* Check Out My New White Led Center Console Conversion

Got pretty much everything converted to white from green through LEDmod.com

Also all the interior lighting has been change to super bright white LED

My car was the guinea pig but it turned out great....

I left my car over the weekend and not it feels like totally different car...

Most of all the !Removed! green colors are gone.....

Only green color that is left are steering wheel control, window control, TRC/ETC control

Lots of picture can be found here...

http://store.ledmod.com/index.php?main_pag...;products_id=45

Lexus_IS2_LEDConv04.jpg

Can you adjust the brightness?

It works just like the stock green....

It's slight brighter then !Removed! green color

Sorry if I sound stupid but why on earth would you do something like that ?

I suppose each to their own

Do you really like the green color that doesn't even match your nice white LED light on gauge cluster??

I rather have it matched then have white here and green there etc...

Why on earth wouldn't you do that?? it matches very nice now??

I've got like white LED every where, inside and out....

Hi Sean

To be perfectly honest I havn't given it much thought.I will study the lights when I drive later today .I am not knocking what you have done I just feel I have better things to spend my money on .

Don't forget I stay in the !Removed! end of the world and to get anything imported costs a fortune .When I watch American shows on Discovery channel I get very upset when I see how easy it is to get spars etc for cars and bikes

Enjoy your lights

First of all, good for you because you like it. Second, the I never liked that faded green that Lexus did; it's terrible, it's just makes the car interior look like it's 20 years old. Should they made brighter and easy to see it'd be alright. There are a couple of these lights that you hardly see them in the night. However, I must say, white is not a suitable color for this car.

I think it looks awsome. Great job!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm looking to do the same in my IS 300. I also converted all the courtesy lights to LED's. For the dome light I used a 12 bulb white LED and I used 6 bulb LED's over the plate. What a difference they make.

Hi Sean

To be perfectly honest I havn't given it much thought.I will study the lights when I drive later today .I am not knocking what you have done I just feel I have better things to spend my money on .

Don't forget I stay in the !Removed! end of the world and to get anything imported costs a fortune .When I watch American shows on Discovery channel I get very upset when I see how easy it is to get spars etc for cars and bikes

Enjoy your lights

I guess most people just go on without paying attention, since most of them don't know about this kind of modification

I'm very into LED lights....

Those are still show... parts aren't that easy to get hold of.... :D

They made it look so easy....

First of all, good for you because you like it. Second, the I never liked that faded green that Lexus did; it's terrible, it's just makes the car interior look like it's 20 years old. Should they made brighter and easy to see it'd be alright. There are a couple of these lights that you hardly see them in the night. However, I must say, white is not a suitable color for this car.

If the white isn't the suitable color then, which color does it suits??

Many of the Lexus and Toyota are switching to white gauges.... and it looks nice and clean....

It's getting pretty popular now is the "VIP Style"

It's pretty common thing in California, that you fix up Lexury cars... most of them look for simple and clean look..

It looks good, I like the way the white matches the instrument needles. I wouldn't call the green lights "!Removed!," fuschia yeah, green no.

Why I don't like green??

I've used to own many of the older Toyota cars and they always been green.... also many cheap cars uses green....

I think it looks awsome. Great job!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm looking to do the same in my IS 300. I also converted all the courtesy lights to LED's. For the dome light I used a 12 bulb white LED and I used 6 bulb LED's over the plate. What a difference they make.

Mine is all high power stuff, best of the best.... brightest in the market...

LEDmod.com has so much selection and from basic LED to very high end stuff... like 36 LED for the rear dome light....

I like it, and am curious as to how much all that cost ya, PM me. Did you do the side mirror lights too?? I think those should definitely have been white LEDs from the start at the very least. I mean the plate at the back has em.

Are the LED's plug and play replacements for the regular bulbs?

Most of the bulbs are plug and play, but for the center console, push start button, all the green lights on the dash needs to be custom installed... using soldering iron....

I like it, and am curious as to how much all that cost ya, PM me. Did you do the side mirror lights too?? I think those should definitely have been white LEDs from the start at the very least. I mean the plate at the back has em.

I've tried using LED bulb on the side mirror lights, but it was dim... since LED bulbs direction light, it doesn't have much lights going to the side...

So LEDmod.com custom made the circuit board with 9 high power LED and it's bright as hell.... as you can see from picture.. even with HID headlight, you can clearly see the side mirror light.....

I was the first guinea pig, so I've got a hella of a deal.....

What ever lighting on the dash is paint in the !Removed!.... it's alot of labor... probably like 10 hours of labor to convert all the green lights to white....

Most of the bulbs are plug and play, but for the center console, push start button, all the green lights on the dash needs to be custom installed... using soldering iron....

So that leaves the two dome lights that are plug and play... I guess that voids some warranty.

Yeah, definately no warranty on the dash lights any more, but if they used the proper inline resistors and so forth, there shouldn't be a problem. I know that there have been alot of issues with LED burn out's in the after market conversions. Apparently you need a different amount of resistance for each different color. So red LED's may take more resistance than white LED's. That's mostly why I have been waiting to do it. I haven't found what that amount is for white LED's yet. For anyone who want's to convert their own, you can go to :http://www.superbrightleds.com/mini-wedge.html and buy the LED's yourself. One of the pages there has all the conversion recommendations. Using Superbright LED's, I found that 4 bulb is the smallest you probably want to go. They have universal conversion LED kits that will convert any style bulb to an LED in any size you want also. To do my dome light, tag light, glove box, map lights and all the LED bulbs for the dash cost me around 50 bucks.

Got pretty much everything converted to white from green through LEDmod.com

Also all the interior lighting has been change to super bright white LED

My car was the guinea pig but it turned out great....

I left my car over the weekend and not it feels like totally different car...

Most of all the !Removed! green colors are gone.....

Only green color that is left are steering wheel control, window control, TRC/ETC control

Lots of picture can be found here...

http://store.ledmod.com/index.php?main_pag...;products_id=45

Lexus_IS2_LEDConv04.jpg

Nice look for the car,,i wanted to know how much did it cost you, was it merly just buying led bulbs and changing them or other steps. I have a Ls400 1990 and i love her, but i would like to change th console area radio likes etc to white. cause the speed op and gas all that it white currently

So that leaves the two dome lights that are plug and play... I guess that voids some warranty.

Any parts that you modify or change them out will voide the warranty....

What could it go wrong with change the light bulb with LED bulb.. other then blowing a fuse...

Yeah, definately no warranty on the dash lights any more, but if they used the proper inline resistors and so forth, there shouldn't be a problem. I know that there have been alot of issues with LED burn out's in the after market conversions. Apparently you need a different amount of resistance for each different color. So red LED's may take more resistance than white LED's. That's mostly why I have been waiting to do it. I haven't found what that amount is for white LED's yet. For anyone who want's to convert their own, you can go to :http://www.superbrightleds.com/mini-wedge.html and buy the LED's yourself. One of the pages there has all the conversion recommendations. Using Superbright LED's, I found that 4 bulb is the smallest you probably want to go. They have universal conversion LED kits that will convert any style bulb to an LED in any size you want also. To do my dome light, tag light, glove box, map lights and all the LED bulbs for the dash cost me around 50 bucks.

I know LEDmod.com has been doing this kind of work for like 4 years, so I trust him....

Specialize in Toyota and Scion cars... first time for Lexus IS, but results were great.....

I was told that red LED won't work well on IS center console, unless if you add some resistor or change out the resistor on the stock circuit board...

Blue and white would be just swapping them out on the stock...

I've tried all the superbrightleds.com stuff... some of the LED bulb starts to flicker over time and most of them aren't that bright....

He hooked me up with all the new LED bulbs, and it is brighter then all of the bulb I used to have.....

I love the idea. I wouldnt have chosen bright wite, but maybe a blue-ish light. I hate the green as well. dare i say it, it does look "!Removed!".

Thats why i like the RX which has a blue-ish green. lol

It's just white... not bright white....

I like the idea of matching color.... since we have white gauge cluster, why not match it to that...

I try to get my other friend to do blue.....

Any parts that you modify or change them out will voide the warranty....

What could it go wrong with change the light bulb with LED bulb.. other then blowing a fuse...

