1997 Es300 Check Engine Light Code P1410/1411

dwhmak

The engine light came on a week age and then off without any repair done. It came back on two days ago and is still there. A friend helped to check and came up with codes P1410 and 1411, both pointing to EGR value position sensor problem. I have gone thru' this forum and different members have proposed different solutions ranging from using better quality gas, cleaning the exhaust system, replacing the sensor or even the entire EGR valve. Can anyone here recommend a more systematic way of repair ranging from doing it myself without buying any parts to buying and replacing the entire ERG valve, if necessary? TY.

TY Kashi for the advice. The resistance at the sensor measures 4.18 Kohm and well within the range permitted. So, it is not a problem with the sensor. Moreover, once I disconnected the cable to the sensor, the check engine light was off and has not been on for several hours now after reconnection. Any other advice from experts in this forum?

TY Kashi for the advice. The resistance at the sensor measures 4.18 Kohm and well within the range permitted. So, it is not a problem with the sensor. Moreover, once I disconnected the cable to the sensor, the check engine light was off and has not been on for several hours now after reconnection. Any other advice from experts in this forum?

This is a two trip code--so it might not come back for a little while. If it is still gone after 2 or 3 days, then you have nothing to worry about.

Happened to my Camry once. The code never came back once I reset the check engine light by disconnecting the battery terminal for several minutes.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a question about the replacement part for the EGR valve position sensor. My '97 ES300 sensor appears to be bad, and I want to replace it. The current part has "Toyota 89455-33010" stamped on it, and is the model with the flange and the three bolt holes on it, mounts to EGR Valve via three studs/nuts. I see two different possible replacement parts for the sensor- 89455-33010, and 89455-33020. The first one is about 2x the cost of the second one. Both appear to have the same electrical connector, but that's where the similarities end. The second one (33020) doesn't have the flange, but rather appears to screw into the EGV valve. I took my existing sensor off (33010), took a look/feel around the inside of the hole, and I think I have threads there, but can't tell if it'll actually accept the non-flange version of the sensor. Has anyone successfully swapped the flange version for the non-flange version of this sensor?

Thanks, Tom

I have a question about the replacement part for the EGR valve position sensor. My '97 ES300 sensor appears to be bad, and I want to replace it. The current part has "Toyota 89455-33010" stamped on it, and is the model with the flange and the three bolt holes on it, mounts to EGR Valve via three studs/nuts. I see two different possible replacement parts for the sensor- 89455-33010, and 89455-33020. The first one is about 2x the cost of the second one. Both appear to have the same electrical connector, but that's where the similarities end. The second one (33020) doesn't have the flange, but rather appears to screw into the EGV valve. I took my existing sensor off (33010), took a look/feel around the inside of the hole, and I think I have threads there, but can't tell if it'll actually accept the non-flange version of the sensor. Has anyone successfully swapped the flange version for the non-flange version of this sensor?

Thanks, Tom

I have no answer to your Q. However, for my 97 ES300 the check engine light turned on again after a few days and then even the trac off light went on. The code however remained P1410/1411. So, I replaced the EGR valve position sensor with the same 89455-33010 ( about $60 together with postage) and both lights have been off for a few days now. I'll make another posting if they turn on again. Don't go to the dealer who does not sell the sensor alone but the entire EGR value for $150!

I have no answer to your Q. However, for my 97 ES300 the check engine light turned on again after a few days and then even the trac off light went on. The code however remained P1410/1411. So, I replaced the EGR valve position sensor with the same 89455-33010 ( about $60 together with postage) and both lights have been off for a few days now. I'll make another posting if they turn on again. Don't go to the dealer who does not sell the sensor alone but the entire EGR value for $150!

Thanks for the info. I just need to decide between the two versions and then buy it :)

• 10 months later...
The engine light came on a week age and then off without any repair done. It came back on two days ago and is still there. A friend helped to check and came up with codes P1410 and 1411, both pointing to EGR value position sensor problem. I have gone thru' this forum and different members have proposed different solutions ranging from using better quality gas, cleaning the exhaust system, replacing the sensor or even the entire EGR valve. Can anyone here recommend a more systematic way of repair ranging from doing it myself without buying any parts to buying and replacing the entire ERG valve, if necessary? TY.

It appears it has been a year regarding the last post but I need some guidance on the same topic. I have been driving with my check engine light and traction control lights on for a while now because Firestone scared me away with the amount of money they said it was going to cost to diagnose and fix. The car drives fine. Finally, yesterday I went to a local repair shop and he originally got a p0446 code. He changed a part number that has toyota stamped on it and the part number is 90910-12109. Upon doing that the check engine light went off but quickly went back on. Now the car is giving the same P 1410 and P1411 codes above.

Since it has been a year, I hoped someone else in this forum may have had a similar situation and could advise what will fix the problem. Any help would be much appreciated.

It appears it has been a year regarding the last post but I need some guidance on the same topic. I have been driving with my check engine light and traction control lights on for a while now because Firestone scared me away with the amount of money they said it was going to cost to diagnose and fix. The car drives fine. Finally, yesterday I went to a local repair shop and he originally got a p0446 code. He changed a part number that has toyota stamped on it and the part number is 90910-12109. Upon doing that the check engine light went off but quickly went back on. Now the car is giving the same P 1410 and P1411 codes above.

Since it has been a year, I hoped someone else in this forum may have had a similar situation and could advise what will fix the problem. Any help would be much appreciated.

Do you have P0401 or P0402 code as well? P 1410 and P1411 usually because of the malfunction of EGR Position sensor. You might measure the resistance of the sensor between the terminals VC and E2. It should be between 1.5-4.3K. If the resistance is not specified, replace the sensor. You need to buy 89455-33020 (I'm assuming you have a 97-01 Es300). 89455-33020 is a new PN replaced for 89455-33010. They are exactly the same.

If your sensor is good, then you might have the trouble. You will need to inspect the ERGvalve, VCV or ECM.

The MAINT REQ light came on today in my 04 ES330. The car only has a little over 34,000 miles. It continues to run fine. Not sure if this light is the dsame as a CHECK ENGINE light?