What's This Button For?

thomfarr

Just bought '97 LX450 with no owner's manual. Ordered replacement, but still no mention of an "on/off" toggle switch located far left dash. It is left of the pwr mirror control. No other label on dash.

Also, I do not have the rotary locking diff selector shown in manual. Could the toggle be related to the differentials?

Help, please.

If you cannot find it in the user manual, it may be an add-on for some other purposes such as after market alarm (valet parking switch), fog light, towing light... Look underneath the dash and/or in the engine compartment near the firewall and see if you notice any wires that stand out of the ordinary. I don't have a differential lock on my car either, but I believe that there is an indication (light/icon) on the dash when you activate it.

Thi

I doubt it's for the locking diffs. That would be a dial labelled "DIFF LOCK" (assuming its' the locking diffs from the factory). If it was for an aftermarket diff lock, it would typically have at least 2 toggles (e.g. ARB air lockers have separate toggles for the compressor and each differential lock -- so at least 2 and as many as 3 toggles for an air locker).

It could be for aftermarket lights -- the lights could've been removed? I'd recommend taking that part of the dash apart and following the wiring if you can't figure out what they're for -- I hate not knowing what my switches and toggles do.

Doug

I learned recently that the LX 450s sold in Canada all came with every option available -- including locking differentials.

In the U.S., however, they were optional. The easiest way to tell if you have them is to look for the switch next to the mirror control. It'll be a knob labelled DIFF LOCK.

It doesn't sound like you have the locking factory diffs. Unless you plan on going off-road for some serious four-wheeling, you most likely would never use them.

Doug

• 2 months later...

No "Diff Lock" button on dash. When I shift transfer gear to "L", the dash "Diff Lock" indicator comes on. When I shift back to "H" it remains lit until I shift transmission in to drive, then to N, then back to D. I guess this is normal, glad I figured it out since my owners manual makes no reference.

You should see the center diff lock indicator light up when you shift into 4Low. This tells you that you're now getting equal power to the front and rear driveshafts.

The ABS light should come on too. I thought this was all in the manual - check pages151-153.

Doug

• 6 months later...

I have the same toggle switch left of the mirror controls. I also just bought my 97 lx450 and have no idea what this switch does...... i tired pressing it ....thought it might be the valet switch....but no such luck.

Seems that there may have been a brush bar at some point on this truck, which had fog lights ..... i saw some loose wires in the front by the bumper...so i am guessing that the swtich is for the fog lights which must have been there.