'92 300 Pic

wwjdwithca

OK, I think I figured out this PIC thing.

So, yesterday I put a set of SC430 wheels on my Lex with Kumho P235/40-18 tires.

I bought the wheels off of Ebay and got the tires from Discount Tire. The whole deal came in under a grand, and I am completely blown away at how much better the car looks!!! I decided I wanted to go with 18's, and I wanted Lexus wheels, so the SC's were the only ones I could find.

The thing I didn't think about, or realize was how the fact that the wheels are still Lexus that it throws you on what your looking at. You know how aftermarket wheels can somehow cheapen the feeling of the car, even though it still looks better? I don't know, it's hard to explain, but I look at my car now, and I'm like...."What car is this?" The car just looks more luxurious, and larger all at the same time. It's added a sporty look as well, but it seems to have added more luxury than sport. It seems to be comming from the fact that the wheels are big, and the wheel covers make the wheel even feel larger. I'm now calling it my LS300 :D

The tires look really good, and the tread looks like it could handle getting into some water without hyrdroplaning too much. They do track weird. Much more sensitive to the road conditions. The car does certainly handle better, but it just reminds me that I need to replace the shocks and struts to really get in handlling well. I'm wondering what kind of milleage I can expect with these things; 30 grand?

I needed spacers in the back and just used 1-3/8" washers instead of a one piece 1/4" one-piece spacer. Only reason was I couldn't find a set of spacers yesterday that fit my bolt pattern, and I didn't need a 1/4" anyway. I'll change them out if the consensus is I could run into problems. Didn't need anything in front, fits great.

Kevin

post-7-1062949833.jpg

nice looking car. I toyed with the idea of the SC wheels in all chrome, but that would have been too much bling bling.

I really like the look.

As for the rubber, I am running the 235/45-18 so it is very similar. You will feel the road surface more as there is less sidewall to absorb the vibrations from the road. The noise will be higher too. Watch out for potholes and road grates, hopefully the Kumho's have reinforced sidewalls. I didn't see any change in mpg but in my case the overall outside diameter of the tire didn't change.

Lastly......loose the washers immediately!

The rims were meant for the entire mounting surface to sit flush against the hub. By putting washers in instead of one large spacer you have dramatically reduced the amount of surface area that is actually making contact. This is a very dangerous situation. Lugs may snap. Under such pressure and forces the washers may crack, break, compress or even flatten. This sets you up for a loose lug(s) nut that will further complicate things.

Mount the wheels properly for your own safety as well as anyone that rides in the car.

steviej

• 6 months later...

HELP! Have installed aftermasrket DonZ wheels on SC430. Low pressure sensors would not fit wheel without leaking so tire installer removed sensors at my request. NEED to shut off warning buzzer in dash. Dealer will not do disconnect-HELP noise buzzes every few minutes.WHo and how to disconnect the noise please!

Sam

just one question- will going with the 18's throw of your speedo?

the speedo will not change if the overall diameter of the wheel stays the same. For a better explanation that what I just said, go to TireRack.com and read all about it in their tire sizing section. It is explained very well.

steviej

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...