Rx350 Trailer Hitch Facts

Hi everyone. On May 5th, I purchased a RX-400H. It camed with the pre-hitch package and no hitch. To purchase the hitch from the dealer would have cost $375. I opted not to buy from the dealer, but still wanted the Lexus hitch since it looks nicer when installed. I did some research online to find an aftermarket hitch that did not go around the exhaust pipe. I could not find one, but in my search I came across a website called www.lexuspartsonline.com. When I did a search on the website for the part # the hitch came up at a price of $212. I thought well this seems like a really good price so I purchased the hitch. I received the hitch on May 20th and it was exactly what I wanted. The main thing to know is that when you are on the website, you have to search the OEM part # PT228-48045 to find the $212 price. There is a Lexus accessories button for searching accessories and when you click on that button and find the hitch, it comes up with a price of $359 for the exact same hitch and on the same website. The dealer is Champions Toyota in Austin, Texas. If you live outside of Texas you might be able to avoid tax.

I did find a place that would install it for $80 in Houston, TX. The place is Master Hitch. I like doing things myself and will report back if I decide to install it myself.

Just wanted to spread the word where I found a good price for the Lexus RX hitch. :) :cheers:

Rob,

Did the $212 OEM part come with the wiring harness? I'm looking to add the hitch to my RX 400 and wanted to verify beforeing ordering at the site you quoted.

Thanks,

Jason

New member here... I just ordered the $212 hitch with harness mentioned above. The web site that selling it is flaky, but hopefully the order goes through. I will confirm if this deal is as good as it sounds once I receive the package...

Oh and shipping is only $21 - for 50# hitch! Who am i to argue. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone. On May 5th, I purchased a RX-400H. It camed with the pre-hitch package and no hitch. To purchase the hitch from the dealer would have cost $375. I opted not to buy from the dealer, but still wanted the Lexus hitch since it looks nicer when installed. I did some research online to find an aftermarket hitch that did not go around the exhaust pipe. I could not find one, but in my search I came across a website called www.lexuspartsonline.com. When I did a search on the website for the part # the hitch came up at a price of $212. I thought well this seems like a really good price so I purchased the hitch. I received the hitch on May 20th and it was exactly what I wanted. The main thing to know is that when you are on the website, you have to search the OEM part # PT228-48045 to find the $212 price. There is a Lexus accessories button for searching accessories and when you click on that button and find the hitch, it comes up with a price of $359 for the exact same hitch and on the same website. The dealer is Champions Toyota in Austin, Texas. If you live outside of Texas you might be able to avoid tax.

I did find a place that would install it for $80 in Houston, TX. The place is Master Hitch. I like doing things myself and will report back if I decide to install it myself.

Just wanted to spread the word where I found a good price for the Lexus RX hitch. :) :cheers:

Rob,

Did the $212 OEM part come with the wiring harness? I'm looking to add the hitch to my RX 400 and wanted to verify beforeing ordering at the site you quoted.

Thanks,

Jason

New member here... I just ordered the $212 hitch with harness mentioned above. The web site that selling it is flaky, but hopefully the order goes through. I will confirm if this deal is as good as it sounds once I receive the package...

Hi Alphadog,

I'm also a new member here and also new to Lexus. I am curious if you received this hitch and if you were pleased with it? Were there any problems? Was the harness the right product? Have you tested the hitch by pulling anything? Sorry for all the questions but I'm very interested. I've just purchased a new '08 400h and may wish to order the same hitch & harness.

Thanks to everyone for the advice and help.

Just wanted to spread the word where I found a good price for the Lexus RX hitch. :):cheers:

Rob,

Thanks,

Jason

Hi Alphadog,

I'm also a new member here and also new to Lexus. I am curious if you received this hitch and if you were pleased with it? Were there any problems? Was the harness the right product? Have you tested the hitch by pulling anything? Sorry for all the questions but I'm very interested. I've just purchased a new '08 400h and may wish to order the same hitch & harness.

I posted some pics in another thread (lots of threads on the RX hitch and I always forget which one I should use)

Lexus Trailer post

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...showtopic=48904

It installed easy, no problems at all. The harness plugged right into the main harness in the rear. I am very pleased and feel that this the best way to go - better then any after market hitch. I have not pulled the trailer yet, but i did hook up the harness and check the electrical connections. Based on the welded construction and frame attachment points, I have no reason to believe that this will not handle the rated load of 3500# clearly stamped on the hitch.

