Changing Struts And Strut Mounts

Hi-

I need some help. I recently had the struts and strut mounts changed on my 99 ES300. I understand now that it's rare to need to change struts and that I probably only needed the mounts changed.

I've got these diagrams showing other parts that I think should have been changed when the struts and strut mounts were changed -like: strut mount bearing, upper coil insulators, lower coil insulators, strut bumpers, and strut mount bearings.

I paid $1,705 for the work, but not get all items above changed. Should the mechanic have changed these parts too? Is there some official source that I can turn to that states that all of these items need to be changed when struts and strut mounts are changed?

Thanks for any advice.

P.S. the $1,705 was for 4 new struts, 2 front strut mounts, one rear strut mount (which it turns out did not need to be changed), and one rear tie rod; the noise in the rear was the bent tie rod, not the strut mount, but I got charged for all of this.

• 1 year later...

If you paid for the parts, he should of replaced it. I got bilstien shocks and monroe strut mounts for my 98 LS400 for a total of $600 (ebay and shockwarehouse.com). Then i got them installed for $300 from local mechanic. I would recc. the oem struts (monroe sens-a-track). The ride with bilstien seems less smooth but only a everyday LS driver will notice. your passenger will ooze in your car regardless. B)

• 1 month later...
Hi-

I need some help. I recently had the struts and strut mounts changed on my 99 ES300. I understand now that it's rare to need to change struts and that I probably only needed the mounts changed.

I've got these diagrams showing other parts that I think should have been changed when the struts and strut mounts were changed -like: strut mount bearing, upper coil insulators, lower coil insulators, strut bumpers, and strut mount bearings.

I paid $1,705 for the work, but not get all items above changed. Should the mechanic have changed these parts too? Is there some official source that I can turn to that states that all of these items need to be changed when struts and strut mounts are changed?

Thanks for any advice.

P.S. the $1,705 was for 4 new struts, 2 front strut mounts, one rear strut mount (which it turns out did not need to be changed), and one rear tie rod; the noise in the rear was the bent tie rod, not the strut mount, but I got charged for all of this.

$1700 sounds about right for OEM parts. I would have opted for JICs or TEINs Coilovers for about $3-400 less but that's me. As far as the mechanic changing the parts, it's kind of up to you. I probably would have changed the parts since they'll eventually need to be replaced, and attempt to recover some cost back for the used parts for like a few hundred $$, and a local pick-up ONLY.