Engine Power Loss

nichola1

History:

I have a 92 Sc400 about 190K.......in great condition always garage kept, bought new.....great maintance history, switched to synthic oil about 5 years ago.....never any big issues, some electrical now and then......but really love this car and is used for my airport runs..Last time out I was on the express way about 65mph.....when the engine lost power, seemed like half the cylinders....could still drive....never died.....I pulled over and noticed under the hood the mainfold pipes were're really hot.....I checked the water ect........no issues......water level up........I had it towed back home....did a number of test....pressure tested ect.....no water leakes or radiator leaks......but when I started it back up still have the loss of engine power.....I now hear a noise coming from the front of the engine....sounds like metal rattleing......checked the timing belt and tension could not determine if one of the tension pulleys or water pump is bad......just a slight movement on the clutch on the waterpump.........My mechanic said that it is possable the timing belt slipped therfore recommends replacing water pump, tension pulles ect.......

Question: Has anyone on the forum ever had a similar issues or heard of one?

History:

I have a 92 Sc400 about 190K.......in great condition always garage kept, bought new.....great maintance history, switched to synthic oil about 5 years ago.....never any big issues, some electrical now and then......but really love this car and is used for my airport runs..Last time out I was on the express way about 65mph.....when the engine lost power, seemed like half the cylinders....could still drive....never died.....I pulled over and noticed under the hood the mainfold pipes were're really hot.....I checked the water ect........no issues......water level up........I had it towed back home....did a number of test....pressure tested ect.....no water leakes or radiator leaks......but when I started it back up still have the loss of engine power.....I now hear a noise coming from the front of the engine....sounds like metal rattleing......checked the timing belt and tension could not determine if one of the tension pulleys or water pump is bad......just a slight movement on the clutch on the waterpump.........My mechanic said that it is possable the timing belt slipped therfore recommends replacing water pump, tension pulles ect.......

Check your catalytic converter.

Yup, a busted cat will cause so much back pressure that the car will run crappy. Happened to me after those morons did the worst botched exhaust job in history. The car just ran very jerky and had no balls. You will also notice that your fuel efficiency will go way down.

• 4 months later...
History:

Whats up man just browsing the forum and i just had the same problem 3 days ago and fixed it this morning.Check either of your coil packs and bet ya 20 one of them will test bad.60.00 at checker 10 min later back smashing to the airport.Let me know how everything works out for ya.

Hugh <_<

History:

just noticed the date sorry alittle late huh.was i right thiugh just for *BLEEP*s and giggles?cats were hot due to the unburnt fuel getting into the cat and combustung as they run warmer then the cylinder it just came from with no spark.I lit a cigerette off mine.REALLY.

H

Ignition coils...If your car is running on half power that is usually a sign of only four cylinders operating because of a faulty ignition coil... That can destroy your cats in a hurry...If they are running red that is another sign unspent gas is passing thru your exhaust system...

Coils going bad is not uncommon on these older 92 SC400...I've seen it happen a few times out of the blue....

A badly gapped spark plug could misfire one cylinder but would not make the car feel like you lost half the power....

Ignition coils...If your car is running on half power that is usually a sign of only four cylinders operating because of a faulty ignition coil... That can destroy your cats in a hurry...If they are running red that is another sign unspent gas is passing thru your exhaust system...

Coils going bad is not uncommon on these older 92 SC400...I've seen it happen a few times out of the blue....

A badly gapped spark plug could misfire one cylinder but would not make the car feel like you lost half the power....

Ok was just there--and it sounds like a coil. It was my drivers side coil and it did affect the tach in the fact as I attempted to give it gas, the tach would go to zero until I let off the gas or the Xmission would shift. My main indicators was loss of power, hot pipes, sell of raw gas from exhast, and tach going to zero. Never threw a code and as the car is 92 (mine is a 95) I would recommend changing both out and avoid a repeat performance.

There is good chance you roasted your cat converters you may want to check them once you get the car running right... They heat up and turn bright red and cook the insides... Hopefully you didn't run the car too long with a bad coil...