So I Wanna Start Playing Golf

indiasfinest

Been playing for 24 years, was the high school team captain.....but haven't had the chance yet this season on the course (1 year old remember).....I gotta get my butt in gear & to the driving range first lol. :lol:

Too bad so many are all over the map......would be cool to put together a LOC tournament. :D

:cheers:

Rya, don't sweat it girl, I've been in the same boat for the past two years, and have learned a few tricks that gets me by "and re-invited back." It's a two-prong approach.

1) Attitude: Nobody likes playing with someone who doesn't have a sense of humor and gets all serious and mad at themselves for a bad shot. It completely ruins the game, the social environment, and the experiece. Don't be a Caddy Shack Jack, but don't be a John Macnroe either. Have fun, let everyone know you're not a golfer, but love playing it anyway. And you'll find those around you who do know how to play, will embrace you into their circle. People love to give advice, ESPECIALLY golfers! They see a willing student, and they'll fumble all over themselves to teach. A few good laughs at yourself will ease the tension, and you'll be having a lot of fun, as will they. My favorite line I use for my horrible shots is "Well, best call the boy scouts to trackdown that one." or "I hope this place has terrorism insurance, because my game is utter terror to watch".

2) Go to your local golf shop and pick up the HOLY BIBLE of golf cheat sheets. It's a little white book, about 2 inches by 2 inches in size, and has maybe 10 flip card pages. I believe it's called "The Golf Instructor". It's WONDERFUL! It tells you where to place your feet for each type of shot, where to shift your weight, and how to hit the ball. It's not a manual, it's just a little flip book of highlights. You put it in your pocket, and as you're coming up to your shot, just flip to the page "drive, iron, bunker, etc.." and look at the 3 or 4 pointers for the shot. It...is....AMAZING! And the best part, those Ego Maniacs who think they're all that and a bucket of chicken on the golf course, will be asking you if they can borrow it. Keep it close, as it will vanish if you don't. I bought 10 of them, and only have 3 left.

In my industry "large commercial real estate finance", golf is a big part. My company has loans on over 80+ golf courses around the country, and in canada, including the biggest of the biggest... I'm the WORST golfer of the entire department, but I'm also one of the most liked golfers too, and get invited to come out and play quite a bit. Not because I'm good "far from it", but because of my attitude towards the game. If you stink, your saving grace is a good sense of humor.

If all else fails....float the beverage cart girl a $20 to "keep an eye on you", and you'll have cold drinks in your hand all day long. It's amazing what a little "buzz" can do for your game! Seriously, it relaxes you... Just remember, it's much easier for guys to "relieve" themselves than the girls... So time your beverages to the potty-spots.

Hit Dicks Sporting Goods for some good deals on attire. I've found them to have the best prices overall. For about $150 you can score some shorts, golf shirt, shoes, and glove.

I'm heading to !Removed!'s this weekend. My clubs are in terrible shape. Then I'll get started......

Thanks guys for all of you advise.

Don't overdo it on the equipment. A basic golf set of putter, a sand wedge, the odd numbered irons up to and including 5 iron, a 3 wood, and a 5 wood should do it. Tee off with the 3 wood and hit fairway shots with the 5 wood or 5 iron - whichever is working for you at the time. A 7 wood could replace the 5 wood if you hit it better. The 7 is a bit shorter and easier to make contact with the ball and get it airborne. Be sure to go to a store that allows you to hit the clubs in a practice cage. No use buying club that you perceive that you can't hit well.

A quick story: A friend of mine that was a very good golfer came to visit and we decided to play a round of golf although he didn't bring his clubs. He went through my old, rusty, worn-out, "no good shots left in them" clubs and put together a mismatched partial set. He went out and had a fantastic round. The point is that there is no reason to spend a fortune on clubs despite what a salesperson might try to push.

A "starter" set is more than adequate. In fact, I should be playing with such a set rather than spending way too much for the latest technology. The bottom line is that you simply can't buy a golf game. A smooth swing, straight shots, and consistently contacting the ball is what you are looking for.

