Buying The Trailer Hitch For 400h

i need some help i want to get the trailer hitch installed on my 400h.

the dealer wants like $390 and said they will give me 10% off on the hitch. plus $420+ for install.

this site has the hitch for $290 + $18 for shipping. so $308 for the hitch.

http://www.lexus-parts.com/partdetail.asp?...ubCategoryID=16

these guys have a hitch for the 400h model. here its $150 + $25 for shipping, so about $175. ebay they have it for $180 total basicailly. and this is the same model number my dealership will be using. i asked them.

http://www.bsaohio.com/proddetail.php?prod=75153Lexusrx330

now i dont know much about hitches and all this stuff. my hybrid comes with the tow kit included, so i guess all the wires and everything is ready.

the hitch from bsaohio doesnt have the electrical connections stuff from the looks of the picture. does the model from lexus have it because i cant find a pitcure with the entire towing option. i dont even know what the electrical connection is for. im completely new to this stuff, so please be gentle.

thanks for the help.

The problem with the hitch installation is with the electrical connection. Apparently you can't just tap into the wires for the running lights, brake lights, and turn signals. There is a converter available that is mounted in mid-connection that is necessary from my understanding.

I also have a towing package on my RX350 and went under it to look for a plug or place to tap the electric. No luck. It may be because the tail lights are LED instead of the standard Ford/Chevy type circuitry. I simply gave up.

At $100 per hour, the Lexus dealer install would be a bit over 4 hours. There must be something major besides the dozen or so bolts that hold on the hitch. My web research has not come up with a wiring harness for the hitch.

If anyone else out there in Lexus-land can give GoTTi some help there are likely several of us that would be appreciative.

The problem with the hitch installation is with the electrical connection. Apparently you can't just tap into the wires for the running lights, brake lights, and turn signals. There is a converter available that is mounted in mid-connection that is necessary from my understanding.

I also have a towing package on my RX350 and went under it to look for a plug or place to tap the electric. No luck. It may be because the tail lights are LED instead of the standard Ford/Chevy type circuitry. I simply gave up.

At $100 per hour, the Lexus dealer install would be a bit over 4 hours. There must be something major besides the dozen or so bolts that hold on the hitch. My web research has not come up with a wiring harness for the hitch.

If anyone else out there in Lexus-land can give GoTTi some help there are likely several of us that would be appreciative.

In addition to the the hitch proper there is a wiring harness that will connnect to the pre-exisinig connector on the inside rear cargo area under the floor on the drivers side (there is a cover next to the spare tire that passes to the outside) and runs out the the hitch.

You will only need this harness if you plan to tow a trailer with turn/clearnance/stop lights. These lights are required by most state laws and are a definitely a good idea if the trailer is big engouh to obstrcut the tail lights of the RX. You will not need this harness if you only plan to use the hitch for a bike rack or such.

I recommend the Lexus hitch over the aftermarket ones for asthetic reasons but also becasue it ties into the structure in more places than the aftermarket hithches (at least the ones I looked at like Drawtite and Reese, check out the parts list and note the number of bollts included in the kit).

Installation of the hitch is rather simple. It just bolts onto to exisiting features with the hardware provided. You will need a torque wrench.

Install of the harness is pretty plug and play as long as you can find where it ties in. You may have to take out the plastic tool tray under the cargo floor. I don't see it as a 4hr job for a professional mechanic, 2hrs maybe.

My advice, get the lower price on ebay for the Lexus hitch (be sure it includes all the fasteners et.al.). Get the harness (if you need it) from Lexus parts. Install it yourself or hire your own mechanic who will not charge you 4hrs to do 2hrs of work.

Hope this helps.

The wire harness comes with the hitch inside the box. You need to run it through the the L/R floor area through a rubber grommet and it plugs in to the left side of the tool tray. The tray has to come out and the harness is taped behind the carpet trim panel. It's a lot of work, but you'll need to remove to 2 storage boxes that have the spring loaded covers, left side storage box, tool tray, and possibly the L/R carpet lower trim to find the vehicle side wire harness.

The wire harness comes with the hitch inside the box. You need to run it through the the L/R floor area through a rubber grommet and it plugs in to the left side of the tool tray. The tray has to come out and the harness is taped behind the carpet trim panel. It's a lot of work, but you'll need to remove to 2 storage boxes that have the spring loaded covers, left side storage box, tool tray, and possibly the L/R carpet lower trim to find the vehicle side wire harness.

Sounds like you are speaking from experience. Did you buy yours this way (from the dealer)? Installed yourself?

Perhaps it is 4hrs of work for a pro, and it may pay to have a Lexus mechanic who is familar with how all the trim is removed so that damage is minimized.

As for the harness, I do recall some discussion of a separte part number. Just be sure the ebay hitch has all the parts (bolts, nuts washers, harness, grommet, clips etc).

I do work for a dealer and have installed many of these hitches. The biggest thing is to make sure you have the tow prep package, if not you won't have a trans cooler, high output alternator, or the towing harness convertor.

I do work for a dealer and have installed many of these hitches. The biggest thing is to make sure you have the tow prep package, if not you won't have a trans cooler, high output alternator, or the towing harness convertor.

Yes, I agree that's the biggest part. All the 2006 RX400h cars shipped from Japan with this package as STD, but that may no longer be true for the 07 or 08 models since Lexus has made many of the STD things available now as options so they could lower the base price.

thanks for the info. i bought the hitch and the install today @ my dealer. it cost me about $800 for entire thing, but i rather have peace of mind with the warranty and i know its installed right with no junk stuff. thanks for the input.

• 2 years later...

$219.95 with (I think) free shipping from Park Place Lexus:

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/ind...p;siteid=213808

Tom

Ouch, dealers really rip you off, especially if you have a Luxury vehicle. The only thing that is worth getting from the dealer in my opinion is the wiring, but other than that those hitches they sell are upmarked at least 2,000%

• 2 weeks later...