Just wanted to spread the word where I found a good price for the Lexus RX hitch. :):cheers:

Rob,

Thanks,

Jason

Hi Alphadog,

Jason and Alphadog,

Sorry for the delay in returning to the site, but it took 3 weeks for the hitch to arrive and then I have not returned for while. Anyway, the hitch did include the wiring harness. Also, I did install the hitch myself and the instructions were very good. If you are a do it yourselfer type, then I would recommend installing it yourself. There was no getting around removing the floor in the rear. I would say the install took approximately 2 hours and that is only b/c I was reading the instructions and taking my time. If I had to do it again, I am sure I could do it within an hour. I am very pleased with the product vs any aftermarket hitches.

Rob

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all!

Hitch update - I ordered the trailer hitch from lexuspartsonline.com on July 5 for my 08 400h, based on the comments in this thread. I paid extra for two day shipping but the hitch didn't arrive until today. No biggie but still, I did pay for two day shipping and the hitch was in stock when I placed the order. It is a genuine Toyota part with the wiring harness included for $243.80 including shipping. No ball but I already have one so I don't care that it's not included (it showed included on the listing). My husband is installing it as we speak so I'll let you know how it goes/looks/works. Overall, in spite of the problems I've mentioned, I believe this is a great deal!

Thank you Alphadog for the referral!! ;)

Vanessa

Hi all!

Hitch update - I ordered the trailer hitch from lexuspartsonline.com on July 5 for my 08 400h, based on the comments in this thread. I paid extra for two day shipping but the hitch didn't arrive until today. No biggie but still, I did pay for two day shipping and the hitch was in stock when I placed the order. It is a genuine Toyota part with the wiring harness included for $243.80 including shipping. No ball but I already have one so I don't care that it's not included (it showed included on the listing). My husband is installing it as we speak so I'll let you know how it goes/looks/works. Overall, in spite of the problems I've mentioned, I believe this is a great deal!

Thank you Alphadog for the referral!! ;)

Vanessa

Best deal I've heard of on a genuine Toyota/Lexus RX hitch. From other posts the trailer towing aspect of the RX pleases all. Haven't seen one complaint.

OK, the hitch is installed. The hitch itself took an hour, accessing the electrical plug-in took two hours. How Lexus can charge $400+ for just the install labor is beyond me. This was the first time for me and it took extra time to assemble the correct tools and scratch my head a few times. It could probably be done in 2/3 of the time for someone experienced.

Tools necessary for installing the hitch to the frame:

14 mm socket

15 mm socket

6" socket extension

air impact wrench makes it easier, a regular 1/2 socket wrench would do and is definitely necessary for 4 bolts.

torque wrench to handle 37 ft-lbs or torque could be guessed

Tools for the rear floor removal:

a panel removal tool or something that will remove black plastic body clips (plugs), a small stiff putty knife works fine.

12 mm deep and shallow socket (a magnetic insert is HIGHLY recommended) :censored:

6" socket extension

3/8" in socket wrench (a 3/8" air socket wrench speeds things up)

The hitch/frame install is straight forward. After removing the tow hooks, there is a brace to install on the driver's side and one for the passenger's side - 4 bolts total. The mounting holes on the car are plugged with rubber grommets. Removing them exposes the welded and threaded backing nuts. The holes line up perfectly and just wrench the remaining 9 bolts through the hitch and into the frame or brace. There is also a 15mm nut. I jacked up the rear to gain better access and used a jack stand to steady one end of the hitch while the other was secured by one barely started bolt to hold it in place. Then the other end got a bolt and the rest was easy. Then the wiring harness can be untaped and clipped on to little mounting brackets on the hitch. Pull the obvious large rubber body grommet and the grommet on the wiring harness goes in its place. The grommet is flexible and is easily installed. The easy part is done.

The interior rear floor removal is necessary. There are no shortcuts. All of this needs to be done just to remove the little tray on the driver's side to gain access to the electrical plug in. "Front" is front of the car, "rear" is rear of the car. The tray with the jack in it comes out with the removal of two black plastic body clips on the rear part of the tray. The tray lifts up and to the rear and that is it for that one. The jack door is left on and the contents of the jack tray can be left as they are.

