Exterior Care Recommendations

I bought my dark green Lexus ES 300 last weekend. I'd like list out the steps I plan to take in caring for it and have some more knowledgeable forum members confirm that I'm not about to do something that I'll regret. :unsure:

I've read through previous posts (swiping ideas and some phraseology liberally from SW03ES in particular--Thank God you're here to help people like me!) :cheers:

1. Using water, a sheep skin mitt, and Dawn dishwashing liquid I'll wash the car.

2. Using Clay Magic bar (www.clay-magic.com) and using the carwash as a lube, I'll soap a panel, clay it, and rinse until all the ground in dirt is removed and surface glass smooth.

3. Using Meguiars Swirl Remover (www.meguiars.com) I'll spot remove any large scratches. (How is this applied by the way? Microfiber towel? Sponge?)

4. Using P21s Concours-look Carnuba Wax (www.p21s.com) I'll wax the car and buff it using a microfiber towel.

5. Using PoorBoys EX sealant (www.poorboysworld.com) I'll try to lock in all the work I've done above and hope that it'll last me for 6 months when I plan to do it again.

[is that correct? Wax then sealant? Or should it be sealant then wax?]

6. I'll be using Invisible Glass by Stoner (www.invisibleglass.com) on the windows.

How does this sound? Will this turn out OK? Any recommendations/changes/additions?

Also, what do you recommend for the rims and tires? How about the headlights and tail lights? And what about the metal bits--it'd be nice to have that Lexus symbol really sparkle! B)

Thanks to everyone in advance!

wow from all that

i must say you have alot of work to do

but it will look amazing after

get ready for the extra compliments :o

and i must say i am more than impressed on the way you looked over the threads to find an amazing ( but tedious) application to peice together

By hand you might want to swap Meguiars Scratch X for the SMR, the SMR will work fine though. You can apply it with a microfiber or terry towel and remove with a microfiber. I just got some Scratch X and find that it works better than Meguiars SMR by hand.

Only thing, you have the wax and sealant backwards. The sealant wont bond onto the finish if its already been waxed, thats the purpose of the dawn wash, to remove the old wax and let the sealant bond. You should seal with a couple layers, then wax it with the P21S.

Good luck!

I agree with SW, sealant, then wax. But after this initial use of Dawn, do NOT use it unless you want to remove the wax or sealant that is on the paint. Dawn is alkaline and that is why it does such a good job of removing things (including the wax). Buy some good car wash soap to use for your washes.

The clay is great! It really made me a believer and it is worth the effort to do it, just remember to not let it drop on the ground, cause after that, your better off throwing it out because if it picked up any dirt, you will be scratching your paint with it.

Good luck! Post some pics!

By hand you might want to swap Meguiars Scratch X for the SMR, the SMR will work fine though. You can apply it with a microfiber or terry towel and remove with a microfiber. I just got some Scratch X and find that it works better than Meguiars SMR by hand.

OK. I'll try the Meguiars Scratch X instead. Thanks for the recommendation.

Thanks also for the heads-up on the sealant/wax order (I'd hate to spend all that time just to mess it up at the end) and the note about the dawn wash. Only use when removing wax. Got it. :)

I was thinking of getting some Novus plastic cleaner for the headlights since one of them is pretty hazy. Sound OK?

Not sure yet what I'm going to put on the tires and the rims. Anyone have product recommendations for those?

Yeah the Novus is awesome stuff. You'll probably only need #1 and #2, #3 is pretty abrasive stuff.

I put the Poorboys on the wheels, and I use Meguiars Endurance gel on the tires. happy with both.

I put the Poorboys on the wheels, and I use Meguiars Endurance gel on the tires. happy with both.

Thanks for the recommendations. When you say Poorboys on the wheels, do you mean the Poorboys EX Sealant? Or are you referring to a different Poorboys product?

Follow-up question about the sealing/waxing: I read on Autopia that after sealing you should wait 24 hours before waxing. True? What's your take on this? I guess I had figured that it was going to be just one step after another 1-2-3 (unless my arms gave out).

If I'm supposed to wait 24 before using the P21s, should I keep the car garaged and not drive it in the interim (so as not to get any dirt on it)?

Yep, the EX on the wheels.

As for the waxing, some sealants like Klasse or Zaino are very tempermental and you even have to wait 24 hours to put a second coat on, not the case with the Poorboys from my experience and the experiences of those on here, Autopia or elsewhere. Poorboys is very forgiving. Some even think that it will bond to an imperfect surface, which is really unique for a sealant. You can wax right away.

Make sure you have as many coats of the EX on as you want though before you wax.