Rx350 Trailer Hitch Facts

If you need trailer brakes you probably shouldn't be using an RX to tow that trailer. Lexus likely is aware that someone somewhere would try to haul a 10,000 pound backhoe if the RX was equipped with the means to do it. Get a one ton truck and do it right.

The RX is a light, short wheel-based vehicle that is designed to haul light loads. Even 3500 pounds sounds too heavy to me without a weight distributing hitch and sway control. The Teardrop in the photo is about the right size if one wants to be sensible. My truck is rated to haul 10,000 pound but when at that limit it is quite an unpleasant experience with a lot of "(lower) cheek crimping".

My limit on RX towing is a 14' fiberglass open fishing boat that tops out at 2000 pounds fully loaded. Any more weight and vehicle control would go down exponentially in hilly or curvy conditions. The nannys would make it an interesting drive and may end up doing more harm than good.

The 7-blade connector may be possible given that 4 of the connections are already there but the brake controller may be a problem splicing it into all of the fly-by-wire electronics in an RX. The LED circuitry may also be a factor. The computer might have a fit trying to figure out what is going on. Maybe a place that sells trailers could give you better advice.

So in conclusion, my view is that Lexus is not "missing the boat" but rather avoiding the lawsuits.

If you need trailer brakes you probably shouldn't be using an RX to tow that trailer. Lexus likely is aware that someone somewhere would try to haul a 10,000 pound backhoe if the RX was equipped with the means to do it. Get a one ton truck and do it right.

The RX is a light, short wheel-based vehicle that is designed to haul light loads. Even 3500 pounds sounds too heavy to me without a weight distributing hitch and sway control. The Teardrop in the photo is about the right size if one wants to be sensible. My truck is rated to haul 10,000 pound but when at that limit it is quite an unpleasant experience with a lot of "(lower) cheek crimping".

My limit on RX towing is a 14' fiberglass open fishing boat that tops out at 2000 pounds fully loaded. Any more weight and vehicle control would go down exponentially in hilly or curvy conditions. The nannys would make it an interesting drive and may end up doing more harm than good.

The 7-blade connector may be possible given that 4 of the connections are already there but the brake controller may be a problem splicing it into all of the fly-by-wire electronics in an RX. The LED circuitry may also be a factor. The computer might have a fit trying to figure out what is going on. Maybe a place that sells trailers could give you better advice.

So in conclusion, my view is that Lexus is not "missing the boat" but rather avoiding the lawsuits.

Part of the reason we purchased the 2010 RX-350 AWD was the rated towing capacity of 3500 pounds and the excellent service provided by our former Lexus. The RX-350 is heavily marketed as having a 3500 pound towing capacity and I would bet it is a bit more difficult to purchase one without the towing package than with. My view, in conclusion, is that Lexus would be more libel to a law suit should a trailer within the specs was in some manner responsible for either a wreck or power-train damage. I find your logic a bit difficult to digest as it would be difficult to argue that an integrated brake controller would somehow degrade the safety of the vehicle. The whole purpose of electric assisted brakes is to give the tow vehicle a break so to speak.

The vehicle in the photo is a 2010 RX-450h and is towing a Camp-Inn Ultra which weighs in at about 1200 pounds loaded. The owner lives in Canada and had a shop install a brake controller just beneath the driver's right knee. With that information I know it can be done, I was just hoping for some insight here on the Lexus Owners Club. During the purchase process of my 2010 RX-350 I specified that I wanted a Lexus receiver style hitch installed which it was. My fault entirely in assuming that there would be provisions available to seamlessly wire in a brake controller and 7 blade "RV" style electrical connector. When taking delivery of the vehicle I was astounded that the Lexus dealer had perfectly butchered the wind valance while installing the Lexus receiver hitch. Apparently they used a Rotozip or Dremel tool to make a crude cut-out in the lower valance for the hitch to protrude through. Upon follow-up I was told by the Lexus dealer that that is the way it is done. Not the Lexus attention to detail I am accustomed to by far.

