Flickering Gauge Lights

rubykey

I’ve been noticing that the glowing orange/red needle gauges (rpm, hot/cold, speedometer etc.) flicker on and off especially around the center of the gauge. It’s distracting so I was wondering if it was an indication that something is wrong.

Then yesterday I noticed that there was no orange glow to the speedometer gauge. How do I do I get my glow back and get the other gauges to stop flickering?

I’m hoping this will require one of those (duh!) simple solutions.

Thanks - Rubykey

no simple or cheap solution usually needs a new cluster for about a grand

ther eare some place that do fix them for less than 500

if they flicker the they are still working

if you put the dimmer switch one notch down it should help the needles from overheating and keep them on normally

yep a normal problem on the older es300s!try the junk yard or ebay for a new cluster and maybe you will get lucky and get a good one.for now try what sk said because that does help by lowering the switch.thank god i fixed mine because that used to drive me crazy so i know how you feel! ;)

Ouch... I am looking at a nice 93 lexus es300, but I noticed the guages had very dim light and were kind of burn't out in the middle... would this need a new cluster or just new lights? They are asking $4500 for it and it has a bit of rust above the door (about $300 to fix, I got an estimate), about 150k on it. I don't know if I should get it anymore... my dad's telling me the timing belt would need replaced and that would be $500 or more according to my Lexus dealership (haven't checked with toyota or a mechanic yet). The guy has had it since 75k and he never replaced the belt or heard of it at all ^_^. The book on it is $5315. I love the car though and I am definitly going to wait for another one if I don't go with this one. Any advice apperciated, thanks, and love the forum!!

well my advice is to save up a little more money and get a 94 up.much much better motor!if you have 4500 saved already then another 1 or 2 thousand will get you a good 94 with less milage!even a 95 or 96 aint out of the question!all depends were you look and just might get lucky!hope it works out either way :D

I just checked some older posts and the led's just seem to burn out on these, and it's $450 to get cathode's put in. Actually I have a car for sale for $4100 and about $100 saved up, and a laptop I cuold sell for $2,000. Problem is I can't find anything under $14,000 for sale around here. So does anyone know if that dash is going to be a problem? I need to know moe about the timing belt too. Thanks for the input ^_^.

Thanks for the dim view! :(

I did turn down the dimmer and the flickering stopped. As for the burned out speedometer gauge -- I can't see spending a grand to get that little light a glow. I'm not sure it ever worked for me. I can see the needle -- it just aint flashy red. Seems like one ought to be able to coat the gauge with something to give it some color. I'll just live with it as it is for the moment and keep an eye out for a cluster in case the inevitable leaves me and the entire insturment panel in the dark. Your tips were very helpful. Thanks for the input.

Thanks for the dim view! :(

I did turn down the dimmer and the flickering stopped. As for the burned out speedometer gauge -- I can't see spending a grand to get that little light a glow. I'm not sure it ever worked for me. I can see the needle -- it just aint flashy red. Seems like one ought to be able to coat the gauge with something to give it some color. I'll just live with it as it is for the moment and keep an eye out for a cluster in case the inevitable leaves me and the entire insturment panel in the dark. Your tips were very helpful. Thanks for the input.

no problem