Installation Of A A/c Condenser

ins0mnia

Does anybody have a write-up on how to remove and install a new condenser? Mine went bad and I ordered a new one and want to save the money of labor and do it myself. I'm pretty sure I have all the tools I just don't know how to do it. It seems like it might come off without having to remove the bumper but that's where the coolant reservoir sits ontop of it and I don't want to screw anything up.

I have a 2002 IS300 btw...

I'm not a mechanic but I've done it myself on my 01 IS300. You don't have to remove the bumper but You'll have to remove the radiator first to get to the condenser, the coolant reservoir and fans are attached to the radiator so just leave them on the radiator. Make sure you remove all the hoses that attached to the radiator and wires for the fans. You will loose all the freon for the air conditioning so good luck..

Alright, when I look under the hood, there is a rectangular reservoir ontop of the condenser which has two rubber pipes coming out from it. If I do what you said then I'll have to remove the two pipes, but won't that make the coolant pour out? Does anybody have a diagram or a set of instructions on how to do this?

Does anybody have a write-up on how to remove and install a new condenser? Mine went bad and I ordered a new one and want to save the money of labor and do it myself. I'm pretty sure I have all the tools I just don't know how to do it. It seems like it might come off without having to remove the bumper but that's where the coolant reservoir sits ontop of it and I don't want to screw anything up.

I have a 2002 IS300 btw...

Okay, here are the steps you'll need to replace the condenser. If your good with all of it, then ok.

1- You'll have to discharge the system first.

2- you will need to evac the system before you refill it with refrigerant also, any moisture at all in the system and you'll be replacing it all again shortly.

3- You'll need to remove the air filter housing.

4- Remove the radiator and protector covers.

5- Disconnect the refrigerant inlet and outlet lines from the condenser.

6- remove the accumulator brackets

7- remove the radiator brackets

8-Remove the side air deflectors from the condensor

9-You will need to put about 1 oz. refrigerant oil in the new condenser.<-----very important!!!!

10-use all new o-rings and coat them with refrigerant oil also.

11- when retightening the inlet and outlet lugs, make sure you go to exactly 71 in-lbs. To much and the tip will flare and leak, not enouph and the system will fail the pressure test and leak.

12- Now reverse all the removed components.

13- evac the system. When you get 26 inch Hg or more for 45 minutes, your ready.

14- leak test and recharge the system.

While you have the system open I would also replace the rest of the refrigerant oil also. Seeing as how your there anyway.

Okay, I got some more questions:

1. What is the difference between refrigerent oil, freon, and r134a?
  2. Can refrigerent oil be purchased at an Autozone, how much do I need, and how expensive is it?
  3. Do I need to buy new O-Rings? Are they at autozone? How Much Are They?
  4. If you look in the picture below, Does #1 have to be removed?
  5. In the picture below, if I disconnect #2,#3, and #4 will anything spill out?
  6. Should anything spill out of any of the hoses?
  7. Where are the O-rings located?
  8. Do I need to remove the bumper or anything?
  9. Do I need to discharge/evac the systen because the original condenser has some serious damage to it and anything that it was holding has probably already sprayed out...
  10. How do I discharge/evac the system?
  11. Would this be easier if I had the service manual and would anybody happen to have the PDF on how to change the condenser?

dscn0536lw8.th.jpg

also, here is the original picture if anybody wants to save it and draw some arrows for me

Okay, I got some more questions:
  1. What is the difference between refrigerent oil, freon, and r134a?
  2. Can refrigerent oil be purchased at an Autozone, how much do I need, and how expensive is it?
  3. Do I need to buy new O-Rings? Are they at autozone? How Much Are They?
  4. If you look in the picture below, Does #1 have to be removed?
  5. In the picture below, if I disconnect #2,#3, and #4 will anything spill out?
  6. Should anything spill out of any of the hoses?
  7. Where are the O-rings located?
  8. Do I need to remove the bumper or anything?
  9. Do I need to discharge/evac the systen because the original condenser has some serious damage to it and anything that it was holding has probably already sprayed out...
  10. How do I discharge/evac the system?
  11. Would this be easier if I had the service manual and would anybody happen to have the PDF on how to change the condenser?

dscn0536lw8.th.jpg

also, here is the original picture if anybody wants to save it and draw some arrows for me

What is the difference between refrigerent oil, freon, and r134a?

Refrigerant oil is used to lubricate the internals of the ac system. Freon is an organic compound refrigerant. R-134a is the type of refrigerant. For example R-14 is Carbon tetraflouride. R-22 is Chlorodifluoromethane, and r-134a is 1,1,2-tetrafluorethane.

Can refrigerent oil be purchased at an Autozone, how much do I need, and how expensive is it?

I'm pretty sure you can get it there, and no it's not very expensive. I would get around 12 oz. there is no oil measurement system for ac oil. (Like a dip stick.) So, keep a container with you so how ever much you pour into that container will be how much oil you need to put back in the system.

Do I need to buy new O-Rings? Are they at autozone? How Much Are They?

Yes. They should have a full o-ring replacement kit. cost will be nominal. 10-20 bucks.

If you look in the picture below, Does #1 have to be removed?

yes.

In the picture below, if I disconnect #2,#3, and #4 will anything spill out?

yes. you will have to drain the radiator first. Do this by removing the bottom feed hose and opening the radiator cap. There should also be a drain plug at the bottom of the radiator. Open that. Once the radiator is drained you will probably need to drain the reservoir, or simply plug the line to save that fluid if you like.

Do I need to remove the bumper or anything?

Yes and no.Removing it would make everything more accessable. If you need directions for that let me know, I have a seperate set of instructions for that. But no, it is possible to work around it.

Do I need to discharge/evac the systen because the original condenser has some serious damage to it and anything that it was holding has probably already sprayed out...

The ac system is a pressurized system. Simply opening the valve would be like puncturing a full spray can. Only this can would be 10x's larger. Discharging and evacuating the system are 2 different things. Discharging the system is removing the freon and decompressing the ac system. Evacuating the ac system is removing all the moisture in the system.

How do I discharge/evac the system?

Oh, I assumed you had the tools. If you don't, then this alone would blow the savings you would realize by doing it yourself. I use a Robinair charging station that costs $3,600.00 at the shop. The cheapest one I know of costs around 300 bucks. If you go to autozone they may have a 1-time use system that would cost less. But as for doing the evac. Forget it. there is no cheap evac systems. You could recharge without evacuating the system, but I wouldn't want you doing my ac then. That's a real risk.

Would this be easier if I had the service manual and would anybody happen to have the PDF on how to change the condenser?

Yes. I would get a repair manual for the IS 300 and read up on this first. Sorry, the only PDF I have is in my head. I would make sure your comfortable with all of this. If you feel like your getting in over your head,,,,,dude, take the condenser you bought and go to a real repair shop and have them swap it out for ya. It might be worth the money to stay away from that headache and hassle. that's just my advice. If you choose to do this, I'll be here to try and help you all I can.

Ermmmm, alright I'll probably just take it to the shop. How mouch the dealership cost to do it?

I don't know that you have to got to the dealership to have this done. I would go to reputable repair shop in your area and have them do it. It will probably cost a couple hundred or so. It's a 4 hour job. So it will be what ever they charge per hour.