Going To Lexus Tomorrow

amanda

hey, so i am going out there tomorrow and wanted to take some mobil 1 oil for the oil change.

but the mechanic in the service department says it's not necessary and they just use regular mobil oil 5w-30.

you guys have any personal experience with the mobil 1. i've read some posts that say mobil 1 isn't necessary but it'd be interesting to hear if anyone actually saw the benefit of using synthetic instead of the usual that it's just good.

also, i bought this thing called az-something-or-other that was next to the chevron techron stuff that comes with two bottles. one for the gas tank and another for the engine oil reservoir. it said on there, "as seen on tv," but i don't really watch tv so i don't know much about it. it was like $30 but the guy at autozone said it's better than chevron so i took it. anyone know what i'm talking about?

i tried to figure out the turn signal bulb replacement, but i couldn't do it, so i guess lexus will do it for me tomorrow.

Well no, its not "neccisary" just like its not neccisary to buy Exxon gas over "John Cheapo" gas. I truly believe that synthetic oil is better for the car, i think it resists sludging (which is a problem in the ES) has a higher (synthetic) breakdown temp, and it flows better. I use it.

If you want them to use synthetic oil, then take it with you, just make sure they dont charge you for oil.

Amanda,

I am no expert, but be careful when putting additives in either the fuel or oil. I am not saying you shouldn't, but I would research the product before hand than just rely on the guys opinion that its a better product.

Try

http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi and look under the additives section and you can start your research from there.

I missed the part about the fuel and oil additives.

You dont want to use those, either of them. Modern gas has plenty of detergents in it, no need to add anything. As for the oil, anything that would improve its performance would be in it already.

amanda, Mobil 1 is very good stuff.

The main reason why I use it is for our Northeast winters.

The synthetic oil stays more liquid at lower temperatures. Remember last winter......very very cold.

Staying liquid at lower temps means less potential damage to moving parts upon cold start ups over time.

It also allows a slightly longer change interval so a potential savings is possible. I change every 5k with synthetic (I would change every 3k with traditional oil if used).

To save you from asking, the Toyota OEM filter is one of the best you can put on, so go with the filter from the Lexus dealer you choose.

As for the snake oil additive, my guess is you grabbed ZMax. Three triangular shaped flasks. Each has a colored liquid: one clear, one pink, and one purple. Return it and get your $49.99 back. Don't be puttin this stuff in your Lexus. Spend the $49.99 on your next oil change.

steviej

you rock, m2pc. ok, so no zMAX (the product i was trying to remember) in my car now. i guess i'll pick up a bottle of that chevron techron stuff when i take the zMAX back.

i guess it won't hurt and several people seem to like it.

here's a funny quote from the site where m2pc sent me:

I admit that before I wised up on snake oil BS, I used ZMAX. I noticed nothing, nada. I keep very accurate fuel milege records, and they were the same. This was in my piston !Removed! Grand Am. Maybe the bearings were corroded enough to make even more noise. Last Saturday when I turned the keys over to the dealer I bought it from, he started it to move it onto the lot. He walked back (after I signed the bill of sale stating it was sold as is and after he cut me a check) and was very concerned about the knocking. I said straight to his face, "why do ya think I sold it to you?"

that reminds me of a funny scenario involving a dentist and humbert humbert from lolita if any of you guys like nabokov.

p.s. i just saw your post too, steviej. thanks for your input too. two heads are better than one.

Years ago they didn't have multi-viscosity oils like they do today. Example: If you used a SAE20 weight oil the thickness stayed the same whether the oil was cold or hot. The multi-viscosity oils like say 10W40 acts like SAE10(thinner oil) when it's cold and SAE40(thicker oil) when it's hot. That's why I stuck to a regular(not synthetic) High Quality oil for my car. If it's good enough for the Toyota Motor Car Company to put this into their engines, it's good enough for me! ;)

• 3 years later...

Ok, I know this is an old post but my question fits in and I did not want to open a new post:

My dealer here says he adds someting called "WW" to everything.

Say: "WW Power Steering Conditioner"

"WW Trans Conditioner"

"WW Oil Fortifier" (I like that - "fortifier")

etc.

for every liquid, he says he adds some WW something...

Does anyone know what this WW means ?

Thanks

hey, so i am going out there tomorrow and wanted to take some mobil 1 oil for the oil change.

but the mechanic in the service department says it's not necessary and they just use regular mobil oil 5w-30.

you guys have any personal experience with the mobil 1. i've read some posts that say mobil 1 isn't necessary but it'd be interesting to hear if anyone actually saw the benefit of using synthetic instead of the usual that it's just good.

also, i bought this thing called az-something-or-other that was next to the chevron techron stuff that comes with two bottles. one for the gas tank and another for the engine oil reservoir. it said on there, "as seen on tv," but i don't really watch tv so i don't know much about it. it was like $30 but the guy at autozone said it's better than chevron so i took it. anyone know what i'm talking about?

i tried to figure out the turn signal bulb replacement, but i couldn't do it, so i guess lexus will do it for me tomorrow.

Amanda

Just make sure the mechanics actually put the Mobil 1 in YOUR Lexus and NOT in the boot of their own car!

:D :D :D

@Lacebug and blk - you guys are good on the coffee and JDPowers survey front but don't check dates !!!

Well, maybe it is my fault :chairshot: for adding a message to such an old post....

Since one of the original issues were additives I had hoped to find out what "WW" additives are ....??

Dates? We don't need no stinkin dates :P :blink: Information is timeless, isn't it? :cheers:

I've never heard of WW, but I did a quick check on the web. I came up with WW is "Well-Worth" automotive products... here's their link: http://www.wellworthproducts.com/products/additives.html

I'm not much of one for engine additives, but a friend of mine had been racing hydroplanes and nearly any other kind of boat he can be a part of, and he swears by Lucas products, even in his everday vehicles. Here's their site: http://www.lucasoil.com/ ...and here's their "testimonial" page: http://www.lucasoil.com/testimonials/index.sd?catid=9 I've only used their power steering pump stop-leak in my Beemer... it worked like a charm. Never had a problem with it since.