Tire Noise

I have a 02' GS430. It's equiped with the optional 17" wheels. The original tires had a loud roar and after they were worn out, I replaced them with a set of Bridgestone Protenza tires. They were initially better, however, as the tire have worn (5000 miles) they have developed the same roar. I'm wondering if anyone has experience using different tires such as tires with a taller side wall (250/255) or something that's not Z rated. I love the car, but I'm tired of mu Lexus sounding like a 4X4.

I have 17 inch Lexus wheels and I have not had that problem. I use Continental Extreme Contact P235/45R17. If you hear noise without any bad tire wear (indicating a alignment problem) then there is one thing you might want to try. Loosen the lugnuts and retighten to the correct torque by hand. The dealer or tire shops over tighten with the impact wrenches. Sounds weird, but it worked for me on an Acura, because it allows some give and take that limits the road noise/vibration. The other thing to realize is 17 inch wheels/tires have a very small sidewall, so you will hear more road noise (which you know I think). Go to tirerack.com and look at your tires vs. other brands...maybe your tires are known to be loud? Also, go to 1010tires.com and look at the tire calculator, it will tell you if you can change tire sizes. I would not do that if I were you, plus I don't think you could make it fit either. Best of luck!! B)

I just put a set of Yokohama YK420's on my SC300- 225 55 16's and the reduction in tire noise was remarkable- AA traction rating and 420 tire wear rating-A temp rating- not for racing but I love mine- reasonably priced too.($116ea)

Toyota(a.k.a. Lexus) is always real good about fixing the problem at hand, especially if its under warranty. My suggestion would be to take it to a dealer and tell them to fix it. I usually try to be really nice to the service advisor, and try to kiss his butt a little. You also have to be stern about the problem and tell them it's unacceptable for it to go on. The dealer is usually happy to fix it because it costs them nothing if its under warranty.

My GS is out of warranty and they have fixed several things after it ran out. They recently replaced a bent rim at no charge. I have 60,000 miles on my car. I always try to throw in that I am looking to buy one of their new cars. Maybe a GX would be good bait.

Now, when I go in, they work with me and take care of a lot of stuff for free.

Good Luck.