The hinges for the rearmost two tray access doors are held on by four nuts that are exposed when the jack tray is removed. A 12 mm deep socket is needed for those front four nuts. Then the rear of the hinges are held on by six 12 mm bolts that are hard to access and the rear tray has to be flexed a bit to get to them. Don't worry at this point if one is dropped - it will be found when the tray is removed. There are some more black clips on both sides of the tray and then it can be lifted out.

A couple of more clips allow the very rear panel that has the tray opening buttons in it to be pulled up. It is secured with several non-accessible white clips that can't be seen but comes out easily.

Finally the small tray on the driver's side that is really why all the rest of the floor has to be taken out can be removed. It is held in place by a couple of black clips and a strange threaded plastic nut in a depression on the bottom of the tray. Don't forget to un-Velcro the interior gas door release.

There is only one place to plug in the wiring harness and the length of the wire from the grommet makes it obvious. Taping the hitch wire to the body harness is advised so you don't have to do this twice in case it comes loose somehow. Of course, test the trailer plug-in now to make sure it works. Lights, LT, RT, brake, and emergency lights. Some of this testing is redundant but it pays to do it anyway.

Re-installation is the reverse of removal.

EXCEPT: Don't forget to get the gas door release out from behind the little final tray when it is put back in.

AND: The six 12 mm bolts for the rear tray's doors are a real pain. Access is limited, they are hard to start in their holes, and dropping one can cause it to roll under the rear tray and then the tray has to be removed again to get the bolt. Luckily, I had a magnetic socket insert than held the bolt so it could be started by hand. Some wide masking tape can be used to close the three gaps where the bolts might fall through. Another trick might be to put the bolts through the hinge first and then lower the door/hinge to just above the holes and use the 12 mm socket w/extension to get them started. Just start all six bolts first in case one is dropped under the tray. Then they can all be tightened after they are all started.

Hope this helps someone. Pictures were considered but they would not have been any more help than the drawings that came with the hitch installation instructions.

GDixon, :)

Today, I installed a trailer hitch and wiring on my 2008 RX350 using your instructions. You perfectly described every aspect of the installation and I totally agree that Lexus overcharges for this job. My hitch is a Curt after-market one that fits around the exhaust and was easy to install with six bolts. It took less than 45 minutes.

I purchased the wiring harness from the local Lexus dealer to connect with the Tow Prep package hook-up. It cost $69 including tax. Your instructions kept me from making several mistakes and going through my usual trial and error process. Since the hitch is an after-market one, there is not a place to connect the wiring end to the hitch. It was easy, however, to attach it under the bumper, adjacent to the hitch. The wiring installation took slightly less than two hours. Thank you very much. Your directions were more clear than any I have ever read in an instruction manual.

GDixon, :)

Today, I installed a trailer hitch and wiring on my 2008 RX350 using your instructions. You perfectly described every aspect of the installation and I totally agree that Lexus overcharges for this job. My hitch is a Curt after-market one that fits around the exhaust and was easy to install with six bolts. It took less than 45 minutes.

I purchased the wiring harness from the local Lexus dealer to connect with the Tow Prep package hook-up. It cost $69 including tax. Your instructions kept me from making several mistakes and going through my usual trial and error process. Since the hitch is an after-market one, there is not a place to connect the wiring end to the hitch. It was easy, however, to attach it under the bumper, adjacent to the hitch. The wiring installation took slightly less than two hours. Thank you very much. Your directions were more clear than any I have ever read in an instruction manual.

Glad the post provided some assistance with the hitch installation.

Just about every answer to a Lexus question can be found on this site if the correct search is done. The vast majority of people here are very helpful.

• 2 months later...

I found that I could buy the Lexus tow hitch wiring harness as a separate item (without the tow bar) from my local Lexus Parts Department.

The wiring harness part number was: 08942-48870-BB. My cost was $55.73 + tax (10/04/08).

I followed some of the installation instructions as I found here in a .pdf for the RX300/RX400h:

http://www.sewellpartsonline.com/import/PDF/RX330_TOW.PDF

One thing different from using the full Lexus tow bar was attaching the outer electrical receptacle to my tow bar. I did NOT drill holes in the tow bar to screw the receptacle on, as this could weaken the tow bar. I strapped the receptacle on using two 2-3/4" hose clamps which I spray-painted black.

• 1 month later...

I purchased the hitch assembly from Lexus but did not need to get a converter for my Canadian Lexus - dealer parts said that the Canadian vehicles do not require the converter. Hitch came with the wiring harness installed and the plug connector matched an open receiver on the wiring harness.

