High Noise Levels Gs300

Hi All,

I am a new member and have a problem with my 2005 Lexus GS300. Last month I bought a gorgeous Lexus GS300 sedan.

It had only approx. 15000 miles on it and was in pristine shape. Everything works fine. I was enamored with the appointments and the great attention to detail Lexus put into the vehicle. But I do have a problem. It is somewhat noisy while driving on the highway. The noise seems much more apparent while on concrete or on less than perfect roadways. Breaks in the roadway are easily transmitted to the interior and sometimes make it difficult to listen to the radio or have a conversation. Sometimes a low frequency rumble accompanies the road noise further aggravating the noise. At times it becomes overwhelming. The tires are Goodyear Eagle GT + 4 225/55R16 all season tires and I think they are the original tires( there is a new one in the trunk). There seems to be lots of tread left on the tires and no unusual wear is apparent. Tires are inflated according to Lexus(32 PSI) and maintained there. The tires have been inspected for damage also. I had Lexus check the car's suspension and tires and shocks as well as to listen to the noises mentioned earlier. Their response is: no problem found. Alignment was also checked. No problem. I have driven the car 1300 miles so far and wish there was something I could do to block out the noise levels. Any suggestions?

Hi All,

I am a new member and have a problem with my 2005 Lexus GS300. Last month I bought a gorgeous Lexus GS300 sedan.

It had only approx. 15000 miles on it and was in pristine shape. Everything works fine. I was enamored with the appointments and the great attention to detail Lexus put into the vehicle. But I do have a problem. It is somewhat noisy while driving on the highway. The noise seems much more apparent while on concrete or on less than perfect roadways. Breaks in the roadway are easily transmitted to the interior and sometimes make it difficult to listen to the radio or have a conversation. Sometimes a low frequency rumble accompanies the road noise further aggravating the noise. At times it becomes overwhelming. The tires are Goodyear Eagle GT + 4 225/55R16 all season tires and I think they are the original tires( there is a new one in the trunk). There seems to be lots of tread left on the tires and no unusual wear is apparent. Tires are inflated according to Lexus(32 PSI) and maintained there. The tires have been inspected for damage also. I had Lexus check the car's suspension and tires and shocks as well as to listen to the noises mentioned earlier. Their response is: no problem found. Alignment was also checked. No problem. I have driven the car 1300 miles so far and wish there was something I could do to block out the noise levels. Any suggestions?

It's the tires.

Got to be the tires. GS's aren't the quietest cars on the road and definitely not the quietest Lexus model but should be relatively "serene" on the highway. "Sounds" like those Goodyears need to go. For an inexpensive alternative try Avon or Kumho. They won't last quite as long but they are quiet and affordable.

Got to be the tires. GS's aren't the quietest cars on the road and definitely not the quietest Lexus model but should be relatively "serene" on the highway. "Sounds" like those Goodyears need to go. For an inexpensive alternative try Avon or Kumho. They won't last quite as long but they are quiet and affordable.

I have been doing some research on getting new tires and I've heard from a couple of sources about both the Avons and Kumho. A friend at work mentioned Kumho tires. It seems strange that Lexus would put such a noisy tire on the GS. Thanks for your advice.

• 1 year later...
Hi All,

Hi All,

I HAVE A 2006 GS300 AND HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM AND WHEN I WENT TO THE DEALER THEY CHECKED MY CAR OUT AND SAID THEY COULDN'T ALIGN THE CAR AND IT WAS COMMON FOR THESE CARS TO WEAR THE INSIDES OUT AND CUP THE TIRES THAT IS WHY THEY MAKE SUCH ROAD NOISE. I AM GOING TO PUSH THE LEMON LAW AND TRY TO GET THEM TO BUY THIS CAR BACK FROM ME. I BOUGHT IT NEW FOR 45,000 AND HAVE PUT 2 SETS FO TIRES ON IT IN LESS THAT 30,000. MILES DUE TO NOISE. CALL LEXUS AND PUSH BACK, IF WE GET ENOUGH PEOPLE ON THERE BACK THEY WILL HAVE TO DO SOMETHING!! BBB IS MY NEST STOP IF THIS DOESN'T WORK.

THANKS,

RON

• 2 weeks later...

I've experienced the same thing on 18' staggered. It's probably a combination of a few things. First, if the alignment set to toe in will cause additional strain on the suspension and thus give you road noise.

Another factor to review is what kind of shape are your sway bars bushings in? For that matter, the bearings, upper and lower control arms (and bearings)? Again, a big area or road noise transfer and there are plenty ot ways to check those in your driveway.

Last point, it most likely is the tires. If you read reviews for this tire on www.tirerack.com, www.1010tires.com, etc. they rate pretty low in comparison to other available tires. My suggestion is to move to a more aggresive, lower profile tire but in the touring section. Something like the Toyo Versado, General Altimax HP, or the Goodyear Eagle ResponsEdge. Any of those tires will perform well for you in the noise arena.