Ls 400+ Hood Struts

dcmcgo

I just purchased a pair of LS 400 Hood Shocks for $40 @ pair on Amazon. They arrived and with a 12 mm wrench I had them changed out in 20 minutes, with no alterations at all. The vendor is xxx in Amazon, just go to Amazon and look for your required models hood shock xxx Fit great and cheap the dealer here in Memphis wants $125 a piece for these things.

Enjoy

Danny

Danny:

welcome to the club. we usually don't recommend shops inside the Threads. I'm glad you found your hood struts on Amazon, but we really don't recommend suggested sources with the Link.

We usually recommend the dealers if you don't want to work on your car, and focus primarily on technical issues and opinions on what to use or how to do it.

this is the reason why I've edited your post.

Sorry.

UCF3

us.LexusownersClub.com

I bought mine on eBay with no issues for about 40.00. I also saw them at Autozone even though I could not find them in the online Autozone website. They were about 16.00 - 20.00 each. I would check there first.

Danny:

welcome to the club. we usually don't recommend shops inside the Threads. I'm glad you found your hood struts on Amazon, but we really don't recommend suggested sources with the Link.

We usually recommend the dealers if you don't want to work on your car, and focus primarily on technical issues and opinions on what to use or how to do it.

this is the reason why I've edited your post.

Sorry.

UCF3

us.LexusownersClub.com

Sorry UCF3, I was not aware. Thanks for your critique and fix.

some have said that the mighty-life hood supports sold at autozone are too stiff and cause trouble closing the hood, making the hood bow. any of those problems with the variety sold on ebay/amazon?

No, they are the exact replacement that Lexus would sell you. They fit and work perfectly, and need no alteration.

some have said that the mighty-life hood supports sold at autozone are too stiff and cause trouble closing the hood, making the hood bow. any of those problems with the variety sold on ebay/amazon?

No, they are the exact replacement that Lexus would sell you. They fit and work perfectly, and need no alteration.

Agreed. Mine worked perfectly.

Interestingly enough, I found that merely replacing one of the two old struts held the hoop open with no difficulty. Of course, I already owned two new ones before I made that discovery. :lol:

Agreed. Mine worked perfectly.

Interestingly enough, I found that merely replacing one of the two old struts held the hoop open with no difficulty. Of course, I already owned two new ones before I made that discovery. :lol:

I found that out as well, but decided to change them both.

My search for the Autozone Mighty-Lift should that there was no such part for a 1996 Lexus LS400.

Danny

• 6 months later...

This company was the perfect match for my hood supports on my 96 LS400, lift supports bolted right on, no modifications like many other posts mention, the hood opens up all the way, again a problem with other replacements (to short... hood misses last few inches of opening). They were $45.00 for the pair including shipping, took ten minutes (in 22 degree weather) to install. My hood actually lifts open by itself when I open it about the first 1/3 of the way up, and when I bring it down again, I can let it go about 1 1/2 feet above latch and it drops in place perfectly! The supports measured out to exactly the same length (20.46 inches extended) as OEM and the quality is excellent. Made by Strongarm. Seriously great company offering a complete list of replacements. If they are as good as what I got for my 1996 LS400 hood lifts supports, I bet they are good for what you need! Just go to the site and enter year/make/model etc... it offers measurements, and they matched mine OEM perfectly. Any way, do not mean to rave on, but this company was awesome for me, and saved me mega $$$$ vs. $98 a piece from LEXUS!!!.

LiftSupportsDepot.com

Odd, I'm a very long-term moderator on other forums and we encourage members... not vendors masquerading as members... to post information on good vendors and part numbers for things such as the above. Until it's determined it's just another vendor looking for business, I believe such posts shouldn't be over-moderated and censored. :censored:

I for one would have appreciated the part number and source for them. With such over-active censoring, forums such as this lose a LOT of their value.

Odd, I'm a very long-term moderator on other forums and we encourage members... not vendors masquerading as members... to post information on good vendors and part numbers for things such as the above. Until it's determined it's just another vendor looking for business, I believe such posts shouldn't be over-moderated and censored. :censored:

I for one would have appreciated the part number and source for them. With such over-active censoring, forums such as this lose a LOT of their value.

Good points. Can you mention the forums?

Good points. Can you mention the forums?

Hood struts on ebay at the moment for $25 pair.

I just got some ebay hood struts, and they don't have the ball joint connectors. Im not sure what I can do with them now, as there isn't really a way I can connect them to the car.

Be careful where you get them I guess.

Everyone loves a bargain. Problem is, as you found out, it's not a bargain when you're stuck with something you can't use and can't return.

• 2 years later...

You would think by 2002, Lexus would have figured out there hood struts are not up to snuff. I replaced mine with some from Autozone and they were cheap. I had to do some configuring to make them fit but it only took an hour total and I probably took a short break in the middle.