Exhaust Noise At Idle

parker@312

I have a 2002 LX470 (40,000 miles ) that has a noise (rattle ) at idle. It goes away at speed. Their was a voluntary fix, from Lexus, but it still has it and it is worse than my 2000 LX470. I am working with the dealer and corp, but they say it is normal. Has anyone else had any luck fixing this problem? If you have a 2002 do you have the same noise. Thanks for any help in advance.

• 2 months later...

I have a 2002 LX470 (40,000 miles ) that has a noise (rattle ) at idle. It goes away at speed. Their was a voluntary fix, from Lexus, but it still has it and it is worse than my 2000 LX470. I am working with the dealer and corp, but they say it is normal. Has anyone else had any luck fixing this problem? If you have a 2002 do you have the same noise. Thanks for any help in advance.

This is my first post and am new to this site. Hopefully you have found a resolution to this issue since August. But needless to say, I finally found someone who has this same problem. I have a 2000 LX470 with 120K on it. It is still in great condition. I just started noticing this problem. At idle it rattles or vibrates excessively. I took it to my local mechanic and he metioned that it might be the motor mounts. However he checked the motor mounts and he said they were fine and that it might be from normal wear and tear. I told him to find the wear or tear and fix it...:) So he is during a thourough check now and I will let you know what he finds.

I used to hear rattling in my wife's car (2001 LX470) when it was cold. Then, the noise would disappear when the car warms up. So, I changed the driver's side exhaust manifold and the noise is gone. You DO NOT need to pull the engine to change it as quoted by the dealer for $2,100. So, I did it myself!!!

• 5 months later...

I purchased my 2007 LX470 in June. I started hearing this annoying vibratory noise at idle and when I drive at certain speeds. Usually when I cruise at 50 to 60 miles. When I talked to the main techs at Lexus they tell me the noise is normal and this noise exsists in all the LX470. Because the noise is normal they will not do anything to fix the problem. However in my case, they took it twice already for repairs. They changed some exhaust system to say now the noise is fixed, but the same annoying noise is still there. They don't even want me to drop it off again because the noise is "normal". Lexus is fully aware of this noise, but because they can't fix it, they keep telling you the noise is normal. The service techs have said "off the record", they would never purchase the LX470. I am considering further action, but am curious to see if there are other LX470 owners who have had similar problems. I have been told by a Lexus tech that the newer version LX570 no longer has this noise issue.