I too have a Camp-Inn Ultra which has electric brakes installed. The RX-350 was our choice to tow this teardrop when not taking the Harley Road King along. For that, I too have a 10,000 pound rated tow vehicle, a Ford F-250 4x4. When not taking the Harley along the Ford is a bit overkill don't you think post-99684-1251505611_thumb.jpg? Since we enjoy fine machines we bought the Lexus for performance, style, comfort, and utility to tow the Camp-Inn. And no, of course I wouldn't tow my 6500 pound boat with the Lexus even if it had a brake controller, so again, I fail to see your logic and still fail to understand why Lexus chooses to ignore this important safety feature.

I purchased a Draw-Tite Class III Hitch (Part Number: 75153) hitch for my 2004 RX330 and now use it on my 2007 RX400H, cost about $175 + shipping, I purchased the wiring harness from Lexus, hitch worked great on both vehicles. My lease is up in 4 months and I today I received a letter from Lexus (LFS) cutting 3 mos off my lease if I buy a new or preowned Lexus or lease a 2010. Has anyone bought a new 2010 RX350 or 450H and if so what are your initial comments. I'm nervous getting the first of a new model.

Thx B)

Part of the reason we purchased the 2010 RX-350 AWD was the rated towing capacity of 3500 pounds and the excellent service provided by our former Lexus. The RX-350 is heavily marketed as having a 3500 pound towing capacity and I would bet it is a bit more difficult to purchase one without the towing package than with. My view, in conclusion, is that Lexus would be more libel to a law suit should a trailer within the specs was in some manner responsible for either a wreck or power-train damage. I find your logic a bit difficult to digest as it would be difficult to argue that an integrated brake controller would somehow degrade the safety of the vehicle. The whole purpose of electric assisted brakes is to give the tow vehicle a break so to speak.

The vehicle in the photo is a 2010 RX-450h and is towing a Camp-Inn Ultra which weighs in at about 1200 pounds loaded. The owner lives in Canada and had a shop install a brake controller just beneath the driver's right knee. With that information I know it can be done, I was just hoping for some insight here on the Lexus Owners Club. During the purchase process of my 2010 RX-350 I specified that I wanted a Lexus receiver style hitch installed which it was. My fault entirely in assuming that there would be provisions available to seamlessly wire in a brake controller and 7 blade "RV" style electrical connector. When taking delivery of the vehicle I was astounded that the Lexus dealer had perfectly butchered the wind valance while installing the Lexus receiver hitch. Apparently they used a Rotozip or Dremel tool to make a crude cut-out in the lower valance for the hitch to protrude through. Upon follow-up I was told by the Lexus dealer that that is the way it is done. Not the Lexus attention to detail I am accustomed to by far.

I too have a Camp-Inn Ultra which has electric brakes installed. The RX-350 was our choice to tow this teardrop when not taking the Harley Road King along. For that, I too have a 10,000 pound rated tow vehicle, a Ford F-250 4x4. When not taking the Harley along the Ford is a bit overkill don't you think post-99684-1251505611_thumb.jpg? Since we enjoy fine machines we bought the Lexus for performance, style, comfort, and utility to tow the Camp-Inn. And no, of course I wouldn't tow my 6500 pound boat with the Lexus even if it had a brake controller, so again, I fail to see your logic and still fail to understand why Lexus chooses to ignore this important safety feature.

Perhaps contacting Lexus Customer Support would be the next step. An explanation from them may be more enlightening - or at least more logical in your view.

Quickly to restate, a brake controller would not increase the danger but rather would increase the likelihood that someone would abuse the towing limitations. A 4-prong recepticle is a limitation in itself since most heavy trailers have the 7-pin blade plug. The fact that you would not tow a 6500 pound boat does not mean such intelligence is universal.

Had the RX been designed as a tow vehicle it likely would have come with the factory hitch already installed - as do several other Toyota products. Towing ability is an aside rather than a primary feature. The fact that the "tow prep package" doesn't include the hitch may be a hint. The tow prep package contains desirable features that complement the vehicle even without the hitch. It is probably included to increase sales rather than as a suggested use.

The RX "can" be used as a tow vehicle doesn't necessarily mean that it "should" be used in that fashion. One could throw a hitch on a Ford Pinto but that doesn't qualify it as a tow-designed vehicle.

