De-badging A Lexus

I am curious about possibly removing the gold Lexus insignias from the trunk lid of my '03 GS300.

Someone told me these are put on with adhesive and are in fact, removable without leaving damage or holes to be filled. Does anyone know if this is correct, or has anyone any experience of advice about this?

Dennis

Myself and a bunch of others answered a question like this a few weeks ago. Try looking back for it.

Anyway, my take on it was a hair dryer and then lighter fluid/"goo gone" for whatever residue is left. I don't think there were many other opinions on it, but like I say, check the old thread.

Good luck.

Yep sawing with the dental floss works great. heating with a heat gun or hairdryer first works best.

There are no holes in the "Lexus" or "GS400" badges, but there are two holes behind the "L" badge.

• 3 months later...

I dont understand why people want to de-badge their cars. Maybe a Honda, but a Lexus?? Is there something unattractive about the lexus name and logo being on your car? Gold emblems look good on white. I like it, lets the clueless people know what I drive.

I de-bagged mine for three reasons. 1) The kids around here like to de-bagge them for you. They

usually use a butter knife or screw driver. Not pretty. They totally hosed my neighbors Porsche. 2) Mine had the *BLEEP*ty looking "Gold Package" on it. Nothing makes a car look cheaper then to make the badges gold (my opinion). 3) No wax build up around the badges. I've been doing it for about 25 years now on all my cars, just the way I prefer it, Lexus to Honda, even My Chevy Tahoe. It looks much, much better with them gone I think. I have a 1998 GS300. All came off w/ no problem, no holes.

Definiteley your opinion LuckenGS. I happen to think it looks Bleept*y w/out the badges, thats just my opinion. Heres a pic, I think the gold looks much better than the silver on white and black GS'. 99.9% of the cars out there have badges on it, so I know im not alone. It just makes no sense unless you're embarassed to let people know you have a Lexus or you live in a neighborhood were people steal them. If I saw a car without badges, Id assume they were stolen and the owner hasnt bothered to replace them yet.

post-1-1071206188.jpg

Definiteley your opinion LuckenGS. I happen to think it looks Bleept*y w/out the badges, thats just my opinion. Heres a pic, I think the gold looks much better than the silver on white and black GS'. 99.9% of the cars out there have badges on it, so I know im not alone. It just makes no sense unless you're embarassed to let people know you have a Lexus or you live in a neighborhood were people steal them. If I saw a car without badges, Id assume they were stolen and the owner hasnt bothered to replace them yet.

have you seen the hack jobs those kids leave, black glue and chips is what you get, sometimes dents, i wash Lexus' customer cars on saturdays, and let me tell you, some of the cars arent pretty, in regards to the jacked emblems. but a few have em properly removed and they look very slick. even just leaving the L in the middle would look nice, IMO. I think the dark chrome is the nicest for the emblems, on white, black or red.

I have a question, who buys a Lexus without a garage? Mine is never left anywhere that anyone can mess with it, but thats just me and my pickiness. Doesn't matter to me badgeless vs not. But if ur reason is cause you are afraid of someone stealing ur emblems, which I know does happen from time to time. You shouldn't own a lexus if you have to worry about what someone will do it, I love my car too much and I would worry all the time, just wouldn't be worth it to me to have to stress 24/7 about my car. IMO

KJ

It all depends, this one guy that came in on saturday, said that his wife took the rx 330 out to get groceries saturday morning, she came back to the car and the badges were gone, went home, gave him the keys and came in for a wash.

Another is actually a close friend of mine. Shes has an xterra, but her sis took it out for the day, so she took her moms rx 300, went to the park and ride with it, came back after a few hours and they were all gone. that was the last time they ever took their lexus to the park and ride.

and some people just have like 3 lexus', one Dr has a LX, an SC 430 and an RX 300, so i can imagine that maybe one has to stay outside.

Our GS always gets the garage, unless it comes home very late and the QX4 takes the garage. but we live in suburbian area, and its so new, no punks know where it is.

You know what'll get you though, they charge you customers soooooo much for those badges, something like 90(cnd) bones for the L. thats like a 600% mark up from what i get em at.....15 bucks :blink: . now dont tell anyone i told you, but get to know your saturday car washer and maybe he'll hook you up if you ever need one.

I do a lot of work with 3M, they have a double backed tape that should work fine for putting them back on. Make sure it is outdoor & waterproof. Use blue painters masking tape to run an alignment "line" to get them on straight. Put the blue tape (about a one foot piece) so you can stand back from a distance and see that it looks straight. Then double back the badge and "set" it on the tape line.

:o Just a note for those stealing emblem punks..... Welcome to .40 Smith ! We shoot em in our state! ;) I am parking out front an waiting for the moment! The L is nice, but it all depends on your ride and how you want it ?! :rolleyes:

ok to the person who asked who buys a lexus without a garage the answer is I DO! i have a 95 SC300 that i have owned for a week today...having worked for lexus for a while now i got jelous and wanted one rather badly...and i have to say i absolutely love it....anyway to answer the other question of how the dealer gets 600 bucks for the golding job..heh it's hard to beleive but the never take the eblem off the car...in most cases anyway....they just put their little machine on it and badda boom it's gold about 3mins later....kinda cool huh....now as far as remounting them goes...heh i haven't got a clue...we send that to a body shop.

Nothing? Some areas of the city you cant have one for space reasons. Some folks live in a fenced security complex. I have a garage that fit's 3 cars....special eh! Well, my baby gets the best spot next to the vac, cleaners and wash area just in the event it get's dirty! I do not have a Lexus emblem a one. I even shaved the inner tail lights. I added the Japan name for the car ( Aristo ) in the center just below the Junction Produce emblem form Japan ( where the L was ). I like to keep people asking ( what kind of car is that) But....I have custom painted tribals in two tone, lowered it, added turbo, rear end, rims tires, painted the insides to match, Super AFC, no cats, custom deck, speakers and am looking to re-leather the seats two toned silver and black soon. The body kit is from MAC ( Japanese item ) and with turbo of course you need some big pipes and muffs.....The non fleshy ones guys! So..... Most folks know the look of the car, do what makes it your ride! who cares what the dude next door is doing. NO HOLES are in the emblems for sure......People at all levels are here posting. Each has their ideas. :D

• 3 weeks later...