Automatic Sound Levelizer (asl)

It doesn't do much if anything. I haven't notice it making any difference nore has anyone else I've talked with.

Thanks Bartkat. But it works with other Lexus models---- as per other models forums. A freind of mine was telling me he had ASL in his motorcycle and it works fine. How could Lexus screws up something like this?

It doesn't do much if anything. I haven't notice it making any difference nore has anyone else I've talked with.

Thanks Bartkat. But it works with other Lexus models---- as per other models forums. A freind of mine was telling me he had ASL in his motorcycle and it works fine. How could Lexus screws up something like this?

Hmmm, strange. I had this feature turned on but found the changing volume to be bothersome when the vehicle came to a stop. In my case the ASL worked too well. I forget now but I thought there was a sensative adjustment setting along with this feature.

In any event, I have typically never liked the ASL feature working or not.

I forget now but I thought there was a sensative adjustment setting along with this feature.

==============================

I know you forgot but I can't think of any settings pertainent to this holly ASL; do you remember if you did at the dealership, read it in the manual or found it somewhere else?

thanks.

Could this have something to do with the standard sound system?

ASL isn't supposed to do much, it adjusts with the speed of the car (some other cars actually have microphones placed around the car that measure the level of sound and adjust accordingly). It DOES make a difference but to the extent you probably won't notice it. While it is subtle, it does help, but because the ISx50's are so quiet inside it isn't AS necessary.

My previous 318i had ASL (although it went by a different name) and you could actually hear it increase 1 or 2 units of volume as the car got faster.

Our RX330 Sports Luxury (ML, Nav. package basically) has a little range of bars like reception bars on your mobile that would move and down according to how much the ASL is kicking in.

It DOES make a difference because after having a hire-car (Nissan X-Trail) WITHOUT the ASL, there's a continous annoyance with having to lean over and adjust the knob all the time (going slow it's too loud, going fast it's too quiet, going slow it's too loud, going fast it's too quiet.... etc.).

Then it works in some cars (IS) and does not in my car because I have to turn up/down the the volume myself. And, it got to be noticable since was clear is not clear and you've to turn up the vol. as it becomes noisy. I may have to do a little experiment where I open the sunroof and check if it makes difference. The funny thing though is that they mentioned a 3 line passage in the manual that's all.

At any rate, thanks for your input.

Could this have something to do with the standard sound system?

ASL isn't supposed to do much, it adjusts with the speed of the car (some other cars actually have microphones placed around the car that measure the level of sound and adjust accordingly). It DOES make a difference but to the extent you probably won't notice it. While it is subtle, it does help, but because the ISx50's are so quiet inside it isn't AS necessary.

My previous 318i had ASL (although it went by a different name) and you could actually hear it increase 1 or 2 units of volume as the car got faster.

Our RX330 Sports Luxury (ML, Nav. package basically) has a little range of bars like reception bars on your mobile that would move and down according to how much the ASL is kicking in.

It DOES make a difference because after having a hire-car (Nissan X-Trail) WITHOUT the ASL, there's a continous annoyance with having to lean over and adjust the knob all the time (going slow it's too loud, going fast it's too quiet, going slow it's too loud, going fast it's too quiet.... etc.).

I found the sound level to be very noticable. But you mention a good point. I have the Mark Levinson system in my car. I will have to turn this feature on again to remember how it worked or not.

I did my last experiment to verify if this ASL works in my 2006 250. I opened the windows while at 70 MPH and it did not automatically leve up.

So the conclusion is "IT DOES NOT WORK." I bet if Lexus did any hardware thing to make this works; they got this buton in the NAV and that's it.

The point is do I have to complain to dealer or Lexus of USA?

I did my last experiment to verify if this ASL works in my 2006 250. I opened the windows while at 70 MPH and it did not automatically leve up.

So the conclusion is "IT DOES NOT WORK." I bet if Lexus did any hardware thing to make this works; they got this buton in the NAV and that's it.

The point is do I have to complain to dealer or Lexus of USA?

Just for the record, do you have the base model radio or the upgraded Mark Levinson system?

I have the 07 nav/ML head unit and it works on mine. I gets louder at a certain speed not by sound levels.

So it would seem that the ASL on the standard system either makes little difference or no difference at all?

This is odd actually because i can't see why it WOULDN'T work other than someone telling a white lie or maybe something isn't hooked up properly.

I wonder if this is a problem not just restricted to the ISx50?

Although off the top of my head i think all other current Lexus' come with ML even though the system will vary it's still ML.

Just to confirm, the sound is adjusted according to vehicle speed (not by interior sound).

I have the 07 nav/ML head unit and it works on mine. I gets louder at a certain speed not by sound levels.

I just tested with my 06 350 nav/ML last night, and the ASL does work for me.

when the ASL was off, the difference in volume at highway speeds is very noticible.

