Key Program

scrappyslexus

• 2 weeks later...

Does the dealer have to do it? My dealer wants $115 per key.

Is that to program it only? My dealer charged me 1/2 hr labor, which came to $45 at the time. They master key was $200, though, and I was dismayed at having to pay this after shelling out so much money for the CPO vehicle that only came w/ 1 master key (and the salesman didn't mention anything of it when I bought the vehicle; I assumed it would have come w/ 2 master keys).

Is that to program it only? My dealer charged me 1/2 hr labor, which came to $45 at the time. They master key was $200, though, and I was dismayed at having to pay this after shelling out so much money for the CPO vehicle that only came w/ 1 master key (and the salesman didn't mention anything of it when I bought the vehicle; I assumed it would have come w/ 2 master keys).

Yes program only.

I believe a cpo vehicle requires two keys, but not necessarily two master keys. One master and one valet key would be sufficient for a cpo vehicle.

I believe a cpo vehicle requires two keys, but not necessarily two master keys. One master and one valet key would be sufficient for a cpo vehicle.

Yes, you are correct. This is what the salesman told me, but only AFTER I had bought the car and was picking it up. No mention of this before I bought the car. Had I known, I would have required them to provide a second master key as one of the conditions for delivery. I felt I was getting nickel-and-dimed after shelling out that much money on a vehicle. Then since they couldn't get the second master key from the previous owner, they mentioned they could delete that key from the ECU, but I had to pay 1/2 hr labor for this (in addition to the 1/2 hr labor to program the new key plus $200 for the new key). Lesson learned was, before you sign on the dotted line, make sure the vehicle comes w/ both master keys. One guy on the ih8mud forum bought a used landcruiser, only to find it had NO master keys, so he had to get an entire new ECU w/ pair of master keys after the fact.

Tell your dealer that Lexus of Tucson charges 1/2 hr labor. The labor rate here is cheap, too...$95/hr! The toyota dealer charges $120/hr!!