I know LEDmod.com has been doing this kind of work for like 4 years, so I trust him....

Specialize in Toyota and Scion cars... first time for Lexus IS, but results were great.....

I was told that red LED won't work well on IS center console, unless if you add some resistor or change out the resistor on the stock circuit board...

Blue and white would be just swapping them out on the stock...

I've tried all the superbrightleds.com stuff... some of the LED bulb starts to flicker over time and most of them aren't that bright....

He hooked me up with all the new LED bulbs, and it is brighter then all of the bulb I used to have.....

So I guess you have me curious now. You did an LED dashlight conversion before?

I have been in the biz for quite some time, so what new technology are they using on the best of the best LED's? I went to the LEDmod.com website and they are selling superbright LED's. You mean they don't use what they sell?

I have been in the biz for quite some time, so what new technology are they using on the best of the best LED's? I went to the LEDmod.com website and they are selling superbright LED's. You mean they don't use what they sell?

I've changed out the LED bulbs for like dome lights and parking lights etc.. before...

All the stuff on my car now is all new stuff... he haven't updated on his site....

He said it uses all high power SMD type LED... some are flux type.... that's all that I know....

He installs them at the local car meet recently and I see the big difference in brightness and better color output

I've changed out the LED bulbs for like dome lights and parking lights etc.. before...

All the stuff on my car now is all new stuff... he haven't updated on his site....

He said it uses all high power SMD type LED... some are flux type.... that's all that I know....

He installs them at the local car meet recently and I see the big difference in brightness and better color output

Oh, okay, they just made more knowledgeable decisions. An SMD LED is a surface mounted display LED, and the flux LED is the style they used in your dome light because it has a 90 degree light emission pattern. Then there is the super flux LED that has 120 degree light pattern.

I see the big difference in brightness and better color output

If you have white LED's there is bad news that comes with that. If you have true white or "super" white LED's, they produce an utraviolet light that causes photodegradation to the resin that makes up the LED, also, The "Stokes shift" is longer and requires more energy and hence is less efficient, and creates more heat than an RGB LED, which is how it creates a whiter, and brighter LED. That's why white LED's don't last that long. It has nothing to do with the "quality" of the LED. An RGB LED will last 3x's longer, and the new amber LED's will also. I have a feeling that is why Lexus used a color LED for those displays, as they are very inaccessable for replacement. The instrument cluster LED's are much easier to access and therefore they felt ok with using them there. But that is only an opinion. The only answer I know of that addresses this problem just came out, but it's not a true white LED. In fact it looks more like an incandescent light somewhere in the 3000-3500 K light spectrum range. ( which would have a faint yellowish to it.) But even so, the life span of a white LED or NUV LED, is in the practical range of 50,000 hours of continuos life, a little shorter in a car where voltage fluctuates and spikes. If you want to make your LED's worry free and also make all your other electronic equipment last longer, you might want to consider a Hyper voltage system. You can check it out for yourself.

My opinion???, still looks great, and I would do it anyway also. I just finished getting the right load resistance for the NUV LED's or white LED also. It's 3.2 volts. HHHHmmmmm, maybe in a few weeks....

• 2 weeks later...
Oh, okay, they just made more knowledgeable decisions. An SMD LED is a surface mounted display LED, and the flux LED is the style they used in your dome light because it has a 90 degree light emission pattern. Then there is the super flux LED that has 120 degree light pattern.
I see the big difference in brightness and better color output

If you have white LED's there is bad news that comes with that. If you have true white or "super" white LED's, they produce an utraviolet light that causes photodegradation to the resin that makes up the LED, also, The "Stokes shift" is longer and requires more energy and hence is less efficient, and creates more heat than an RGB LED, which is how it creates a whiter, and brighter LED. That's why white LED's don't last that long. It has nothing to do with the "quality" of the LED. An RGB LED will last 3x's longer, and the new amber LED's will also. I have a feeling that is why Lexus used a color LED for those displays, as they are very inaccessable for replacement. The instrument cluster LED's are much easier to access and therefore they felt ok with using them there. But that is only an opinion. The only answer I know of that addresses this problem just came out, but it's not a true white LED. In fact it looks more like an incandescent light somewhere in the 3000-3500 K light spectrum range. ( which would have a faint yellowish to it.) But even so, the life span of a white LED or NUV LED, is in the practical range of 50,000 hours of continuos life, a little shorter in a car where voltage fluctuates and spikes. If you want to make your LED's worry free and also make all your other electronic equipment last longer, you might want to consider a Hyper voltage system. You can check it out for yourself.