The 2006 250 does not come with ML; so mine has NAV but is base (according to your definition).

Yes, the 2006 IS250 WAS available with the ML option, but it was horribly difficult to find and/or order.

This was the first of many straws which caused me to shop elsewhere. :cries:

From the Manual:

Adjusting the Automatic Sound Levelizer (ASL)

Press ASL.

The ASL switches between ON and OFF modes each time the switch is

pressed.

ASL automatically adjusts the volume and tone quality according to the noise

level as you drive your vehicle.

This is from the 06 manual in section 3-2 Using the Audio System.

No mention of it being adjustable, or an ML only option.

Lexus sales person lied to me. He said ML is an option only for 350. However, no one mentioned that ASL works only with ML system. Another screw up or you may call it a blackmail. But why the button is on the NAV screen and it's active, turns on/off?

Your sales person may have meant that it was only available at that time in the IS350.

When I was on the fence for the IS250 (4/06), I wanted the ML package or it was a no go.

I was told that it could be done through special order, along with the rediculous wait of it being specially built for me at the factory.

If you're willing to wait, almost anything is possible.

It wasn't until close to the end of the 06 model run that the ML became unavilable.

As for your system and the ASL button, it should be there on both ML and non-ML systems.

I cannot, however, comment or test how it works on either model. :cries:

It is available and works awesome in the G... but nobody asked that question. :whistles:

Lexus sales person lied to me. He said ML is an option only for 350. However, no one mentioned that ASL works only with ML system. Another screw up or you may call it a blackmail. But why the button is on the NAV screen and it's active, turns on/off?

Your sales person may have meant that it was only available at that time in the IS350.

When I was on the fence for the IS250 (4/06), I wanted the ML package or it was a no go.

I was told that it could be done through special order, along with the rediculous wait of it being specially built for me at the factory.

If you're willing to wait, almost anything is possible.

It wasn't until close to the end of the 06 model run that the ML became unavilable.

As for your system and the ASL button, it should be there on both ML and non-ML systems.

I cannot, however, comment or test how it works on either model.:cries:

It is available and works awesome in the G... but nobody asked that question.:whistles:

I have an IS 350 w/ML and I can attest that the ASL DOES work, but it is based on speeds and the difference is very subtle, which in my opinion is nice. From 0-40mph there will be no difference, but as you pass 50 approaching 60mph you should notice the music a tad louder. This is mostly to keep up with any wind or road noise introduced at the higher speeds. When you slow down again at a light, you should notice the sound being a bit softer in volume. Again, this is very subtle so you have to actually listen for it to notice. I hope this helps for some. I consider myself as having a pretty good ear for music and when I first drove off the dealership with my car, I couldn't really tell if ASL works or knew how it supposed to work... I do now and am happy with the way it works.

I'm rather stunned and quite honestly pretty *BLEEP*ed off that the ASL doesn't work in non-ML nav systems. For crying out loud, it worked fantastic in my 2000 3 series bimmer.. why can't it work right in my almost 50k car?

I think we all need to write letters to Lexus corporate or something.

This is really interesting how you guys have to "special order".

Here in AU, IS250 (Prestige) base model with Options Pack 2 which includes....

"Power moonroof, DVD Satellite Navigation with DVD player, bluetooth capability, reversing monitor camera, premium Mark Levinson 14 speaker audio unit".

We got ours in.... 4 days.

Same without our RX, test drive 1 Week. Order the next week. By the third week we had our RX330 Sports Luxury (Fully kitted model).

But back on topic it seems people with ML, the ASL works a lot better. I don't really have anything to compare it with but maybe this Friday when I get the RX serviced i'll probably receive a IS250 loaner without ML.

I can now confirm (after our loaner) that the BASE SOUND SYSTEM SOUND LEVALIZER makes minimal to no difference despite seeing the "ASL" bars moving up and down.

Impressions - For a 'standard' sound system it sounds great. If you ask me, the difference between the ML and the base isn't so great to the extent that it should be a buying point. Base system is a lot more bassy (boomy) and lacks the clarity of the ML. The ML is also better at producing mid-range base, much sharper and clearer not just a big spitting sound.

Impressions - For a 'standard' sound system it sounds great. If you ask me, the difference between the ML and the base isn't so great to the extent that it should be a buying point. Base system is a lot more bassy (boomy) and lacks the clarity of the ML. The ML is also better at producing mid-range base, much sharper and clearer not just a big spitting sound.

The ML was a major buying point for me, and one reason why I'm not driving the IS today.

I know you compared the 2 sound systems, but did you test out the difference after playing a DVD-A disc with your ML system?

The difference is definitely there, and very noticable, in my opinion.

Also, the ML allows the playing of movies on the NAV screen while my wife is in the store for a "quick" run to the makeup section.

I've been known to watch a whole movie while that girl shops for q-tips! :censored: