Custom Settings?

js0873

I just purchased a 2004 Ultra Luxury and I've been looking through the manual to see where custom settings are done, but can't find them yet. I'm talking about things like adjusting whether one press or 2 are required to open all car doors from the key fob, the amount of time that headlights stay on after leaving the car, and so on. I'm sure there's plenty of programmable options (at least I thought there were), but where do I find documenation on them?

Some of what you're referring to are the Lexus Personalized Settings, which unfortunately must be set by your dealer. They'll give you a list that shows the settings with the defaults and options. It's best that you make your decisions and then have it done once. Dealers are supposed to do it free the first time, although if you bought yours from a private party, they may want to charge you. If you're planning on having services done at the Lexus dealer, maybe that will be an incentive to have them do it for free.

As far as opening one door or all doors with the remote (I assume you don't have the Smart Key), press unlock once to open driver's door and twice to open all doors. If you do have the smart key, you can adjust with the remote whether one or all doors (or just the doors on the side you're standing on) open when you put your hand on the sensor on the door handle. I believe you press lock and trunk open at the same time, for about 2 seconds. Then your choice shows on the driver info display on the dash.

Lexus Personalized Settings are things like when the doors lock (for example, shifting into park) and unlock, the sensitivity of the auto lamps, alarm chirp or no chirp, etc. You can probably Google "Lexus Personalized Settings" and find the list that I'm referring to. It's a check list that you present your dealer.

Any items that are user settable should be outlined in your owner's manual.

Some of what you're referring to are the Lexus Personalized Settings, which unfortunately must be set by your dealer. They'll give you a list that shows the settings with the defaults and options. It's best that you make your decisions and then have it done once. Dealers are supposed to do it free the first time, although if you bought yours from a private party, they may want to charge you. If you're planning on having services done at the Lexus dealer, maybe that will be an incentive to have them do it for free.

As far as opening one door or all doors with the remote (I assume you don't have the Smart Key), press unlock once to open driver's door and twice to open all doors. If you do have the smart key, you can adjust with the remote whether one or all doors (or just the doors on the side you're standing on) open when you put your hand on the sensor on the door handle. I believe you press lock and trunk open at the same time, for about 2 seconds. Then your choice shows on the driver info display on the dash.

Lexus Personalized Settings are things like when the doors lock (for example, shifting into park) and unlock, the sensitivity of the auto lamps, alarm chirp or no chirp, etc. You can probably Google "Lexus Personalized Settings" and find the list that I'm referring to. It's a check list that you present your dealer.

Thanks for the information. You were right on all of this, and yesterday I went to the dealership and had all the settings personalized for me in one fell swoop. Since the car wasn't brand new, they charged $45 to make the changes. I guess that's reasonable enough.

Thanks for the information. You were right on all of this, and yesterday I went to the dealership and had all the settings personalized for me in one fell swoop. Since the car wasn't brand new, they charged $45 to make the changes. I guess that's reasonable enough.

Sorry, you're likely to need to revisit that dealer yet again.

For some rather strange reason for many years Lexus has kept somewhat secret all of the C-best features/options. More recently a few of these have been publisized as LPS, Lexus Personal Setings, options/features, but this list is not nearly the full boat.

Go back to the dealer and ask, INSIST, to see the complete C-BEST list, you'll be surprised at how extensive it is, and USEFUL, over and about the LPS list.

For some rather strange reason for many years Lexus has kept somewhat secret all of the C-best features/options. More recently a few of these have been publisized as LPS, Lexus Personal Setings, options/features, but this list is not nearly the full boat.

Go back to the dealer and ask, INSIST, to see the complete C-BEST list, you'll be surprised at how extensive it is, and USEFUL, over and about the LPS list.

Hmm. I had problems getting the list from them yesterday, just as you mentioned. All they said they had was the current LS460 ones, and there were 16 of those, only one of which didn't apply (power trunk lid operation). I went down the list one by one and made every selection. They acted like this was the only list they had available. I can certainly press them on it if you're certain that there's more than 16 different types. I'll put the types they showed me and maybe someone can say if they notice something missing:

Unlocking of doors

Flashing of signal lights

Unlocking doors when placing vehicles into park

Auto locking of doors at 13 mph

Locking doors when shifting from park into another range

Using the remote key to open all windows

Using the remote key to open moon roof

Using the remote key to open/tilt moon roof

Opening the trunk from remote key

Illumination of cabin light

Illumination of the interior light

Delaying headlights to turn off

Sensitivity of automatic headlights

Daytime running lights function

Auto tilt away of the steering wheel

Power trunk lid operation / non-operation

Hmm. I had problems getting the list from them yesterday, just as you mentioned. All they said they had was the current LS460 ones, and there were 16 of those, only one of which didn't apply (power trunk lid operation). I went down the list one by one and made every selection. They acted like this was the only list they had available. I can certainly press them on it if you're certain that there's more than 16 different types. I'll put the types they showed me and maybe someone can say if they notice something missing:

Unlocking of doors

Flashing of signal lights

Unlocking doors when placing vehicles into park

Auto locking of doors at 13 mph

Locking doors when shifting from park into another range

Using the remote key to open all windows

Using the remote key to open moon roof

Using the remote key to open/tilt moon roof

Opening the trunk from remote key

Illumination of cabin light

Illumination of the interior light

Delaying headlights to turn off

Sensitivity of automatic headlights

Daytime running lights function

Auto tilt away of the steering wheel

Power trunk lid operation / non-operation

That is only the LPS list, you want to see the c-best list.

Things like being able to disable the A/C compressor indefinitely by simply switching it off one time. Unlinking the A/C compressor from operating automatically, with NO indication to you of same, in defrost/defog/demist mode. Preventing the system from automatically switching into cooling mode, dash air outflow, on the coldest night in the dead of winter. Preventing the climate control from automatically switching to recirculate (shear idiocy) upon start on a hot day.

Trust me, the service manager has the C-best list buried deeply and out of mind in a desk drawer somewhere.

If he still refuses then ask to see the Lexus repair/shop manual for your MY and look up the section on climate control as a start.

• 7 years later...