Method Of Changing Ahc Fluid

gage

i have a 2003 lx470 with 66k on it and am thinking about changing out the ahc and power steering fluids myself. i want to siphon out the reservoirs in the engine bay and add new fluid. i know this method won't totally replace the old fluid but it should take care of most of it. does anyone see any problems with this less than perfect plan?

i have a 2003 lx470 with 66k on it and am thinking about changing out the ahc and power steering fluids myself. i want to siphon out the reservoirs in the engine bay and add new fluid. i know this method won't totally replace the old fluid but it should take care of most of it. does anyone see any problems with this less than perfect plan?

Does it need to be switched out at 60K, or are you having problems? I am at 94K, and I dont think I got them replaced.

I think the AHC fluid absorbs moisture like brake fluid. At any rate, waiting too long could lead to the premature demise of the membranes in the damper globes ($2K to replace all 4).

There are two way to change the fluid:

1) Method 1: Siphon out most of the old fluid in the resevoir, dump in new fluid, then bleed each bleeder next to the globe plus the height bleeder under the DS rail. Careful since each corner will drop to the bumpstops as you relieve the AHC of pressure. Fluid is around $30 for a 2.5L can. Can't recall if you want the AHC initially in low or N (I'd guess low since it forces more fluid up to the resevoir).

2) Method 2: Drive to dealer, drink cappucinos, pay for 1 hr labor + fluid.:) Beats crushing your skull under the car when it suddenly drops!