Your F250 was intended to be used for towing so is well equipped for it. If I recall correctly, it even has a factory brake controller if it is a recent model. While I agree that the F250 may be excessive for the uses for which you intend for the RX, it is also likely that a brake controller is overkill for use with those smaller trailers. You could probably tow the Camp-Inn with the Harley in a pinch.

I don't want to engage in a back-and-forth debate on this issue so wish you well in your efforts for clarification.

I don't want to engage in a back-and-forth debate on this issue so wish you well in your efforts for clarification.
Exactly. I have of course contacted Lexus about this, as mentioned in my last post. The whole reason I'm asking my question here is because someone else has more than likely made the modification and perhaps would be of some help. And yes, we do get plenty of folks ask if they can tow the teardrop with their Harley; my general response is "yes, but I doubt you could stop it." This trailer is easily towed by PT Cruisers, small wheel based Jeeps (the Willie's style) and other small vehicles so I doubt it would be much of a strain for the RX which do make a striking pair in my view :D

Thanks,

• 2 weeks later...
I purchased a Draw-Tite Class III Hitch (Part Number: 75153) hitch for my 2004 RX330 and now use it on my 2007 RX400H, cost about $175 + shipping, I purchased the wiring harness from Lexus, hitch worked great on both vehicles. My lease is up in 4 months and I today I received a letter from Lexus (LFS) cutting 3 mos off my lease if I buy a new or preowned Lexus or lease a 2010. Has anyone bought a new 2010 RX350 or 450H and if so what are your initial comments. I'm nervous getting the first of a new model.

Thx B)

I have a 2010 RX 350 and it is very nice... after 1 month! I had an RX330 before and they seem very similar. I am intersted in putting on a hitch to tow a UHaul Auto Transporter carring a 3000 pound eLectric DeLorean but I think it may be too heavy a set up.

Also, It looks like it's a 2" square receiver. Yes? Thanks for your information!! :cheers:

2" is the standard receiver size for class III hitches (which you will have). Happy towing!

Is a 2" square receiver the same as a 2" ball size? The dealer is asking me what size ball I want and I told him I haven't bought a trailer yet. Is one size more standard than another?

Also, It looks like it's a 2" square receiver. Yes? Thanks for your information!! :cheers:

2" is the standard receiver size for class III hitches (which you will have). Happy towing!

Is a 2" square receiver the same as a 2" ball size? The dealer is asking me what size ball I want and I told him I haven't bought a trailer yet. Is one size more standard than another?

No. Balls come in 1 7/8", 2", and 2 5/16". The ball size must match the trailer's ball socket size. You have to have the trailer first or at least know what trailer you plan to buy. Small trailers tend to use smaller size ball sockets but 2" is rapidly becoming the standard. Anything that would use a 2 5/16" ball you wouldn't want to tow with an RX.

The 2" receiver that is discussed in the other posts is the size of the square pipe that is attached to the car's hitch. A 2" square ball mount slides in, is secured by a pin, and the ball is attached through the hole in the mount. Make sure the ball shaft (with the threads) fits into the mount's hole. Standard size of the threaded portion is 1" but there are other sizes. Yes, it is all important.

I have a 2010 RX 350 and I am intersted in putting on a hitch to tow a UHaul Auto Transporter carring a 3000 pound eLectric DeLorean.

UHaul says the setup needs to be rated at 5000 pounds. Their "computer" say it is OK but is there a 5000 pound rated hitch for the RX350?eD%20on%20trailer%20at%20Power%20of%20DC%202008.JPG

No, again. The RX's hitch may be OK but the RX is not.

There is no way you should tow the set up in the picture with a RX350 even with a factory installed tow package. It is an overload that will void your warranty on the powertrain of the RX. A half-ton pickup (or heavy duty van) is the lightest vehicle that I'd recommend. Even bigger would be better. (Note the number of pickups in the background of the picture.)

I'm not familiar with U-Haul's computer analysis but when things go wrong they probably will be out of the picture and you would have to take them to court for recommending that 5K pounds can be towed by an RX. With court costs and the repairs on the RX you could probably buy a decent used half-ton pickup for half the price.

