Problem W/ Brake System

MamasLex

My red BRAKE light in the dash has been lit off and on this past week. I've added brake fluid. That kept it off for a day. Then it will be back on again. The brakes go all the way to the floor when this light is on. Also, my cruise wont work while it is on, safety feature maybe?

Any ideas as to what is wrong? Brake booster was one theory, any others?

Is your master cylinder empty when your pedal goes down to the floor? If you have to keep refilling this cylinder you have a leak which has to be checked where it's coming from. This has to be determined first.

I've only had the car a few months and I dont know when the brakes were last changed.

But I am positive there is a leak somewhere, because yesterday it happened again....Brake light came on, brakes went to the floor, had to fill it up with fluid yet AGAIN!

Ao that is definitely it. I am taking it to a friend who has a shop in town. Hopefully it wont cost me an arm and a leg to fix...right? Please tell me I wont have to re-mortgage the house!! :lol:

When you have a leak that fast it shouldn't be that hard to find. They could put the car up on a lift and see where it's coming from. I'd always prefer having this sort of leak rather than a slow one. ;)

well if you are filling it up tehn you definatly have a leak

more than likely it is because one of the rubber flex hoses at a wheel is brittle at the flanges

to test which one

press on your pedal hard quite a few times with the engine running

it will either break or leave a puddle under that wheel

also look for any drops anywhere where the car is parked to get an idea of it location

i personally would not drive a car with brake failure

because the second you need the brakes it will be gone

not a good feeling to be braking with 1/4 -1/2 of the regualr braking power

i personally would not drive a car with brake failure

because the second you need the brakes it will be gone

not a good feeling to be braking with 1/4 -1/2 of the regualr braking power

I fully agree. When I went to hit the brakes and they sank to the floor, I about had a heart attack!