Install was easy - did not have to remove right compartment cover, only left driver side one to be able to remove the plastic cover over the plug connector. And it was easy to get at the back side nuts on the hinge when the front tray was removed. Had a bit of trouble to get the tray out - took a screwdriver leverage to get it up past the frame.

• 1 month later...

I picked up the hitch from the same dealer i got my car 2 weeks ago. it was $280 for hitch. since 09 come wired i am going saturday morning to get it installed at friends shop ( i was going to do it myself but since its 20 degrees outside i figure it would be best to get it done in a warm shop while the car is on the lift :D ) i will post pictures once its installed.

• 3 months later...

Is there any interest in getting of new in box RX 330 towing hitch (part number PT228-48045) ? . It cost me $240 plus $33 for shipment. The item is in Houston - hasn't been even opened yet. I planned to take it out country with me but have to deffer my trip to US till the better time :(((

International shipment will cost me even higher than hitch itself.

post-51580-1241005022_thumb.jpg

Hi Shwonder, I'm interested in it. I'll PM you momentarily.

Is there any interest in getting of new in box RX 330 towing hitch (part number PT228-48045) ? . It cost me $240 plus $33 for shipment. The item is in Houston - hasn't been even opened yet. I planned to take it out country with me but have to deffer my trip to US till the better time :(((

International shipment will cost me even higher than hitch itself.

Hmmm... scratch that, it seems I don't have permission to use the private messaging function; drop me an email: arjun at mtrs dot org. Does it include the wiring harness? What would shipping cost to WA 98281? How much do you want for it?

Hmmm... scratch that, it seems I don't have permission to use the private messaging function; drop me an email: arjun at mtrs dot org. Does it include the wiring harness? What would shipping cost to WA 98281? How much do you want for it?

Melchior. I bought this item from Lexus Parts Depot (Milwaukee, WI). You can do the same way to avoid extra charge for additional shipment from Houston. If you are interested in it I can provide you with contacts. Delivery took me less than week. Wiring harness is included. I am offering only pick up option for "lazy" Houston guys because I do not want to disturb my friend who is keeping it in his garage. I am not able to be in US in the nearest future to take it with me...

Melchior. I bought this item from Lexus Parts Depot (Milwaukee, WI). You can do the same way to avoid extra charge for additional shipment from Houston. If you are interested in it I can provide you with contacts. Delivery took me less than week. Wiring harness is included. I am offering only pick up option for "lazy" Houston guys because I do not want to disturb my friend who is keeping it in his garage. I am not able to be in US in the neares future to take it with me...

Hi shwonder,

Thanks for the reply, I totally understand about shipping. If you could supply some contact info, that'd be helpful. Is it www.lexuspartsdepot.com? Unfortunately, they seem to be showing a price of $275 now. =( ...Was there a contact there who helped you get a better deal?

Hi shwonder,

Thanks for the reply, I totally understand about shipping. If you could supply some contact info, that'd be helpful. Is it www.lexuspartsdepot.com? Unfortunately, they seem to be showing a price of $275 now. =( ...Was there a contact there who helped you get a better deal?

I got this info from this forum and ordered from www.lexuspartsdepot.com a month ago. Bill Erickson <berickson@lexusnorthshore.com> was my contact. I can not advise what's happened with the price but it was $240 when I got it (the cheapest price I could find for original Lexus part).

Thanks for the link, I've just placed an order with them! Their shipping price is very reasonable ($28 to WA), and since I'm out of state, there's no tax.

Regards,

-Melchior

Melchior

try this one http://lexuspartsonline.com/index2.html?pa...p;siteid=214281

it costs $240 but you need to check for shipping price and tax.

good luck

• 4 weeks later...
If you don't have a towing package then an electrical converter is necessary - P/N 82670-48050.

The part number above is superceded by 82670-0E040.

A word of caution, I ordered the above part number (82670-0E040) online and the fine folks at lexuspartsonline.com (Champion Toyota, Austin) decided that they knew what part number I really :rolleyes: needed based on my VIN. One week of waiting and $35 worth of overnight express shipping later, they sent me the exact same junction box that is already in the vehicle. :angry:

So, if ordering online, you may wish to not give them your VIN number and / or include a note that the P/N should not be substituted.