Plus, the dual axles on this trailer most likely have electric brakes which can't be hooked up to the RX given the standard electrical connection. Even if the trailer is equipped with hydraulic brakes it couldn't be easily backed up. Running that much weight without brakes is extremely dangerous and stop times and lengths would be excessive not to mention the wear and tear on the RX's brakes and the heat warping of the rotors. Maybe a trailer rental or sales place could modify things to work but doing something like that is highly discouraged.

Another problem is that with the short wheel base on the RX you would likely need a weight distributing hitch (WDH) and a sway control bar. Otherwise, both the RX and the trailer would be all over the road.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 2010 RX350 FWD w/o tow package. I installed a Curt hitch that went in beautifully, only having to make a couple of minor trims to the existing fashing (which was already outlined for the OEM hitch). The installations instruction are linked here: Curt hitch instruction or 2010 RX350 However, when I attempted to get the trailer lighting working, I learned the connecter loated in the rear corner, driver side, had no power. I took the vehicle to Lexus and they stated the invertor wasn't installed and that they could do it for a mere $600 + tax. In other words, over $600 to make my vehicle street legal when pulling a trailer. Now remember I have owned the vehicle for less than 60 days and installed the Curt hitch myself. All I need is turn/brake signal power at an existing OEM connector!!!

After reading nearly every posting in this forum I find myself confused as to what I need to install. Some postings state in order to get power to the OEM connector I must install PN 82670-0E040. Others state that the wiring convertor, PT219-48101-TC, from lexus.dealerfit.com, will solve my problems. ARE THESES PARTS ONE AND THE SAME? Also does anyone have a picture of this/these part(s) and installation instructions that could share? I'd like to know what I'm getting into prior to shelling out another $90 plus shipping.

In my discussions with different folks, I did receive the installation istructions for the OEM hitch. I must admit however, it appears much more difficult than installing the Curt as one does not have to remove the rear bumber when installing the Curt. I have them in an adobe pdf file and could not figure out how to updoad.

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

I did the same as you, T-Rex. I installed the Curt Hitch relatively easily, and am pleased. While at my 6-month checkup/service I requested the parts dept in Clearwater to check to see what it would take to activate the connection you mentioned (rear drivers side bumper). They stated they checked with other Lexus parts depts and found that it could not be done and that Lexus does not make the parts to enable the connection.

Next I went to a U-Haul dealer and they checked their computer for a solution, and their database said to contact your Lexus dealer.

So for now it seems we are SOL.

I can see it is possible to tap into the taillight circuit and the individual turn signal circuits as they are standard bulbs, but I am sure messing with the LED Stop light circuit would screw something up.

It looks to me that we will just have to wait until some after-market supplier can test and market a kit to tap into the system that won't mess things up for the RX and still power trailer lights.

Tom

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

Have either of you tried this? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2010-Lexus-...923149006r29180 I believe CURT makes the T-Connector.

Also, I'd like to pick up a hitch for my wife's 2010 RX 350 but I see two models listed. They are different enough that I have to ask which model have people been using on the 2010?

Model 13539:

13539_1024x768_a.jpg

Model 13541:

13541_1024x768_a.jpg

Discounthitches.com lists them both as Class 3 hitches. Any guidance is appreciated. Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I just finished installing an aftermarket Class 3 hitch on my wife's 2009 RX 350. The hitch is a U-Haul brand, and its made by Curt. I got mine on eBay for $130 including shipping. It fit perfectly; you remove the two black tow brackets attached to the underside of the car, and the six bolts on the hitch line up perfectly with the OEM nuts which are already welded to the car.

The OEM wiring harness can be purchased as a separate part from the dealer (Lexus part number 08942-48870-BB). I got mine for $44 including tax. Installation instructions can be found earlier in this thread in a post by GDixon and are accurate.

Installing the harness is a breeze. It helps to have a nylon body trim tool to pop the nylon clips holding the various trim and trays. That and a 12mm socket wrench and a 12mm open end wrench is all you need. It took me about 45 minutes to disassemble the trunk floor bits, install the harness, and reinstall. The wiring harness comes with clips to also attach it along the OEM hitch body under the car -- since there is no provision for these to attach to my aftermarket hitch, I just looped the wire over the bumper mount and zip tied the plug to the hitch. Nothing hangs down below the bumper valance, and there's no stress on the wire at any point.