My opinion???, still looks great, and I would do it anyway also. I just finished getting the right load resistance for the NUV LED's or white LED also. It's 3.2 volts. HHHHmmmmm, maybe in a few weeks....

I've just talked with my friend...

3000-3500k would be more of yellow color.. not a warm white..

Warm white would be more around 4000-5000k....

He can get from warm white 4000-5000k 6000k-7000k cool white and like 8000k bluish white...

There is different color temperature for like white LED.... even though they have shorter life, it will out last the car.....

Many of the new white LED has improved alot.. so there is no need to worry over white LED...

Also many of the electronics on the car is voltage regulated and current regulated... the voltage spike has very little issue..

I've seen so many cars comes with white LED for the gauge cluster these days... Example like Toyota camry, Honda accord, civic... also new Scion xD comes withe white LED.....

So white LEDs no longer an issue with reliability...

He can get from warm white 4000-5000k 6000k-7000k cool white and like 8000k bluish white...

There is different color temperature for like white LED.... even though they have shorter life, it will out last the car.....

Many of the new white LED has improved alot.. so there is no need to worry over white LED...

Also many of the electronics on the car is voltage regulated and current regulated... the voltage spike has very little issue..

I've seen so many cars comes with white LED for the gauge cluster these days... Example like Toyota camry, Honda accord, civic... also new Scion xD comes withe white LED.....

So white LEDs no longer an issue with reliability...

I previously said :

The only answer I know of that addresses this problem just came out, but it's not a true white LED. In fact it looks more like an incandescent light somewhere in the 3000-3500 K light spectrum range. ( which would have a faint yellowish to it.)
Incandescent bulbs acheive "warm white" by having the glass housing coated in white. The actual light is still in the 3000-3500k range.

There is different color temperature for like white LED....

When sufficient voltage is applied to the chip across the leads of the LED, electrons can move easily in only one direction across the junction between the p and n regions. In the p region there are many more positive than negative charges. In the n region the electrons are more numerous than the positive electric charges. When a voltage is applied and the current starts to flow, electrons in the n region have sufficient energy to move across the junction into the p region. Once in the p region the electrons are immediately attracted to the positive charges due to the mutual Coulomb forces of attraction between opposite electric charges. When an electron moves sufficiently close to a positive charge in the p region, the two charges "re-combine".

Each time an electron recombines with a positive charge, electric potential energy is converted into electromagnetic energy. For each recombination of a negative and a positive charge, a quantum of electromagnetic energy is emitted in the form of a photon of light with a frequency characteristic of the semi-conductor material (usually a combination of the chemical elements gallium, arsenic and phosphorus). Only photons in a very narrow frequency range can be emitted by any material. LED's that emit different colors are made of different semi-conductor materials, and require different energies to light them.

Notice I said usually uses gallium, arsenic and phosphorus. The chemicals elements used are what determines the light frequency. As I don't know of any elements at this time that they are using to emit such a wide array of light spectrum as you had mentioned. ( 4000k-5000k and 6000k-7000k) Phillips is on the verge of being able to do that.Philips Lumileds has developed a new phosphor technology, Lumiramic, developed jointly by the company's Advanced Laboratories in San Jose and Philips Research in Europe. Luxeon products that use the new technology are expected in early 2008, and sampling programs will begin with customers in the lighting community in the fourth quarter of 2007.

Lumiramic phosphor technology enables targeted production of white LEDs to specific correlated color temperatures (CCT) on the black-body curve. This will result in high volume availability in the most desired color temperatures.

Lumileds says that by utilizing the new technology it may reduce the number of fine bins at a given CCT by 75% or more. This in turn should greatly simplify the efforts of the lighting community, which has asked the LED industry to reduce the variation in white LEDs and more effectively enable luminaire-to-luminaire consistency.

