Question About The Brake Pad Tsib

I went for my 10k mile service yesterday, and told the service rep about the brake pad replacement TSIB.

He strongly recommended that I do not change my brake pads.

He said that while it is true the new pads will have lot less dust, they will also require longer distance and time to stop.

So basically I will be trading stopping power for less dust.

My question is for those who have changed their brake pads to the new ones. Is that true?

Does changing the pads to the new pads really affect the stopping power that much?

He's just trying to avoid doing the TSB...

I've read dozens of folks who've done the TSB now and the replies all seem to fall into one of three categories-

1) Massively less dust and the brakes are barely noticeably worse (is in it might take 6 inches more to stop, tops)

2) Massively less dust and I notice no difference at all in stopping ability

3) Massively less dust and it stops better

Most folks are 1 or 2, with a few saying 3. I suspect 2 is about the truth and 1 and 3 are just a placebo effect.

Either way I've yet to hear anybody who says it's singificantly worse... though keep in mind, they'll be new pads, so like ALL new pads (even the original ones) braking will be worse at first until they're seated/broken in a touch.

I went for my 10k mile service yesterday, and told the service rep about the brake pad replacement TSIB.

He said that while it is true the new pads will have lot less dust, they will also require longer distance and time to stop.

My question is for those who have changed their brake pads to the new ones. Is that true?

Does changing the pads to the new pads really affect the stopping power that much?

I went in for my 15 mile service an dhte service guy said the same thing. I had them changed anyways and the new pads are so much better. The new pads stop jsut as good, and there is a lot less brake dust on the rims. I would have them changed.

I went in for my 15 mile service an dhte service guy said the same thing. I had them changed anyways and the new pads are so much better. The new pads stop jsut as good, and there is a lot less brake dust on the rims. I would have them changed.

15 mile service? :lol: Man I'll bet that get's expensive.....I heard the 50 mile service is a doosey...LOL!

I had mine changed less then 2 weeks ago and I'm loving em. When I went there, the service agent did told me about the disclaimer saying that the new brake pads will have a lot less brake dust but might experience a difference in braking but most people won't even notice it.