My final tweak was black electrical tape over the UHaul label. Everything looks very neat and black ... after a couple of days, my wife didn't even notice it on her car.

• 6 months later...

The Lexus trailer hitch from Toyota arrived for my 08 RX350. The description on the box is "Lexus RX330 RC Hitch '04 3500". It also fits the RX400h but the two plastic skirts on the sides of the rear bumper have to be removed.

Part # is: PT228-48045. It was about $280 with shipping from Lexus of Roseville where the car was purchased (they have a store on eBay).

It does not work with "active cruise control" for some reason.

If you don't have a towing package then an electrical converter is necessary - P/N 82670-48050.

The attachment is with 13 bolts and one nut. The rear towing hooks on both sides have to be removed first.

The wiring harness is permanently attached to the hitch and is integral to its operation. It apparently cannot be purchased separately for use with a hitch from an independent company.

In order to access the car's existing towing package wiring hook-up, the entire back floor of the luggage compartment has to be removed. That is the tray with the jack in it and the storage tray that opens with the two push buttons at the far rear of the interior. Then a grommet is popped out to the back of the driver's side rear wheel and replaced with a new included grommet that the hitch wiring goes through. The attachment is very near the grommet.

This is all from reading the directions. I'll post again after the install if anyone is interested and any shortcuts are found.

Hey thanks for all the info on the hitch for the 08 350rx. The dealer quoted me a price of 505.00 and 253.00 to install it.

I am going to search on ebay and even though I am a girl, I think I can do the install myself.

Thanks again.

Hey thanks for all the info on the hitch for the 08 350rx. The dealer quoted me a price of 505.00 and 253.00 to install it.

I am going to search on ebay and even though I am a girl, I think I can do the install myself.

Thanks again.

I am sure you can do the install yourself, but it would help if you got someone to assist, to hold the hitch 'up' in position while you put the bolts in (through) on the first side.

FYI, if you want an OEM hitch at a reduced price I am 99% sure the $275 Toyota Highlander hitch, PT228-69045, is identical to the Lexus. I have compared the install directions and they are identical. I am going to buy this hitch from the local dealer as it is cheaper than I could find online and I will update after the install.

Have a 2010 RX350 without tow package. I installed the Curt hitch without any difficulty--No harder than changing a tire. My question is this, I ordered the towing converter box from the dealer, the rear floor was easy to remove, where is the box to be pluged in? The inputs don't look like they match any of the plugs. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Bob

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Reporting back on the Toyota Highlander hitch, it fits perfectly. The other good news my Canadian 2007 RX350 seems to have the converter box. I plugged in the connector and it tested fine. Not sure what all the fuss was about removing the floor in the cargo area, it went faster than installing the hitch.

Reporting back on the Toyota Highlander hitch, it fits perfectly. The other good news my Canadian 2007 RX350 seems to have the converter box. I plugged in the connector and it tested fine. Not sure what all the fuss was about removing the floor in the cargo area, it went faster than installing the hitch.

Perhaps it was the excellent instructions by the original poster. Not having to go through trial and error is a benefit.

Yes, your instructions were good but I found myself using the instructions that came with the hitch as they were more than clear enough for me. This post did help greatly in my research for finding a hitch and understanding what was involved for the installation. Also I found that it wasn't necessary to remove the right tray access door.

I just wanted to emphasize that since the Lexus hitch is so expensive, $400, you can get the same exact OEM hitch from Toyota for $275 from your local dealer.

• 1 year later...

I just bought the wiring harness, but instead of going through my Lexus dealer, I called my local Toyota dealer and got the same part number, $41 including tax and had it in one day. it took about an hour to install the harness. My 2008 400h has the tow prep package so the wiring connector was right where it should be. My Curt hitch, model 13530, comes this morning Fedex (got it for $130 delivered off Ebay-unreal deal). I did the whole tow hitch and wiring for $170. Not bad!!!

• 1 month later...

Has n e one installed a brake control for electric trailer brakes? I put the flat four wiring into the trailer prep supplied connector and purchased a 4 to 7 flat converter and a Tekonsha P3 brake control (both are not yet installed). Was wondering if I could pick up power and brake hot for the controller inside the cab? Any help greatly appreciated. Lexus is no help.

Stephen