For anyone searching for archival purposes

82670-0E040 is the part number for the towing ENabled junction box

82670-0E030 is the part number for the towing DISabled junction box

Externally the two parts are identical. There is only a manufacture date on a sticker and the code Toyota PP-T30 or Toyota >PP-T30< molded into the plastic shell of the junction box. And, the part number is on the open plastic bag in which the dealer receives the part. It seems like there is a lot of potential for confusing mix-ups on the parts shelf.

Out of curiosity I disassembled the old towing disabled converter to see what was different. The big plastic box contains a small circuit board soldered to pins going to the outside connectors. I would suppose that only this board differs between part numbers.

Why on earth Toyota doesn't just put the towing enabled converter on all units it produces is anybody's guess. I am certain that there is no difference in the production cost of the towing enabled vs. disabled boards. Seems very un-Toyota-like.

To provide a counter point to many who found this job easy, I found this job to be a giant PITA. I would have gladly paid the dealer $900 for the hitch plus install in retrospect. I found the FSM illustrations hard to follow and had to read and re-read many times to feel confident proceeding. And the electrical connectors to the junction box / converter were a bear to get loose in a space with restricted access.

Installation of the hitch itself wasn't bad at all. My wife's '09 RX is "towing ready" and I will probably tackle that myself if it only involves bolting the hitch on.

For anyone searching for archival purposes

82670-0E040 is the part number for the towing ENabled junction box

82670-0E030 is the part number for the towing DISabled junction box

Externally the two parts are identical. There is only a manufacture date on a sticker and the code Toyota PP-T30 or Toyota >PP-T30< molded into the plastic shell of the junction box. And, the part number is on the open plastic bag in which the dealer receives the part. It seems like there is a lot of potential for confusing mix-ups on the parts shelf.

Out of curiosity I disassembled the old towing disabled converter to see what was different. The big plastic box contains a small circuit board soldered to pins going to the outside connectors. I would suppose that only this board differs between part numbers.

Why on earth Toyota doesn't just put the towing enabled converter on all units it produces is anybody's guess. I am certain that there is no difference in the production cost of the towing enabled vs. disabled boards. Seems very un-Toyota-like.

To provide a counter point to many who found this job easy, I found this job to be a giant PITA. I would have gladly paid the dealer $900 for the hitch plus install in retrospect. I found the FSM illustrations hard to follow and had to read and re-read many times to feel confident proceeding. And the electrical connectors to the junction box / converter were a bear to get loose in a space with restricted access.

Installation of the hitch itself wasn't bad at all. My wife's '09 RX is "towing ready" and I will probably tackle that myself if it only involves bolting the hitch on.

I installed the trailer hitch on my 09RX350 (AWD - comes with the connections). It's an easy job. But: the hitch is heavy and it helps to have someone (or a well-placed and well-adjusted jack) hold one end up while you screw in the first bolt(s) on the other end. The bolt holes are very well aligned. Re: the electrical connection... Instructions say to unbolt all the 'hatch doors'/remove the drawers so that you can get to the plug inside the car. In fact, the only 'drawer' you need to get under is the one on the rear left, and you may even be able to do this by removing the back trim (which includes the 'buttons' to open the 'hatch doors') and feeling under the drawer on the left. Depending on your capacity to 'twist' the drawer and reaching under... the plug is quite evident, and the wires/plug that come from the hitch can easily be inserted from the outside by removing the existing grommet in the pass-through hole. I did it a little shorter than the 'long way' described in the instructions, and it was only because my trim was defective that I later saw the access (when Lexus changed the trim in front of me). Good luck!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I posted this question on another thread 7 Blade RV Style Electrical Connector but have yet to receive a response. Why Toyota would install a "Towing Package" but not provide an integrated brake controller seems a bit strange, especially since the RX-350 is rated to tow 3500 pounds. Also, since the "factory" hitch assembly, and I assume the "under the cargo deck" electrical connector, is only wired for a 4 pin flat style connector further complicates the issue of attempting to tow and safely stop a small RV, or charge the RV battery while under tow.

Has anyone addressed this problem? If so, what kind of brake controller did you install and where was it installed? The industry standard for both boat and RV connectors is the round 7 bladed connector. This is a great little vehicle for towing a small pop-up or pulling a Teardrop like this one (click on photo to enlarge) post-99684-1251446370_thumb.jpg which is our intention. BTW, that's a RX-400H pulling a Camp-Inn weight of about 1200 pounds.

It seems to me that someone is missing the boat at Toyota.

Thanks in advance for any insight into this issue.