Folding Side Mirrors

Shel

I have a GS350 with manually folding side mirrors. The problem is that they don't unfold automatically when you start the car.

This created a dangerous situation when I parked in a tight spot and folded the mirrors. Then my wife started the car; drove off with the mirrors still folded and panicked when she notice the mirrors were folded. This is a dangerous situation.

I know the LS gives you options on how you want your mirrors handled but I think as a minimum Lexus should but out a service mod for other models to unfold the mirrors automatically when the car is in either forward or reverse gear.

Sorry, but your wife did something silly. You need to unfold the mirrors before you drive away, any failure to do that is the responsibility of the driver not the auto manufacturer.

Responsibility is key.

The premise that the car should be designed so that the driver doesn't have to participate in safe driving practices, such as ensuring the mirrors are properly adjusted, is preposterous.

For one thing automatically unfolding the mirrors when you have affirmatively folded them would make the folding fucntion useless. The purpose is so that you don't bump the mirrors on close objects while parking. What would be the point of having them unfold and bang into whatever you had folded them to avoid? Makes no sense.

Sorry, but your wife did something silly. You need to unfold the mirrors before you drive away, any failure to do that is the responsibility of the driver not the auto manufacturer.

Responsibility is key.

The premise that the car should be designed so that the driver doesn't have to participate in safe driving practices, such as ensuring the mirrors are properly adjusted, is preposterous.

For one thing automatically unfolding the mirrors when you have affirmatively folded them would make the folding fucntion useless. The purpose is so that you don't bump the mirrors on close objects while parking. What would be the point of having them unfold and bang into whatever you had folded them to avoid? Makes no sense.

Yeah, what he said.

Responsibility is key.

Then why does the read window sunshade go down automatically when you go in reverse and go back up when you shift to forward? Why do we have stability control in cars. Surely we can all be responsible for not driving around curves too fast. The fact that Lexus allows us to fold the mirrors and create an unsafe condition if they are not unfolded makes the situation untenable. My wife didn't know what I did And I didn't know my wife would drive the car next.

You fold the mirrors to make passage easier such as in a garage or in a tight parking space not because you will have a collision. If you parked that close you couldn't open the door

but how would the car know when it's ok to open the mirrors back out? Let's say you push a button and the mirrors fold in so you can get in that tight spot. You leave, now you come back and get in the car, start it and???? the mirrors automatically open now? bumping into what you closed the mirrors for in the first place? And what if it's to get by somebody elses mirror or a protruding object, or just a tight door way? When would the mirror be okay to open automatically? And by the way, from the scenario you put up on the first post, you should be glad that the car didn't open the mirrors automatically, because the wife never even checked and would have ripped them off backing out!

I have a GS350 with manually folding side mirrors. The problem is that they don't unfold automatically when you start the car.

This created a dangerous situation when I parked in a tight spot and folded the mirrors. Then my wife started the car; drove off with the mirrors still folded and panicked when she notice the mirrors were folded. This is a dangerous situation.

I know the LS gives you options on how you want your mirrors handled but I think as a minimum Lexus should but out a service mod for other models to unfold the mirrors automatically when the car is in either forward or reverse gear.

icon_rolleyes.gif

Then why does the read window sunshade go down automatically when you go in reverse and go back up when you shift to forward? Why do we have stability control in cars. Surely we can all be responsible for not driving around curves too fast. The fact that Lexus allows us to fold the mirrors and create an unsafe condition if they are not unfolded makes the situation untenable. My wife didn't know what I did And I didn't know my wife would drive the car next.

You fold the mirrors to make passage easier such as in a garage or in a tight parking space not because you will have a collision. If you parked that close you couldn't open the door

Beating_A_Dead_Horse.gif

Are you for serious?

nopity.gif

Responsibility is key.

clap.gif

icon_rolleyes.gif

Beating_A_Dead_Horse.gif

Are you for serious?

nopity.gif

Responsibility is key.

clap.gif

All I'm asking is the GS performs like the LS and the Mercedes which automatically unfold the mirrors when you start the car.

Saving the cost of a switch to differentiate between the LS and GS is foolish and possibly dangerous given the other neat features. If anyone has a DIY fix I would appreciate it.

Because the rear window shade won't smack anything when it goes down.

I'm sorry, but if your wife didn't notice the mirrors were folded when she drove the car and then "panicked" because they were folded she shouldn't be driving a car.

Cars have had folding mirrors for about 15 years now, somehow we've all survived.

All I'm asking is the GS performs like the LS and the Mercedes which automatically unfold the mirrors when you start the car.

Then buy an LS, but as SK said the LS operates the very same way.

I guess the solution to your dillemma is to not fold the mirrors in the first place. Maybe its best to take the bus?

If anyone has a DIY fix I would appreciate it.

There is no "fix" like what you're asking for. Manual mirrors are manual, both to open & to close. Smooth1 made a good point that you don't want the mirrors opening up on their own if you deliberately closed them to get into a tight spot - the car doesn't know the difference. In either forward or reverse, you'll still knock a mirror off if the object you were moving around in the first place is still there. Lesson learned - check both mirros before moving.

We wont abandon you lol, at least as long as you don't post dumb stuff ;)

Oh and Rya, that was MY point, not Smooth's!

Well, actually I projected those thoughts to you so in fact it was mine. :P

And after rereading it I think the point of the car not knowing any better was what she was actually refering to. We all know that mirrors can be folded in and out, but how would the car know when to perform the function "automatically" was the point being referred to. Your point of them automatically opening after you closed them was well taken and first point. I think I moved on to if it did do it automatically, how would it know when to do it.

I was refering to S/1's point about the car not being able to tell the difference if the object is still in the way or not. People still need to actively participate in driving, including mirrors - open, closed or otherwise. :rolleyes:

SW's comment: For one thing automatically unfolding the mirrors when you have affirmatively folded them would make the folding fucntion useless. The purpose is so that you don't bump the mirrors on close objects while parking. What would be the point of having them unfold and bang into whatever you had folded them to avoid? Makes no sense.

S/1's comment: but how would the car know when it's ok to open the mirrors back out? Let's say you push a button and the mirrors fold in so you can get in that tight spot. You leave, now you come back and get in the car, start it and???? the mirrors automatically open now? bumping into what you closed the mirrors for in the first place? And what if it's to get by somebody elses mirror or a protruding object, or just a tight door way? When would the mirror be okay to open automatically? And by the way, from the scenario you put up on the first post, you should be glad that the car didn't open the mirrors automatically, because the wife never even checked and would have ripped them off backing out!

Dude, I wipe my !Removed! with benjamins, keep the money ;)

hahaha

Maybe you should stop that so you can get that LS youv'e been drooling over for a couple years now. :P