I agree 110% with GDixon...don't get suckered into the fancy looking, fancy terminology of the latest and greatest clubs. I'm a beginner too, and I have a basic, slightly above starter, set of clubs. Cost about $300 for the whole set. When I travel and play at some of these clubs, I always rent a set of their clubs, which usually are close to the top of the line clubs..ie..graphite shafts, lite weight, super-smacker-aroozies....and I have a horrible time with them. I play with my basic, steel shaft, heavy headed clubs at home, and have a much better game. The trick, for me anyway, is in the weight of the club's head. Since my swing is an art of science "for ALL the wrong reasons", the heavier weighted club heads allows the club to swing itself, which allows me to just focus on the technique and not worry about the power. A good example would be to swing a stick that has a heavy rock on the end, versus swinging a plastic rod with a pebble on the end. My goal is to hit it straight. Once I've figured out how to do that consistantly, then I'll move up the ladder in club technology. Heavy headed, stiff shafted clubs are great for beginners.

When I have to rent, I always ask for a "hybrid", which is a funky club that looks like a driver, but acts like an iron. I like it simply because it's usually the heaviest headed club they have. For me, the 7 iron is the most forgiving and easiest club to hit with. I always seem to hit my best shots with it. Lower down the scale, the more funky the shots become. Higher up the scale, the more acreage I seem to sling down the fairway.

If all else fails, just remeber to roll your right hand over the top of the club's handle, and keep that arm pretty stiff "I'm right handed". For me, the more I roll my hand to the top of the club, the straighter the ball goes.

And don't forget that magical little book! Dicks might have it. If not, as with every !Removed!'s Sporting Goods store in america, there is surely to be a Borders or Barnes & Noble bookstore near by. They tend to flock together. Below is the official website for the book... It's an amazing little gem!

http://www.thegolfinstructor.ie/

Got my clubs tonight @ Dicks: http://www.squaretwo.com/sites/courses/vie...&page=33176

Hopefully I can get the fitting scheduled this weekend.

Well, now you are ready to do some serious golfing. Very nice set. It is about time that manufacturers build clubs to perform for an amateur woman's game.

My first 1/2 hour lesson is Monday night. Ugh...

The big news is that my hubby, who has not really expressed an interest in golf, wants to play. It was kind of an expensive weekend... :(

My first 1/2 hour lesson is Monday night. Ugh...

The big news is that my hubby, who has not really expressed an interest in golf, wants to play. It was kind of an expensive weekend... :(

Ha!!! The expense has only just begun.

Now that your husband is interested, vacations can be planned around golf. Resorts, golfing packages, green fees, more lessons, and the host of other expenses on the periphery will creep into the picture. Then you'll convince yourselves that if you only had a "XXXX" driver then every shot would be right down the middle. A "YYYY" putter will sink those pesky 5 footers each time. A "ZZZZ" sand wedge will put the ball right next to the hole. Might as well start looking for a second mortgage now while the interest rates are down.

Lessons should be looked at more positively than an "Ugh". Now that you are in the dark swamp it is wise to seek a path to the light. As Buddha pointed out, "When the student emerges, it is then that the teacher shall appear".

Oh, and expect to have sore muscles. New ones that have not been used for some time will suddenly be barking. Take an Advil and get out to the range anyway. :lol:

At least you have scenic countryside in which to stroll around in NE, Ohio - lots of trees for the golf ball to seek. I'm originally from just across the border in NW, PA. Beautiful country when the weather cooperates.

Rya, do you have a backyard area? If so, Dicks' has a "practice net" on sale for about 40 bucks this week. I'm hoping to get one this weekend. I've seen them before, and they're great! It's a big safety net that you hit into. You guys could practice your swings in the comfort of your back yard!

Rya, do you have a backyard area? If so, Dicks' has a "practice net" on sale for about 40 bucks this week. I'm hoping to get one this weekend. I've seen them before, and they're great! It's a big safety net that you hit into. You guys could practice your swings in the comfort of your back yard!

And then you need the mat to hit off of or you'll need to change the grass to a Bermuda Hybrid. You can get away with an old rug or piece of carpet, but it has to be flat and on something firm also. And then you may want to get the automatic rubber tee so you don't have to continually chase that around. And also you'll need to get the gravity feed ball re-tee machine so you don't wear yourself out or hurt yourself re-teeing everytime. Oh, and you should take a good series of lessons first so you don't just practice hitting the ball incorrectly and just reinforcing a bunch of bad habits. So, let's see, 40 bucks for the net, not bad! :lol:

you'll need to change the grass to a Bermuda Hybrid.

I'll let my hubby know that he needs go change the grass in th back yard. That's probably the best idea. But then he'll need to do the front & sides. Maybe he could plant bushes that grow really tall that we could hit into. Then we won't need the net. Yeahhhhhh.... I think that will work.