Lumiramic phosphor technology utilizes a ceramic phosphor plate in combination with the company's new Thin Film Flip Chip (TFFC) technology. The Lumiramic plates are being manufactured at Philips phosphor factory in Maarheeze, The Netherlands.

Unfortunately, this is all running behind schedule and the first LED's won't run until mid next year.

even though they have shorter life, it will out last the car.....

I agree 75% of the time. The production of white LED's is still not consistant enouph to make this a blanket statement.

They have only improved the color quality, and intensity. Therre is still inconsistancy from one LED to the next. That is why Phillips is working on it so hard now, and in the next few years we will begin to see more LED lighting in our lives. Think about it like this, an LED is approximately 200 x's more efficient than an incandescant light bulb, LED's have been around for 80+ years, yet, nobody has an LED lamp in their living room. WHY?

The LED uses 1.7 volts. Everything else in your car uses 12 volts. So, a .5 volt fluctuation is only a slight dip to those items but almost a third of the resistance for an LED.

I agree, but I also noted that the use of white LED's appears to be in the areas that can easily be accessed and changed. The gauge clusters can be done without removing the dash. The center console however is much more complicated to access. I also stated that this was an observation. I have no factual base for that.

Also, to sum this up, I also like the look of white LED's. I'm going to change mine over also. But as I am also about to put a supercharger and intercooler in my Lexus, I understand that the life of the motor may be shortened a bit, my fuel mileage will suffer, and it will be a little louder than stock. But 450 hp. is just to good to pass up. The price we pay for modifying. But we want we we like.

We're in this together brother. I feel ya. B)

Incandescent bulbs acheive "warm white" by having the glass housing coated in white. The actual light is still in the 3000-3500k range.

He is going by the BIN chart that manufacturer provides.... and they rates the color is that temp range... not comparing with incandescent lights... (which is different from LED color temp)

The LED uses 1.7 volts. Everything else in your car uses 12 volts. So, a .5 volt fluctuation is only a slight dip to those items but almost a third of the resistance for an LED.

Typical red, amber, older green uses 1.8-2.2V LED depends on the type of LED, leaded, SMD, PLCC etc....

Blue, white, newer green uses 2.8-3.2V

Each of the compoment in the car has it's own regulator to protect for voltage spikes... especially, guauge cluster, center console etc...

I agree, but I also noted that the use of white LED's appears to be in the areas that can easily be accessed and changed. The gauge clusters can be done without removing the dash. The center console however is much more complicated to access. I also stated that this was an observation. I have no factual base for that.

Center console is easy to take out.. I saw him pulled it out in couple of min.... I don't think ease of access to change them out would be an issues..

Also, to sum this up, I also like the look of white LED's. I'm going to change mine over also. But as I am also about to put a supercharger and intercooler in my Lexus, I understand that the life of the motor may be shortened a bit, my fuel mileage will suffer, and it will be a little louder than stock. But 450 hp. is just to good to pass up. The price we pay for modifying. But we want we we like.

We're in this together brother. I feel ya. B)

I think you are way over thinking yourself.... Many of the LEDs has been improved alot over the years... and I think that it can replace most of the lights in the househole and automotive....

Lexus LS already have the LED headlight it seems to be comparable to halogen or better... I don't think it can compete with HID yet...

I've replaced many of the lights around the house with LED bulbs...

Also there are so many different types of LED for each bulbs.. some works better then some worst... it all depends on the design of the LED bulbs...

My friend also showed me the actual 10w LED lit up.... those were like bliding bright... he said he can get 30 watt also.... but he said those needs pretty good size heat sink....

In my neighbor... they actually have LED street light.... it's not that bright, but it's solar powered.... for temporaty use.....

Most of the Traffic lights in Las Vegas is replaced by LED.... so LED is getting around....

I didn't know LED were around 80 year.... but the reason that many people don't use them is that.... first they don't know what LED is.... and second it's way too expensive compare to incandesent bulb..... comparing lumen/$$ to lumen/$$

I goto the car meet freqently and talk to many people and most of them don't know what LED is... there are few that knows but mostly LED for like simple parking lights and simple LED dome lights...