92 Ls400 - Cel Code 55 And Od Off Codes 63 And 67

pete0621

I'm new to this site so please bear with me. A few weeks ago I bought a 1992 LS400 with 161,000 miles. Today my Check Engine Light came on so I retrieved the codes and got code 55. All I could find on this is that code 55 is KS Signal. What the heck does that mean?

Also, I got codes 63 and 67 from the OD/OFF light. I wasn't surprised by the transmission codes as I've been having to switch off the engine for 10 seconds after it reaches operating temperature in order to get it to shift properly into overdrive. What specifically do the 63 and 67 codes indicate? Anything I can fix without replacing the transmission. Am I making sense? Thanks

Couldn't find 63 or 67 in my list of trbl codes. Code 55 is indicating a problem with the knock sensor on bank 2 (passenger side) cylinders. The causes according to the manual are a short in the circuit to bank 2, a loose sensor, or an ECU problem. Don't have any personal experience with this fault so maybe others will chime in with more info.

That's good info. Any idea where solenoid #2 and speed sensor are located? I believe I can see two things with electrical connections on the top rear of the transmission. I've looked around for some detailed information and/or images, but so far no luck.

I've had those codes before, in fact, you can see them in my video tutorial on code reading: http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/intro/codereading.html

The problem symptom I had was that sometimes the car would hesitate and not shift into 3rd gear at the right time. It would just rev up and wouldn't shift until I let up on the gas and then accelerated again. At first this only happened once a month or so, but it got progressively worse to where it happened almost every day. I tried to diagnose the speed sensor but it read within spec. You need to drop the tranny oil pan to test the solenoid and I couldn't get the damn thing off :chairshot: . I decided to just replace both parts and have my mechanic install them since I couldn't get the pan off. I asked him to diagnose but he said it's tricky diagnosing intermittent problems. He recommended just replacing the parts since I had already brought them to him (bought online). Anyway, with the new parts and a tranny fluid change the problem is gone! Good luck!

I've had those codes before, in fact, you can see them in my video tutorial on code reading: http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/intro/codereading.html

The problem symptom I had was that sometimes the car would hesitate and not shift into 3rd gear at the right time. It would just rev up and wouldn't shift until I let up on the gas and then accelerated again. At first this only happened once a month or so, but it got progressively worse to where it happened almost every day. I tried to diagnose the speed sensor but it read within spec. You need to drop the tranny oil pan to test the solenoid and I couldn't get the damn thing off :chairshot: . I decided to just replace both parts and have my mechanic install them since I couldn't get the pan off. I asked him to diagnose but he said it's tricky diagnosing intermittent problems. He recommended just replacing the parts since I had already brought them to him (bought online). Anyway, with the new parts and a tranny fluid change the problem is gone! Good luck!

Lexls:

So what "parts" did you have to replace? Please share. Thanks.

I was referring to the parts from the codes, the #2 tranny solenoid and the speed sensor. I had both installed. Oh and this speed sensor is in the upper front area of the tranny on the drivers side. The exhaust goes really close to it but my mechanic was able to install the new one without removing the exhaust. Both speed sensors are the same part, as well as the solenoids in the tranny, just replace the correct one! This is what I paid for the parts, but it was well over a year ago so expect them to be more.

Transmission Solenoid Assy --- 85420-50020 --- $158.90

OD Direct Clutch Speed Sensor --- 89411-50010 --- $50.69

I was referring to the parts from the codes, the #2 tranny solenoid and the speed sensor. I had both installed. Oh and this speed sensor is in the upper front area of the tranny on the drivers side. The exhaust goes really close to it but my mechanic was able to install the new one without removing the exhaust. Both speed sensors are the same part, as well as the solenoids in the tranny, just replace the correct one! This is what I paid for the parts, but it was well over a year ago so expect them to be more.

Transmission Solenoid Assy --- 85420-50020 --- $158.90

OD Direct Clutch Speed Sensor --- 89411-50010 --- $50.69

listen up please.......the knock sensors are located under the intake, make sure u replace the wiring that leads up to the knock sensors as this is a known issue with these cars, knock sensors are about 125 dollars each

• 2 weeks later...

Okay....Problems solved. For the code 55 I used a stick to press on the knock sensor connection. This seems to have corrected the problem. For codes 63 & 67 I replaced the transmission shift solenoids. Had to drop the transmission pan to get at them. Also did a fluid (7 Qts. of Toyota type T-IV) and filter change. Now it shifts perfectly and no more blinking OD-OFF. The shift solenoids came in a pair. Part no. 52-9021 from Driveline Service of Las Vegas. Had to pay a bit more ($240.00) than another member cited, but what the heck. Sure beats the cost and hassle of a new transmission.