What Code Reader For A 97 Ls400?

Dr. Car

Hi, this is my first post. What code reader can you recommend for a 97 (OBD II 1UZ-FE) LS400? Where do you recommend buying it? And where does it plug into the car?

Here's what leads me to ask... I tried a DIY spark plug & wire change on my 97 LS400 and I did something wrong. I'm getting a CEL and the car isn't running right - some hesitation and rumbling at idle and detonation under acceleration. Rather than redo the whole job and maybe still not get it right, I figure it would be good to buy a code reader and try to pinpoint the problem. I have a second car I can drive in the meantime. In case you're wondering, I'm a Terrible mechanic, but I think it's virtuous to DIY so I like to try with my cars - and usually I successfully complete regular maintenance tasks. Somehow I screwed this one up.

Thanks,

- Ted

Hi, this is my first post. What code reader can you recommend for a 97 (OBD II 1UZ-FE) LS400? Where do you recommend buying it? And where does it plug into the car?

Here's what leads me to ask... I tried a DIY spark plug & wire change on my 97 LS400 and I did something wrong. I'm getting a CEL and the car isn't running right - some hesitation and rumbling at idle and detonation under acceleration. Rather than redo the whole job and maybe still not get it right, I figure it would be good to buy a code reader and try to pinpoint the problem. I have a second car I can drive in the meantime. In case you're wondering, I'm a Terrible mechanic, but I think it's virtuous to DIY so I like to try with my cars - and usually I successfully complete regular maintenance tasks. Somehow I screwed this one up.

Thanks,

- Ted

Hi Ted,

I would check all the connections one more time. Make sure you don't pinch the wires when putting the cover back on. It wouldn't hurt to inspect coils.

JPI

Sorry cannot help with the reader but this link may help with the codes you retrive.

http://www.troublecodes.net/Lexus/

Cheers.

Thanks, Steve, I think that link will be a great help. Absent some specific advice, I'll pick out a Toyota compatible OBD-II code reader and I should be able to figure out what ails my car.

If you take your car to your local AutoZone or Advance Auto Parts store they can hook up their code reader and pull the code for you. Doesn't cost anything.

Sorry cannot help with the reader but this link may help with the codes you retrive.

http://www.troublecodes.net/Lexus/

Cheers.

Thanks, Steve, I think that link will be a great help. Absent some specific advice, I'll pick out a Toyota compatible OBD-II code reader and I should be able to figure out what ails my car.

If you take your car to your local AutoZone or Advance Auto Parts store they can hook up their code reader and pull the code for you. Doesn't cost anything.

Well I did just that and got the code. It's P0340, "CMP Circuit Malfunction" or "Camshaft Position Sensor A - Bank 1." I looked at the wiring for the camshaft position sensor on the bank of the V8, and found that it's something I definitely touched as I was replacing the spark plug wire set. As I felt the wiring, its insulating rubber cover fell off in my hands, all cracked and worn out from age. I figure a failure in this wiring is causing an erratic signal to the engine computer, causing the car to run rough and idle erratically. It's about a $100 part, but I'm a lousy mechanic and without a repair guide I may not try to fix this myself. Unfortunately my local trusted mechanic retired and I don't know where to take it.