Clutch Issue Or Is It Me...

Shawman

I have a 2002 IS300 5 speed with 12,000 mi that I just bought a couple months ago. The clutch seems to engagee in the right place but once the clutch starts to grab it grabs all the way. I thought I would get used to it and maybe it was just me but I still have jerky shifts on a regular basis. I read posts where people say their car shifts like butter and I drool ! I called the dealer and they say that there is no adjustment as the system is hydraulic. I had a Honda S2000 and it tok me about an hour to have that 6 spped down pat ! I've had this car for 3 months and I'm ready to trade it. I love it otherwise !!

Help !

Shawman

I have a 2002 IS300 5 speed with 12,000 mi that I just bought a couple months ago. The clutch seems to engagee in the right place but once the clutch starts to grab it grabs all the way. I thought I would get used to it and maybe it was just me but I still have jerky shifts on a regular basis. I read posts where people say their car shifts like butter and I drool ! I called the dealer and they say that there is no adjustment as the system is hydraulic. I had a Honda S2000 and it tok me about an hour to have that 6 spped down pat ! I've had this car for 3 months and I'm ready to trade it. I love it otherwise !!

Help !

Shawman

The clutch on this car will take time to get use to. It took me 3 months to get a somewhat smooth shift. The key is to have a nice fluid motion and be smooth.

Anywho, because of an CDD (clutch dampening device), about 1/2 to 3/4 way up, the clutch will jump at you. The CDD (or fluid regulator, located near the clutch reservoir) is there so that the driver does not do clutch dumps. The Gen 2 Eclipses have this type of CDD as well (known as th accumulator). There have been discussions about this on IS300.net. If you search thru all the riff-raff you will find what I was talking about.

After owning a RSX-S (6MT) and driving a S2k, it was a bit of a learning curve since the clutch and tranny felt like butter. Toyota may not be as smooth as a Honda, but they are bulletproof.

Hope this helps. ;)