Front Passenger Seat--2007

beaverdan

The front passenger seat does not have a height adjustment/base tilt like the driver so my wife does not feel that she is "safe" in her front seat. She does not feel that she is fully "seated" in the chair. When we drive she has her right hand clutched around the overhead handle and has three fingers of her left hand extended up against the dash...kinda looks like a water spider. I have been driving super cautious/slow and have looked at replacing the seat with a driver version, but am told that is not possible. Have looked at putting spacers under the front of the seat but she is not fond of that solution. I am thinking about trying to come up with a longer center arm but that will not be easy.

I have about 300 miles on the unit....I love it...she is not impressed. Any reasonable suggestions?

The front passenger seat does not have a height adjustment/base tilt like the driver so my wife does not feel that she is "safe" in her front seat. She does not feel that she is fully "seated" in the chair. When we drive she has her right hand clutched around the overhead handle and has three fingers of her left hand extended up against the dash...kinda looks like a water spider. I have been driving super cautious/slow and have looked at replacing the seat with a driver version, but am told that is not possible. Have looked at putting spacers under the front of the seat but she is not fond of that solution. I am thinking about trying to come up with a longer center arm but that will not be easy.

I have about 300 miles on the unit....I love it...she is not impressed. Any reasonable suggestions?

Never heard anyone complain about that before. Is she particularly short or something? I can't understand why she doesn't feel comfortable sitting back in the passemger seat.

Never heard anyone complain about that before. Is she particularly short or something? I can't understand why she doesn't feel comfortable sitting back in the passemger seat. Hard as it is to believe, she is comparing the seat comfort to our 2002 Eddy Bauer Explorer in which she felt more secure...it never came up as an issue before the new rig.

No, she is about 5'5, she just does not feel that the seat secures her from moving around in the seat. Thanks.

BTW: to the other reply, she always wears her seat belt.

Seriously, if she is wearing her seatbelt, how much can she move around in that seat. The passenger seat does not tilt like the driver seat, so she will not sink into the seat if thats what you are talking about. If she has her right hand clutched around the overhead handle and has three fingers of her left hand extended up against the dash while shes in the passenger seat, it might be just a form of protest against the lack of adjustment of the passenger seat, but by no mean will she fall out of the seat.

Sounds like you bought a car that your wife didn't want to begin with... I feel sorry for you, you'll never hear the end of it until you get rid of it LOL. Hopefully thats not the case Beaverdan, goodluck bud ;)

Maybe the wife wanted a sedan and you bought a truck. Making the passenger seat more adjustable will not solve the problem, she will just find something else to complain about.

Sounds like you bought a car that your wife didn't want to begin with... I feel sorry for you, you'll never hear the end of it until you get rid of it LOL. Hopefully thats not the case Beaverdan, goodluck bud ;)

I am not sure that I would argue with you at this point, and I shudder at the thought of getting rid of it....with 500 miles on it!! The truth of the matter is that she was concerned about the seat (front to back total movement that time) BEFORE we bought it, so we were a pen stroke away from buying a new Tahoe, when she said, lets go back and look at the Lexus and then bought it one hour later. So in essence she made the decision to buy the Lexus, not me. This new seat thing (no tilt) then came up on the first ride.... Thanks for the empathy! I think that I will just look out the left window when she is in the car! :cries:

• 4 weeks later...

I am not sure that I would argue with you at this point, and I shudder at the thought of getting rid of it....with 500 miles on it!! The truth of the matter is that she was concerned about the seat (front to back total movement that time) BEFORE we bought it, so we were a pen stroke away from buying a new Tahoe, when she said, lets go back and look at the Lexus and then bought it one hour later. So in essence she made the decision to buy the Lexus, not me. This new seat thing (no tilt) then came up on the first ride.... Thanks for the empathy! I think that I will just look out the left window when she is in the car! :cries:

My husband is very unhappy with the seats on our 2007 GX 470. He thinks that the seat is too short and doesn't give adequate support to his legs. He's not tall (5' 10") but he misses the longer seat on the 2003 LX 470 that we traded in. I'm only 5'4 so it suite me fine. I do miss my LX thought. I wish I had kept it.

Your husband does realize that the LX cost $20000 more, so a more comfortable is one of the benefit for that extra $20000. :)

Thanks - I'll have to remind him of that when he sends the car payment this month - The GX certainly is less $$ than the LX.

He drives a Mercedes S class so there's lots of leg support there.

No offense please, as I know this will offend enough people, but, to everyone that has "issues" coming up after they purchase their car: before I buy a car, particularly one that I will be committing to pay for for many months, I would have done a lot of research, touched it, smelled, drooled over it, sat in it, driven it, and everything I can think of except, that it belongs to me, and before singing my name over and over and over again on the dotted lines. I can understand if something breaks, or doesn't work right, but come on folks the car seat isn't comfortable? Does no one test drive a car anymore? I'm 6'6" and 215 lbs. so the size and comfort of a car is paramount to me. It strikes me as a HUGE suprise that someone would buy a car and realize that after driving a few miles they realize the car seat is too short, or doesn't adjust to the right position etc. Remember, NO COOLING OFF PERIOD is all over the paperwork everyone signs. Just my two cents folks. Again, no offense, but the truth is the truth.

• 3 weeks later...
No offense please, as I know this will offend enough people, but, to everyone that has "issues" coming up after they purchase their car: before I buy a car, particularly one that I will be committing to pay for for many months, I would have done a lot of research, touched it, smelled, drooled over it, sat in it, driven it, and everything I can think of except, that it belongs to me, and before singing my name over and over and over again on the dotted lines. I can understand if something breaks, or doesn't work right, but come on folks the car seat isn't comfortable? Does no one test drive a car anymore? I'm 6'6" and 215 lbs. so the size and comfort of a car is paramount to me. It strikes me as a HUGE suprise that someone would buy a car and realize that after driving a few miles they realize the car seat is too short, or doesn't adjust to the right position etc. Remember, NO COOLING OFF PERIOD is all over the paperwork everyone signs. Just my two cents folks. Again, no offense, but the truth is the truth.

Dear raymsixsix -

Please don't assume that I didn't research, touch, smell, sat, drove ..etc. the GX before buying it. The short seat issue was NOT a surprise. I was simply stating the fact that my husband doesn't feel he has adequate leg support. However, the GX is MY car. I bought it, I drive it, I LIKE it.

He drives a Mercedes sedan that suits him perfectly. And while I enjoy being a passenger in his car, I really do not feel comfortable driving it. Again this is a seat issue. In order to reach the pedals I must pull the seat fairly far forward and I feel uncomfortably close to the dash and head liner. But that's his car. He bought what pleases him. We rarely drive each other's car so it's no big deal.

• 1 month later...

In my case it was not apparent that the seat was uncomfortable until a week or two when I started getting lower back pains from the improper measurements of the lumbar support and the hard seat surfaces.