Code Scanner

tampa_cruiser

Just bought a 97 LX450. The first two times I filled it with gas, the check engine light came on. Fortunately the first time, the guy I bought it from had a scanner and checked the code (something about the EGR valve). We decided that I probably did not tighten the gas cap enough. The second time I filled up, I was back it Tampa. I made sure to tighten the cap, but the Check engine light came on after driving a couple of miles.

I think I'll buy a OBD2 code scanner so I can check these, and then clear them if they are not issues.

Does anyone have any recommendations on which ones to get. I probably won't do anything sophisticated with this -- I don't have the space, tools, or inclination to do much of my own repair work.

Thanks,

tim

Just bought a 97 LX450. The first two times I filled it with gas, the check engine light came on. Fortunately the first time, the guy I bought it from had a scanner and checked the code (something about the EGR valve). We decided that I probably did not tighten the gas cap enough. The second time I filled up, I was back it Tampa. I made sure to tighten the cap, but the Check engine light came on after driving a couple of miles.

I think I'll buy a OBD2 code scanner so I can check these, and then clear them if they are not issues.

Does anyone have any recommendations on which ones to get. I probably won't do anything sophisticated with this -- I don't have the space, tools, or inclination to do much of my own repair work.

Thanks,

tim

I have a ACTRON OBD II AutoScanner it is a great middle of the road scanner. $99.99 it seems to do it all. The little display is just big enough. the next size up just gives you a bigger screen and the next size down doesn't let you update new codes from the internet. I have used mine on two dozen other cars with great results.MODEL CP 9175