nav.

Don't have Verizon, but I am with their sister CDMA provider Bell Mobility. I'm not able to transfer my contact list either. Got a Moto Razr.

Regarding the voice recognition, in my opinion - it sucks! It's so off. & the worst part is there are no voice commands for climate control on my '06 IS250 AWD. I think the later models have this funcionality

• 1 month later...

Since I have been dealing with BT and have Verizon, I thought I would throw my 2cents in....

Transferring contacts depends on the phone. My Palm would not but my wife's LG ENV and my new Blackberry Storm does also.

You have to voice record the "name" for each contact in the car. IMO, it is time consuming to record each contact and saying "dial [name that you have to remember]" doesn't always work.

I actually find it is easier to dial by name using my phone's voice command which actually does dial the correct contact without pre-recording anything.