Oh, and you should take a good series of lessons first so you don't just practice hitting the ball incorrectly and just reinforcing a bunch of bad habits.

I had my first lesson. He made several small adjustments to my grip & posture. He video taped me & showed me my swing on the computer. Eeks!! My biggest problem is letting go of the death grip and staying relaxed.

you'll need to change the grass to a Bermuda Hybrid.

I'll let my hubby know that he needs go change the grass in th back yard. That's probably the best idea. But then he'll need to do the front & sides. Maybe he could plant bushes that grow really tall that we could hit into. Then we won't need the net. Yeahhhhhh.... I think that will work.

Oh, and you should take a good series of lessons first so you don't just practice hitting the ball incorrectly and just reinforcing a bunch of bad habits.

I had my first lesson. He made several small adjustments to my grip & posture. He video taped me & showed me my swing on the computer. Eeks!! My biggest problem is letting go of the death grip and staying relaxed.

Sounds like a good first lesson. The suggestions could be applied to many of life's happenings as well. ;)

Golf!

Doesn't anyone shoot sporting clays anymore? ;-)

Take it from me...get yourself a good-fitting shotgun, take a lesson or two and go shoot a round of clays. Much more addicting than golf, and you can still ride in a cart and hang around the guys...one down side, no alcohol during the round. It's a sacrifice I'm more than willing to make!

If you're around Va, mail me and I'll take you out for a round. Costs are about the same as golf.

Ben

Golf!

Doesn't anyone shoot sporting clays anymore? ;-)

Take it from me...get yourself a good-fitting shotgun, take a lesson or two and go shoot a round of clays. Much more addicting than golf, and you can still ride in a cart and hang around the guys...one down side, no alcohol during the round. It's a sacrifice I'm more than willing to make!

If you're around Va, mail me and I'll take you out for a round. Costs are about the same as golf.

Ben

Start a new thread devoted to the subject. I used to shoot sporting clays, skeet, and trap, occasionally competitively, so there may be others on this site with an interest.

It got too expensive and didn't involve as much exercise as golf and upland hunting. Now there are wads, powder, once-fired AAs, and a couple of reloaders in my garage rafters. Many things for the other shooting sports as well. The initial investment of a quality O/U and all of the reloading stuff is considerably more expensive than golf.

Women do shoot, some very well, but it is an entirely different social situation than golf. Beer drinking and cliques of shooters are quite common. Additionally, it would be rare in a corporate board meeting to advocate a friendly round of sporting clays vs. a friendly round of golf.

Smooth.... ever know anyone who worked at the Disney Institute?? My instructor was in your area about as the head golf instructor at the WDW Institute from 1998-2001. Kinda been a long time.... so maybe not.

Smooth.... ever know anyone who worked at the Disney Institute?? My instructor was in your area about as the head golf instructor at the WDW Institute from 1998-2001. Kinda been a long time.... so maybe not.

No, sorry........

So how is the golf thing going?

Rya,

How about starting a new thread on this issue. Something like "Rya's big golf adventure" or your choice. The old tread just doesn't go with your recent experiences.

After all of this build-up the big golfing day should be approaching. Keep the updates coming. Pulling your clubs out of a Lexus should start the testosterone battle with your playing partners right in the parking lot.

Rya,

How about starting a new thread on this issue. Something like "Rya's big golf adventure" or your choice. The old tread just doesn't go with your recent experiences.

After all of this build-up the big golfing day should be approaching. Keep the updates coming. Pulling your clubs out of a Lexus should start the testosterone battle with your playing partners right in the parking lot.

Last post..... then I'll start a new thread.

I'm actually not playing until 7/24.... I'm kind of a planner so I have plenty of time to practice.

The Lexus won't help..... I'm flying to Harrisburg, PA. It's a 5+ hour drive from where I live & my boss found plane tickets for less than the cost of gas round trip. This is not going to be fun schleping clubs, suitcase & my laptop to the airport & back. Then in Harrisburg, I have to schlep to the hotel - the Big Boss doesn't get in until 6 hours after me & he'll be renting the car. Ugh..... :(

• 1 month later...

Hi All!

Just a quick update....

I had the big outing on 7/24 at the Hershey Country Club - West Course. I didn't play the whole round, but I had a lot of great drives. I have much work to do to get better, but I'm off to a great start.

Thanks to all with your advise and tips!